Author Topic: Game of Thrones: Panel vs. Autographing Chances  (Read 23436 times)

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
Re: Game of Thrones: Panel vs. Autographing Chances
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2015, 04:05:33 PM »
It is a damn shame they don't take better care of harbor side. It seemed more secure to me last year than the previous year. Simply put, most security and line workers outside at sdcc are clueless and meek. Inside is another story, they scream in your face if you do something wrong!
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2015, 05:05:07 PM »
I've never understood the whole thing with people lining up at the backside of the convention center. Is that a legit line or not? If it's not, why isn't there security there telling people to move away?

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #47 on: Today at 05:22:21 AM »

Offline oneroomdisco

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 197
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2015, 05:16:45 PM »
I've never understood the whole thing with people lining up at the backside of the convention center. Is that a legit line or not? If it's not, why isn't there security there telling people to move away?
I've always heard that it isn't, but at the same time, every year I've gone there end up being stories of people lining up in the back and then either getting in before everyone else/blending into the actual line once people start getting let in.

Sent from my KFAPWA using Tapatalk

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2015, 05:23:26 PM »
I've always heard that it isn't, but at the same time, every year I've gone there end up being stories of people lining up in the back and then either getting in before everyone else/blending into the actual line once people start getting let in.

Sent from my KFAPWA using Tapatalk

Yeah, exactly! Has anyone here ever lined up at the back? And what does security say to you about it?

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2015, 05:28:01 PM »
I've seen security back there telling people they can't. This is after people were let in the front and our lines got down to the marina and people tried to cut in there. I've never gone early morning to see what happens back there.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline mlgagne

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • By what right does the wolf judge the lion?
    • FoCC Blog Articles - mlgagne
  • Liked: 882
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2015, 05:41:35 PM »
Oh no, that sounds really unfortunate. I would think that they would try to enforce some kind of policy there, but maybe not amidst all of the chaos? I suppose these are all things to consider in the panel/autographing dilemma, though!
SDCC: 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019
WonderCon: 2017 | 2018 | 2019
NYCC: 2012 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016
Walker Stalker Con: 2015 (San Diego) | 2017 (Atlanta)

Offline vegasndn

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 160
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2015, 09:46:28 PM »
CCI should put those security guards that are on the tradeshow floor you know the ones that yell at you move along! You can't stand/sit there! No pictures! On the backside of the sails pavilion.

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
  • Liked: 1750
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2015, 05:07:52 AM »
On the back side of the building is where the security teams gather and get their assignments. With all of the confusion of people moving through Sails there are bound to be people slipping through. One way has been mentioned by a few of you in earlier posts but maybe also ticketing the exhibit hall line in some way to reduce cutting.

The other option is to have the vendors cut back on all the early morning ticket distributions. Have 2 or 3 a day to break up the crowd.
Time and Relative Dimension in Space - 'TARDIS' for short

Editor-in-Chief of the FoCC Blog

Offline mlgagne

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2015, 12:19:20 PM »
On the back side of the building is where the security teams gather and get their assignments. With all of the confusion of people moving through Sails there are bound to be people slipping through. One way has been mentioned by a few of you in earlier posts but maybe also ticketing the exhibit hall line in some way to reduce cutting.

The other option is to have the vendors cut back on all the early morning ticket distributions. Have 2 or 3 a day to break up the crowd.

I remember reading somewhere that NYCC does the huge autographings (i.e., The Walking Dead) as first come, first serve. The first 50 people or so who line up overnight get wristbands, and everyone else is out. I suppose that would be another solution, though SDCC seems to like doing things lottery style, so I'm guessing that it would probably never happen.

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2015, 01:16:51 PM »
NYCC a had its own issues with autograph drawings and the Walking Dead no longer sign there. They do have some sort of online lottery system and you will find my critiques of that in other posts.

The main issue for SDCC is due to timing of the drawing, the consolidation of all drawings, and popularity. In years past drawings were held throughout the day - generally an hour or 2 before the signing via lottery. Logistics became an issue and now almost everything is done in the morning. This forces you to chose. Do I like it nope but this is the way things are now.

