Author Topic: Walking Dead Season 9 *Spoilers*  (Read 14348 times)

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Walking Dead Season 9 *Spoilers*
« on: October 08, 2018, 09:05:31 AM »
Who is watching this season? What did you think of the first episode? As a fan of the comics, I was very pleased, especially by the parts with Gregory.

This is my review of the first episode of the season.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 12:35:07 PM by Transmute Jun »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Re: Walking Dead Season 9
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 11:46:21 AM »
Who is watching this season? What did you think of the first episode? As a fan of the comics, I was very pleased, especially by the parts with Gregory.

This is my review of the first episode of the season.

So far this is the best season in awhile, IMO!  I'm digging the character development & situation developments; I think focusing on the dynamics between the different settlements, as well as The Saviors being 'assimilated' into the societal fold.  For the first time in years I feel invested and interested in seeing just where all of this goes.  I kinda hate that a) Rick is exiting and thus b) the show making it a focal point in advertising or whatnot: it _COULD_ obfuscate the rest of the dynamics if handled not-so-great.  Before the season started I was real nervous the focus would be too heavy on Rick's exit, but I feel better about it after the first several eps.  I really think the internal changes have been a huge positive for this series!

Now the big question: how do you think Rick will exit?  Death?  Disappearing/leaving into the sunset?
Speculation: the 'civil war'ish strife will come to a head w/someone killing Rick (maybe pseudo-accidentally?) causing things to get worse before they rally together to deal with
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
, who will likely close out the first-half of the season with a show that they mean business (no spoilers, but comic readers know what I'm saying)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 01:11:18 PM by perc2100 »

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: Walking Dead Season 9 *Spoilers*
« Reply #2 on: Today at 04:03:44 AM »

Offline Devorah

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • If the apocalypse comes, beep me.
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 11:47:46 AM »
I haven't read the thread since I missed the last episode and don't know if there are *SPOILERS* so...

[member=314]Transmute Jun[/member] can you please add either Spoilers or No Spoilers to the subject line? Thanks :)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 01:14:06 PM »
I haven't read the thread since I missed the last episode and don't know if there are *SPOILERS* so...

[member=314]Transmute Jun[/member] can you please add either Spoilers or No Spoilers to the subject line? Thanks :)

FWIW, assuming you a) see AMC commercials for the show and you b) know a certain character is leaving the series, there aren't any spoilers.  I put one name in spoilers that is maybe more known to comic readers than just show watchers, but FWIW there have already been cast members announced for said...name.  I kept my post spoiler-free, and Transmute Jun mainly just posted a link to his review.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 01:38:21 PM »
Spoilers tag was placed in the title of the thread.

I agree with Perc that the group of people mentioned is clearly evident at the end of the season 9 trailer. They have not yet appeared on the show. The 'spoilers' involved in that are minimal, at best, and anyone who has not read the comics doesn't really understand what that's about anyhow.

Regardless, the point in taken that there are spoilers being discussed, hence the title change. ;)

And my episode reviews for the FoCC Blog are always published with a spoiler warning at the top. For those who are interested, here are the reviews for the last couple of episodes.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 12:12:39 PM »
This is my episode 4 review.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 09:36:38 AM »
This is my episode 4 review.

I agree with a lot of this.  The horse-bucking part was confounding, and I was with you, watching baffled, as the horse was seemingly the most chill horse I've ever seen for every moment except the convenient bad timing/location of bucking Rick.  But, I did appreciate the moment, as it felt like a nice callback to the pilot episode (minus the tank - and we'll see if the horse succumbs to the same fate as Rick's horse in the pilot).
I rolled my eyes at the machismo nonsense on display of Rick "fighting" Darryl in what seemed a bit out of character for Rick at this time in the series, but again the payoff (Rick calling Darryl 'brother') was worth it.

I definitely didn't think Rick would start his demise like this, that's for sure.  I wonder how much next week will be hallucinations and flashbacks, how Rick saves himself, etc.  I don't think there's any way Rick bleeds out/gets eaten while impaled by rebar.  I suspect he'll magically get off the rebar, head over to his insanely chill horse, cross the bridge (which probably will hold), and get back to his people.  And THEN die while saying proper goodbyes.  I'm holding judgement, but IDK if I'm a huge fan of this development (so far, this episode is my only 'huh/meh' moment of this youngish season).  The new showrunner seems not into the doom and gloom/nihilism of the last few seasons, so I can get shaping this big departure into more of a "popular TV show exit" type of thing rather than something darker: and I'm generally OK with that.  Rick/Lincoln has earned that, and after how they (WAY mis)handled Carl's death last year, this feels more like a proper pseudo-course correction.

In the comics, Negan didn't work well for me throughout much of the 'All-Out War' storyline.  He felt like the epitome of a comic booky badguy, and his dialogue really bugged me (note: as a 40+ year old he might not have been created for my demographic).  It wasn't until the aftermath/rebuilding/Whisperers storyline where I felt the character really became nuanced and clicked for me.  Just as the Governor before him, the show has handled Negan much better for the most part and I've been looking forward to his arc developing further long before Rick slashed his throat.  I'm really happy they kept Jeffrey Dean Morgan around (or rather, I'm glad he's staying around + the show is seemingly sticking to the comics script a bit here).  Shifting his interactions to Michonne makes a lot of sense, and I think it could work just as well as the comics with Negan + Carl.  Michonne is a criminally underdeveloped character, but in the books and in the show, and both have gone to greater links recently to fix that: I like this turn of Michonne confiding in Negan and vice versa and am interested to see where it goes.

