Author Topic: SDCC 2016 GENERAL REGISTRATION Discussion Thread  (Read 50339 times)

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
Re: SDCC 2016 GENERAL REGISTRATION Discussion Thread
« Reply #225 on: February 17, 2016, 08:52:02 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The buyer can request a refund, but unless SDCC has specifically stated in their Terms that the items you buy could potentially be shipped to another person, they're on the hook - legally - to send the item to the buyer regardless if a refund option is available.

You simply can't send an item to someone who didn't pay for it. It doesn't belong to them (in SDCC's eyes) regardless if they paid the buyer or not.

Zero, I didn't quite follow your scenario :) I'm sorry! I think I'm using the term "buyer" here as the person who's credit card was used.

Having a refund option does not get SDCC off the hook to fulfill a purchase order to the person who paid and entered their address. You just can't do that without permission from the buyer.

According to CCI, the "buyer" is basically the Member ID (plus registration code) used to log into the EPIC online waiting room.  If that person gets selected to go through to the badge purchase page, then the "buyer" enters in up to three Member IDs and selects which days to purchase for each Member ID.  Once they get through that process, the "buyer" enters in the payment information.  However, the payment information could be a family member or friend's credit card information, so the "buyer" may not actually be making the physical purchase.  In the scenario you mentioned, it would mean that the badges would have to go to the person whose name is on the credit card, which may or may not be true for all cases.

For example, my friend logged into the waiting room using her own Member ID and registration code on her own computer.  She was the first one to get through to the badge purchase page in our group.  She's considered the "buyer" at this point.  Then, she gets badges for two other people in our group (for a total of three Member IDs, including hers).  However, I let her use my credit card information for the payment page, but the shipping address she entered in is her home address (not my mailing address that is linked to the credit card).  Therefore, according to the FAQs, CCI would be shipping all of the badges to her place, not mine (even though I'm listed on the credit card for payment).

I hope that helps in clarifying things.  ^__^d

Quick update for everyone keeping up with this thread:

I'm actually in an on-going e-mail dialogue with CCI in regards to the questions addressed in one of my earlier posts (click You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login), so let's see how this goes.  I may get another response from them... 

As usual, I'll make a post in this thread with any further updates.  ^__^d

(Round three of e-mails has started!  We will get to the bottom of this eventually, my forum friends.)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 09:29:03 PM by Zero »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline TheToucanHasLanded

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #226 on: February 17, 2016, 09:02:42 PM »
Got it!

I was looking at the buyer from a different perspective. I'm looking at the buyer as the person who fills out the credit card payment screen.

Example:
I go online.
I buy an item.
I enter a shipping address.
I enter my credit card. (Or someone else's)
I enter a billing address.
Transaction complete.

As a consumer, I expect everything in my order to be shipped the the shipping address I entered. If I buy a friend (Sarah) a pair of pants on Amazon, as the "buyer" I have to choose if I want the pants shipped to her or to me. That is an active choice I make during checkout. If I entered my address for delivery, Amazon couldn't then email me and say "oh, Sarah has ordered a shirt that goes with those pants, so we're going to send those pants to her directly."

You gotta get the buyer's permission to do that. It's just good business practice to avoid lawsuits.

I'm not saying that's why SDCC made their decision. I just see it from a legal standpoint it could get dicey.

*EDIT* They could avoid all this by simply adding a checkbox "I agree that badges in my order may, in some cases, be shipped to the Member directly."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 09:18:42 PM by TheToucanHasLanded »

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #227 on: Today at 06:35:56 AM »

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #227 on: February 17, 2016, 09:42:42 PM »
Comic-Con Toucan blog update regarding shipping badges:

Updated my post:
Click You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login!

Q: I bought three badges during Attendee Preregistration, and a friend was able to get me one more during Open Registration. Which buyer will my badges be sent to?

A: All badges will be shipped to the buyer only, regardless of when they were purchased. The three badges you purchased during preregistration will be sent to you, and the last badge purchased during Open Registration will be sent to your friend, and you will be responsible for retrieving it from him/her.

(There is an underlying implication,
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
)

--------------------

Here's another interesting tidbit from the latest FAQ:

Q: Will you be shipping child badges?

A: No, child badges will not be shipped in advance. You may register your child (age 12 and under) for a complimentary badge when you arrive onsite.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 09:52:50 PM by Zero »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #228 on: February 18, 2016, 06:18:53 AM »
The need to register children onsite makes sense, since their badges are free and the policy could easily be abused. They want to look at the child before issuing a badge.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #229 on: February 18, 2016, 06:40:18 AM »
Q: I bought three badges during Attendee Preregistration, and a friend was able to get me one more during Open Registration. Which buyer will my badges be sent to?

A: All badges will be shipped to the buyer only, regardless of when they were purchased. The three badges you purchased during preregistration will be sent to you, and the last badge purchased during Open Registration will be sent to your friend, and you will be responsible for retrieving it from him/her.

