Author Topic: Hotel Review and Feedback Thread  (Read 84133 times)

Offline foxbatkllr

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 175
Re: Hotel Review and Feedback Thread
« Reply #105 on: July 24, 2017, 10:24:25 AM »
Name of Hotel: Hotel Solamar

Type of Room: King

Number of Nights You Stayed: 4 Nights

Year(s) You Stayed There: 2017

Hotel Review:

* Were there any dining options inside or near the hotel?
Lots of dining options.  Located in the middle of a lot of restaurants and also very close to Subway.  Dining options was one of the bright spots of the location.

* How was the hotel staff?
   Probably the friendliest staff of any hotel I've stayed at for SDCC

* Did you order room service?
   No

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them?
   Did not use any of them, but they have a rooftop pool that looks pretty nice.  They do offer coffee and iced tea in the lobby every morning and afternoon, which was pretty good.  It beat hotel room coffee by a long shot.  They do not have coffee makers in the room, so you do have to get dressed and go down to the lobby to get your morning fix.

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels?
The room was adequate in size.  Not that memorable.  TV was larger than most hotels, but the remote was not fully compatible with their TV menu.

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot?
    About ten minute walk to the convention center.

* Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)?
  Yes, terribly thin.  We could hear our neighbors and their TV very well.  I really felt like we had no privacy.  Fortunately other than the first day the neighbors were not loud so we were able to sleep.  For the Nat Geo pool party on Saturday night it really wasn't that bad.  I've stayed at hotels with worse noise outside (like Hard Rock).  It's the room to room walls and hallway walls that were not acceptable.  I did complain to the hotel (I've never complained to a hotel before, I'm not really one to fuss) and they offered an apology, but not really any solution.

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?
   Yes.  That was appreciated.

* Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above?
   No celebrity sightings.  Parking cost is outrageously expensive at $49/day, valet only.  We had two cars (not normal, but a necessity this year due to our kid) so it cost us a fortune.

What did you like about staying at this hotel?

Staff was super nice.
Rooms were clean
Free wifi
Good free coffee, even though I didn't like getting dressed to get it
Not crowded
Good location for food
Close enough to walk to convention in costume without too much pain

Edit:  Angology's post reminded me.  The Solamar room does have a sliding bathroom door.  It wasn't an issue for me and its not super close to the bed, but it may be an issue for some.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 01:53:16 PM by foxbatkllr »

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #106 on: July 24, 2017, 11:36:18 AM »
Name of Hotel: Marriott Marquis

Type of Room: King, Bayview with Balcony
Number of Nights You Stayed: 5 Nights

Year(s) You Stayed There: 2001, 2015, 2017

Hotel Review:

Several restaurants in the hotel, including a pop-up "beer and sushi" place in the North Tower.  But, the sushi was awful.  I ate and drank at the Marina Kitchen and Tequila Bar.  Both nice.

Fine.  Everyone was pleasant

No, I never do.

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them?
   I used the pool once on Wednesday.  Never used the gym.  There's a spa that I didn't use.

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels?
I was by myself and the room was very spacious.  I had a couch to throw my stuff on.  But, I should noted that I reserved the room separately for Tuesday night and it is a higher priced room.  They let me keep it for the rest of the con.

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot?
I think the MMM is deceptive.  Obviously, it is next to the convention center and, even, part of it.  But, if you want to get to the far side of the convention center or go to Indigo Ballroom, you have to deal with a lot of people in your way.

* Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)?
  No problem with noice

Only if you are a member of their frequent stayer club.

* Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above?

I really don't love this hotel.  As a venue for the convention, it feels like you never left the convention.  As you head to the elevator, you have to navigate displays, and people sitting on the floor and chairs who probably aren't guests.  Also, if you want to attend offsites, eat in the Gaslamp, or parties--which I do extensively--they are always across the tracks.  Getting back from a late night party means a longer walk than if you are staying IN the gaslamp.

Good staff
Rooms were clean
Marina Kitchen bar to have a night cap before going to bed.
Place to get late night food to take to room

What did you NOT like about staying at this hotel?

Wrong side of the tracks for evening and offsite activities
People, people everywhere

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #107 on: Today at 02:30:56 PM »

Offline jamiesugah

• Hall H
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 494
« Reply #107 on: July 25, 2017, 10:35:25 AM »
Name of Hotel: Marriott Marquis & Marina

Type of Room: Double (two beds)

Number of Nights You Stayed: 5

Hotel Review:

MMM has several but the only one I used was the Exchange Pantry, which was pretty good. Also not that far of a walk to the Seaport Village.