The real question mark for me is what happens next w/everyone else in the communities.  The civil war-esque plotline that feels developing seems both a realistic 'growing pains' kind of turn, but also a retread.  With the 1 year+ time jump, logically I would've thought these growing pains would've significantly eased up before now.  Part of me, though, is glad we're not jumping right into "big bad of the season/half-season/year" with the Whisperers - a group that overstayed their welcome in the comics.  If things work out the way I think they will, I'm glad (hoping?) The Whisperers won't be a dozen-episode+ arc but only time will tell.  While I'm more interested in getting to the Commonwealth and expanding our characters' world even more, I'm OK with teasing that out a bit longer.
I guess a secondary question is what's up with the helicopter: and who's Jadis talking to/dealing with/trading human beings for supplies with?!?!  Episode 3 dropped a huge bombshell with no real followup (I think?).  The Jadis & Gabriel relationship is interesting enough I guess, but feels more like wheel-spinning/servicing the actors more than the story.

Well, next week we raise a glass for Rick (I think ep. 4 all but confirmed he's likely dying and not just riding off into the sunset).  To be honest, I'm more excited for this season of TWD than I have been in years!  I'm legit interested in "what's gonna happen next," even if I'm anxious to move past Rick's demise and get on with things.  Part of me wishes Kirkman would've 'left' Rick in the comics and shifted focus on others, and I agree with Lincoln and other cast members this is going to hopefully be a good direction for the show

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 12:14:14 PM »
The problem I have with shifting focus to other characters in the show is that those other characters might be Daryl... and I've always found Daryl to be kind of boring. He's not interesting, he's not fun to watch... he's just kind of there, and pouty when necessary for plot.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying, and I too think it is likely that Rick will get to the horse and leave... and probably lead off the herd to save everyone in the process. He may lead them onto the bridge, which would then be demolished to destroy the herd. I'd like to think that he might get traded to the helicopter people and therefore we might see him again... but I agree that's not looking likely at this point.

I'm wondering if the helicopter people are the Commonwealth. They mentioned this past episode that Maggie is receiving letters from Georgie, so there's definitely a connection.... although Georgie isn't officially Pamela Milton either... yet... ;)

I agree, Negan added a lot more interest to his characters with the Whisperers arc, and I am looking forward to it.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 09:28:56 AM »
The problem I have with shifting focus to other characters in the show is that those other characters might be Daryl... and I've always found Daryl to be kind of boring. He's not interesting, he's not fun to watch... he's just kind of there, and pouty when necessary for plot.
Great point, and I 100% agree with this.  Even episodes the last season and change that focused more on Daryl it kind of blew my mind how "flat" his character fells.  Michonne was the same way, but she's been developing nicely lately.  I was hoping Maggie would take more of a front seat lead, but with her leaving that's obviously not the long-term solution.  The Whispers will also likely thin the heard quite a bit, if the comics are any indication
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Now that I think about it I hope Daryl doesn't become the big lead of the show: he really does seem like the least interesting character (or at least, least interesting main/featured character).  I've never really gotten his overwhelming popularity with fans of the show

Whoa: I wonder if I'm now feeling like non-SW fanatics who wonder WTH is the deal with Boba Fett's popularity?!  :P

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2018, 11:33:49 AM »
LOL!

Last summer (before this season began) I was guessing that Rick would suffer the fate of the person you mentioned in the spoiler tag, and that would be his exit from the show. I figured that would be a great midseason finale.

But what do I know?

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2018, 07:18:31 PM »
From You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Do you have a message for fans of the series?

I'd like to express my gratitude for their humor, passion, loyalty and ferocity, and, particularly to the people with tattoos, I am astonished by your commitment to this story. The thing that I will miss a lot is Comic-Con in San Diego and New York because that one-on-one dialogue with fans and getting that direct feedback is something that I'd never experienced in my career and that is extraordinary. For that, I thank everybody across the world, really. I said it in a mailer to] the press: From Tokyo to Trinidad, everywhere I go there's people grabbing me and just saying, "Please kick Negan's ass!" This experience has been rare and unique and I know it won't be repeated. This has been the greatest rollercoaster ride of my career.

Maybe you'll be back at Comic-Con for those movies…
You never know! I'd like to think I'd get an invitation! [Laughs.]

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2018, 10:28:40 PM »
I had mentioned to others I thought the whole Rick thing was trickery and sure enough it was.  I liked the episode though.  Finally, Judith is older, that storyline was killing me!
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2018, 09:58:33 AM »
LOL!

Last summer (before this season began) I was guessing that Rick would suffer the fate of the person you mentioned in the spoiler tag, and that would be his exit from the show. I figured that would be a great midseason finale.

But what do I know?
That would've been such a great gut punch! 