)

I think this indicates a major shift in how cci thinks about badges & PV nite.  It's gonna be different but i think, will keep cci current in the world of technology and ticketing processes.  I for one am glad cci is making the shift to RFID even tho there might be speed bumps, I trust them to work in our best interests.
I would much rather an organization take a leap of faith with new technology then stay in the past.  the advantages of the 'leaps' can be huge.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline bettiebloodshed

• Gaming Lounge
    • My cosplay page!
  • Liked: 49
« Reply #230 on: February 18, 2016, 07:30:40 AM »
I like that I got to enter a ship to address for the badges though. I have my home address  on my member id and I can't have anything shipped to the house. Things get stolen off porches all the time but are marked as delivered. Everything larger than a letter goes to work. (It's a good neighborhood...but there's major package thefting.)

What would be nice for next year is an option to put a different ship to address on your member id.

This is slightly off topic but man I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue! I have everything delivered to my father's gated community now, because my packages are stolen off my door stoop as well, despite my neighbor hood being fine. :c
Owner of When Nerds Attack .com

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #231 on: February 18, 2016, 08:20:18 AM »
i'm going to assume the badges will be mailed out via the usps, hopefully with tracking.  and not delivered as a pkg on the front stoop
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline catvonawesome

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 359
« Reply #232 on: February 18, 2016, 08:24:44 AM »
and not delivered as a pkg on the front stoop

Therein lies the problem....even with tracking they can just leave the package on the stoop. What is required to not just leave the package is tracking and "signature required." This costs $2.45 more on a priority package. (perhaps the shipping costs are why the badge prices went up a bit this year.) But, with tracking, it should show an out for delivery date so you would know to stay at home. (But, that's also an issue here. Sometimes my mailman comes at 10am. Sometimes he comes at 6:30pm!  I do not live in a very efficient city.)

I ship stuff to customers a lot. There's really rarely a problem. But, I have had several people miss that their packages are sitting on their porch and have even called me a week after delivery to say they don't have it. When I track it, its "left on porch." If you really want to be sure, have the badges shipped somewhere you know a person will be physically receiving it.

I'm super pro-RFID and the shipping despite all that!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 08:29:44 AM by catvonawesome »
Do these tacos taste funny to you?

Offline BadWolf

• Volunteer HQ
  • It's all the same to the many faced god.
  • Liked: 691
« Reply #233 on: February 18, 2016, 09:00:39 AM »
I just read the last 3 pages and I'm even more confused. CCI would split up a badge? What if you got 4 nights and someone else gets you preview night?

Gah, I hate that they keep changing the system just when I get used to it.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #234 on: February 18, 2016, 09:37:33 AM »
Comic-Con Toucan blog update regarding shipping badges:

Updated my post:
Click You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login!

)
Curious what you mean here; can you PM me the implication?

Offline epicaz

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 264
« Reply #235 on: February 18, 2016, 09:39:13 AM »
Wow, I'm really surprised they decided to split up the badge. So this means no consolidated 4 day badges for those who used two different sales

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #236 on: February 18, 2016, 10:03:24 AM »
Wow, I'm really surprised they decided to split up the badge. So this means no consolidated 4 day badges for those who used two different sales

Unfortunately this has created more work for them.  At first I thought they were just being stupid.  However, the argument above about the legal issues of shipping to a buyer make sense and complicates things.  With two separate buyers they become two separate purchased items. 

I'm guessing they have out weighed the cost though and these complications are minimal compared to the hassles the RFID save them from.
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #237 on: February 18, 2016, 10:16:48 AM »
Unfortunately this has created more work for them.  At first I thought they were just being stupid.  However, the argument above about the legal issues of shipping to a buyer make sense and complicates things.  With two separate buyers they become two separate purchased items. 

The sad thing is, though, that TheToucanHasLanded was right, above. All they would need to do is add a line to their terms and conditions stating that all badges would only be shipped to the address listed in the Member ID, and then as long as you checked the box they'd be fine.

Offline mlgagne

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • By what right does the wolf judge the lion?
    • FoCC Blog Articles - mlgagne
  • Liked: 882
« Reply #238 on: February 18, 2016, 10:25:36 AM »
Yikes, THIS is going to be interesting to explain to the buying groups!

I agree with TheToucanHasLanded and semigeekgirl below - this could have been solved with a simple check box at the end of the purchase and in their terms & conditions. They could then ship all badges to each attendee with a Member ID registered address within the US, and international buyers could simply just pick up on site.

On an unrelated note, I also just found out today how much money I owe in taxes this year, and I've been cringing ever since. In other words, PLEASE no more surprises today, CCI!  :o

Edit: Just to add - thanks for sharing and updating all of your badge mailing inquiries, Zero!  :)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 10:27:56 AM by mlgagne »
SDCC: 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019
WonderCon: 2017 | 2018 | 2019
NYCC: 2012 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016
Walker Stalker Con: 2015 (San Diego) | 2017 (Atlanta)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #239 on: February 18, 2016, 10:28:36 AM »

We DO NOT know this is the case, it's just being implied.  I fully anticipate getting more info on this, hopefully shortly but it may take a while as the *first thing* we need to do is to buy our badges tomorrow!  Saturday!<brainburn>

LOL
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 10:31:41 AM by alyssa »