* How was the hotel staff?  Were they polite and courteous?
Staff was very nice, though I only dealt with them checking in and checking out.

No, it's an $8 charge and it's billed to the room, so I just went down and picked it up.

Did not use the pool, mostly because I didn't think to bring my swimsuit, but I was a little disappointed in the vending options. First, there was no ice bucket in the room (I assume you had to call down for one), and there was only a drink machine (no snacks) with only six options.

There were five of us so it was gonna be a little crammed no matter what, but last year I was in the Hilton Gaslamp and the MMM was a bigger room.

Short walk to the convention center, longer walk to the Bayfront where all my press stuff was. Walking back to the hotel from Petco felt really long.

I don't think it was more noticeable than usual, at least from other rooms or the hallway. We did have Syfy Live right outside our hotel, but at least that was during the afternoon.

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?  For Marriott Rewards members only.

Elevators are slow. There are five, but there are so many people that you may have to wait through two or three before you can find one that isn't full. But since they were filming Syfy Live, I did spy a couple of celebrities in the elevator.

-Nice view (could keep an eye on all the lines)
-Celeb sightings
-VERY close to some con functions (did not do any of them this year, though)
-Short walk to convention center

Finally, what didn't you like about staying at this hotel?
-Too many people! Everything was always busy
-Too far from press functions
-Too far from Gaslamp/offsites
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 10:37:44 AM by jamiesugah »
Author/Editor at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Twitter: @jamiesugah

Offline Pyramid

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Comic Con is a Black Hole for my wallet.
  • Liked: 549
« Reply #108 on: July 25, 2017, 11:24:57 AM »
Name of Hotel:  Hilton Bayfront

Type of Room: Double queen

Number of Nights You Stayed: 6

Hotel Review:

Yes, there are several place to eat at the Hilton Bayfront:  Fox Sports Grill, a restaurant, and a pop up food stand which sells breakfast burritos, cookies, soda, water, hamburgers, hot dogs, fries, etc.  Their Meal Deal is $14 for either a hot dog or hamburger, fries, and a drink.

Staff was polite and courteous for the most part.

No, too expensive.

The Hilton Bayfront has several amenities such as the Club Pool, gym, spa, grill, restaurant, gift shop, but I never used them.

The AC can cool down a room to 68* which was very comfortable.

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays?
NA.  Flew into SD.

Perhaps the biggest perk the Bayfront offers is that it is the closest hotel to Hall H.

I am very sensitive to sound and I didn't hear anyone walking in the room above us or noise from either side.  People talking in the hall was loud but it didn't occur too much.  I am not sure if it was the FX or Adult Swim side event which was right outside the Bayfront or the Club Pool but music could be heard late into the night.

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?  (Yes or No)
Yes, if you are a Hilton Honors member (which is free).

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get?
I joined the Hilton Honors program before checking in but could not get any double points on my stay.  ??? 

When we first took the elevator to our room, Rob Liefeld hopped on.  We talked and said goodbye.  Josh Barnett was apparently also staying there.

- Very close location to the convention center
- Customer service was pleasant.
- Restaurants located inside of the hotel.
- Excellent view from your room!
- We saw a few celebrities and artists.
- Immediate hot water in the shower.

-  My family and I found their beds to be very uncomfortable.  My wife and I usually only experience this on air mattresses.  They also didn't use fitted sheets so the bottom sheet always became a mess during the night.
-  We also had to make multiple requests for towels and in room coffee.
-  Mildew in the shower and water marks on the bathroom ceiling gave the room a slummy feel.
-  Carpet wasn't always vacuumed.
-  Refrigerators are available on a first come first serve basis. 
Twitter feed:  wes@comicconster

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #109 on: July 25, 2017, 12:11:45 PM »
Name of Hotel: Omni Downtown/Gaslamp

Type of Room: (Did your room have 1 king-sized bed, 2 full-sized beds, or another type of bed?  Did you have a suite?) 1 king sized bed

Hotel Review:

* Were there any dining options inside or near the hotel? Yes-Inside and out
Had the breakfast sandwiches from the in house coffee shop Zumbido on the days we needed to get out and about. They ran a comic-con special of $6. They were filling and very good. They did also have sandwiches for lunch, which were also at a reduced price.