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2018, 10:16:14 AM »
I had so many feelings about this episode. You can find them all in my episode review.

And yep, I start with the 'big one'.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2018, 01:29:42 PM »
I had so many feelings about this episode. You can find them all in my episode review.

And yep, I start with the 'big one'.
Alright, I had to watch this ep. twice to gauge my complacency with the last scene vs my disappointing frustration.

Like you, Transmute Jun, there was soooo much to like in this episode: like, literally everything but the last scene was pretty much the perfect goodbye to Rick, and a solid episode altogether.  I was really feeling tepid going into the episode the first time with the flashbacks/hallucinations (I wasn't 100% sure which they'd be before the episode), but each one was perfect: the soul, heart, and minds or Rick, so-to-speak, speaking to Rick about his journey and decisions was spot-on!  It was hard not to get a little extra emotional with his 'chat' with Hershel, given the actor's recent death and knowing this was likely his final performance.  All of his hallucinations along the way were really well done, from writing + staging + acting.

The 'side stories' were also really compelling.  Maggie's chat with Negan added nice depth for a character many fans might be feeling has overstayed his welcome (note for those not-reading the books: Negan has a substantial role coming down the pipe - a very different role than from All-Out War).  Actress Lauren Cohan has also left the series for now, and she went out fairly strong with her interactions w/Negan!  We'll see how they write her off next week or later.

And then we had Rick's...IDK what to even call it: bamboozlement?  Faux exit?  We obviously knew he likely wouldn't bleed out on rebar, or become Zombie Thanksgiving Feast.  I don't know what I thought would happen, but it all felt like "right" to me for the most part.  When Rick got back to his family at the bridge, it was incredibly moving: the look of him recognizing he wouldn't die alone, that he would be recognized as doing the right thing: making the right decisions to protect his people.  When he self-sacrificed by shooting the dynamite, the look on Daryl's face was worth a million thoughts (and is probably the best acting Reedus has ever done on the show, and I don't mean that in a snarky way).  Michonne breaking down slayed me a bit as a husband, at the mere thought of watching my spouse end her life to save the rest of her family: knowing it's the right thing but still not wanting to see my love's life end.  Perfection!

It was the perfect goodbye for an actor and character who deserves it: who earned it.  His death resonated.  As the lead of a popular show his death hit all the right points: was earned; emotionally hit the right points; happened while Rick was being heroic.  He had the perfect hero's death, and was the absolute ideal way for Rick Grimes to end his run in the Walking Dead world.

Except he didn't die.

Sigh.. ::)

Reading an interview with Lincoln yesterday, he flat-out said AMC executives didn't want to kill off Rick and instead want to exploit the situation to get even more TWD content (in this case a slew of TV movies).  I won't get into the kinda pathetic corporate greed angle of this decision (profit over art/best narrative decisions), and will only focus on the story aspects.
And in that regard, it's confounding.  A fanbase that was livid with Glenn's dumpster diving miraculous save is likely not a fan of this turn.  It's hard to think too logically about a show that features reanimated corpses as the title character, but even by this show's physics and logic there is little/no plausible explanation to Rick looking/acting stable in that helicopter ride (that happened to have necessary medical equipment/drugs on board just in case?!).  Even the first scenes with Jadis were pretty great: the shot of the non-moving/dead zombies going downstream was an awesome one!  Until the camera panned to Rick laying on the beach somehow (even though no other zombie made it there).  Jadis "rescuing" Rick felt incredibly disingenuous in multiple ways.  The logic of the whole thing was really lame for me.  The advertising and what not was also horrible.  And maybe I wouldn't have minded too much if TWD didn't pull a similar stunt with Glenn.  But the history of the writing of this show exposes what has been historically a major weakness with lame plotting, making big decisions based off of maybe not the right reasons (side note: yes, I understand network/cable TV is all about business and commerce and of course AMC wants to keep milking their cash cow - but from a pure narrative perspective it's problematic).  In the pit of my gut I had a bad feeling AMC/TWD would pull that kind of a stunt - not killing Rick and keeping them in their back pocket until such time as they want to exploit his character.  Linoln has to be stoked for being able to have his cake and eat it too (side note: what if this leads to a "Walking Dead: London" spinoff, as the actress who plays Jadis is also British).

The real question: was that "j/k - Rick is alive and well and will be back someday" twist enough to sour me on the episode? 
After rewatching the ep. knowing the twist, I realized quickly it doesn't.  A lot of poor twists torpedo the rest of the episodes for me (again, see Glenn's dumpster fun) but this kind of didn't change much for me.  It definitely de-legitimized (might've just made the word up - sorry) the emotional heft that came before it but everything else worked well.  This was a strong episode regardless of Rick's fake-out exit.

It will be curious to see explicitly what the show does form here.  I like the time-jump (though IDK about Judith being that competent with that caliber of a pistol, but I'm willing to give benefit of the doubt in a zombie apocalypse).  I can't wait to see what our communities look like.  We're clearly gearing up for Whisperers (the main female intro'ed was introduced only a few issues before Whisperers) but I'm more interested in the dynamic of the communities, who is leading, etc.