My suggestion would be to have a friend go online with you to increase your chance. If one of you get it - great.

Offline vegasndn

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 160
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2015, 04:26:16 PM »

We did the Hasbro line Thursday morning lining up at about 3AM and they were apparently letting folks in via the harbor side which caused much chaos.   People were line jumping, etc.   Terrible, especially when they kept such close tabs on the line on the front side making sure there were no line jumpers.   We got to within 20 people of the front and they ran out of Hasbro tickets, so we were pretty mad since if there hadn't been as many line cutters, we probably would have gotten tickets.   

I have pretty much sworn off camping after that experience.
yeah that Hasbro line filled up quick along with the WB line so we just went and I'm I went out to try to get in line but the end of the line was way far back so I said screw it.

Offline mlgagne

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2015, 05:50:59 PM »
NYCC a had its own issues with autograph drawings and the Walking Dead no longer sign there. They do have some sort of online lottery system and you will find my critiques of that in other posts.

The main issue for SDCC is due to timing of the drawing, the consolidation of all drawings, and popularity. In years past drawings were held throughout the day - generally an hour or 2 before the signing via lottery. Logistics became an issue and now almost everything is done in the morning. This forces you to chose. Do I like it nope but this is the way things are now.

My suggestion would be to have a friend go online with you to increase your chance. If one of you get it - great.

Ahh, no wonder they didn't have a signing this year - sounds like that's out at NYCC. I'll have to look over your critiques for the online lottery - I've always been curious to how (and if) that works.

This is all good to know before showing up at SDCC - thanks for the insight! It does concern me that I'll be attending by myself, so that might not help my chances in getting lucky with autographs on this scale. So maybe the panel would be better for me? I might have to make a spreadsheet of pros and cons for both, ha!

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2015, 06:05:01 PM »
Two things:
1) at NYCC they have a lot of people signing but it is for a fee. The lines can be long but the talent are nice and from time to time they may walk the line themselves to say thank you for waiting - Stephen Amell did this a number of times (such a nice guy).

There are GOT cast but they not the main folks but I still go. I tend to spend a lot more at NYCC because I am paying for autographs.

2) at SDCC there is so much to do and so many people coming to sell or promote you have to pace yourself and be prepared to make a few hard choices.

There might be a glimmer of a chance NERD HQ will pull off a GOT panel. We will not know until a few days before the con or during the con itself so you may need to keep a pulse on announcements.

Offline mlgagne

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2015, 06:16:28 PM »
Two things:
1) at NYCC they have a lot of people signing but it is for a fee. The lines can be long but the talent are nice and from time to time they may walk the line themselves to say thank you for waiting - Stephen Amell did this a number of times (such a nice guy).

There are GOT cast but they not the main folks but I still go. I tend to spend a lot more at NYCC because I am paying for autographs.

2) at SDCC there is so much to do and so many people coming to sell or promote you have to pace yourself and be prepared to make a few hard choices.

There might be a glimmer of a chance NERD HQ will pull off a GOT panel. We will not know until a few days before the con or during the con itself so you may need to keep a pulse on announcements.

NYCC is actually much easier for me to get to since I live on the east coast, so I've been able to go twice. I've also had good experiences with paid autographs there, so that's a plus! I was even allowed to take photos when my sister and I met Nicholas Brendon, so I thought that was pretty cool! But, like you said, since it is paid and none of the major GOT cast members I've been dying to meet have been there, I decided against it last year.

Sounds like I will have to make some difficult decisions at SDCC, though. Though if NERD HQ did a panel, then I could probably try for the autographing and not have to worry about Hall H - sounds like it could be last minute and I may have to feel it out once I get there. Is NERD HQ offsite?

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2015, 06:19:43 PM »
Yes it is offsite. I love the panels there and the best part is that you do not have to invest a lot of time online as long as you have a ticket you have a seat.

There is a whole thread on Nerd HQ.