McCormick & Schmick's was the on site restaurant. It is a pricey one, but I did see that they had cheaper grab and go options, which is nice.

There were also a lot of options close by, including some cheaper ones like Subway and Crunchtime (has hot dogs-got a Chicago Style one with my e-coin card)

* How was the hotel staff?  Were they polite and courteous? They were very nice. We checked in online. The earliest time we could pick was 3:00pm, but our key was waiting for us when we got in around 1:00pm (we had noted during check in that we would be in earlier than 3:00pm). They have a board where they put your key card under your name. They were the exclusive SDCC cards, and they did let me switch one out for a Supernatural card. They greeted me as I picked up my key card, and were very cordial. Everyone always had a smile and a hello when you saw them in the hallways. Oh, and they didn't bug us every day about not having housekeeping clean up our room (some hotels get very obnoxious about it).

* Did you order room service? No

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them? No. We could see the pool from our room, but much of the space was taken up by the Wired magazine setup. However-there were four towels in our room! That was a first (I may have put something in my Select Guest profile, but it usually gets ignored at other hotels where I mention it).

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels? Yes-it was a nice size. Bigger than some of the MMM rooms we have stayed in, and the Hotel Z from last year.

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays? Did not drive

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot? A short walk to the convention center, but you had to travel through the crowded intersection between the Hard Rock and the Hilton Gaslamp. Not a big deal-I like being in the thick of it!

* Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)?Somewhat thin. Heard some discussions from the next room, and was awake early one morning, and could make out their alarm going off (it did not wake me-I was already awake). The Wired Cafe was below us, and the music was loud all day, but was not going on at night. We did watch enviously as people enjoyed the brunch/free ice cream! :)

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?  (Yes or No) Yes, for Omni Select members (free sign up online)

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get? Yes. You get free WiFi and online check-in

* Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above? No celebrity sightings.

Since you might have already wrote about it from the questions above, just make a quick list about the things you liked the most about your stay at this particular hotel.

* close location to the convention center-definitely!
* had great customer service-staff was always friendly
* close to a lot of restaurants

Tell us about anything that negatively impacted your stay at this particular hotel that you may not have already mentioned above. 
The infamous sliding bathroom door is an odd choice. There wasn't a way to completely close it off. I stayed with my husband, but I still don't want to be a part of every part of his life (and vice versa!) I can imagine it would be uncomfortable for roommates that don't know each other well. I don't think it's a deal breaker, for my situation anyway.
Ang

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
« Reply #110 on: July 26, 2017, 11:29:35 AM »
Name of Hotel: San Diego Marriott Gaslamp

Type of Room: King for 2 people

Year(s) You Stayed There: (Type in the actual year: 2012, 2013, 2014, etc.) 2017

Hotel Review:

Clean, cosy hotel close to the convention but off to the side so you can get a respite from the chaos  A little less fancy than I was expecting but it did what it was supposed to do.  The WB facades in the elevator were a nice touch.  Definitely not Starwood quality but if you want a clean, quiet hotel that is extremely convenient to the convention, this is the place. 

Soleil restaurant is typical hotel dining but it was close to other options like the Broken Yolk Cafe or Old Spaghetti House.  Avoid the subway across the street.  Broken Yolk has Taco specials that are comparable and taste much better. 

Not the most efficient but nice

?

Not the biggest but we slept ok.  Not pleased about getting a king bed but at least we weren't on top of each other

5 minutes assuming the people traffic moved at a normal pace.  Definitely no more than 10.  I'm a New Yorker and am used to walking around and navigating crowds so my perspective may be different. 

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get?

Wifi is free for members. 

Buzzfeed hosted the WB party here.  There's a Business center to print stuff. 

Close to the convention but far enough if you wanted a respite from the chaos.  There was a postal Annex across the street which was convenient as we had a ton of stuff to ship back home. 

They gave us a king bed but because they thought it was only 1 person instead of two people, gave us a small room, so no rollaway bed.  Also, the air conditioner was a little inconsistent. 

« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 12:14:21 PM by rabbitwarren »

Offline Jim Watari

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Twitter @jwatari
  • Liked: 584
« Reply #111 on: July 26, 2017, 11:55:37 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Name of Hotel:  Hilton Bayfront

Type of Room: Double queen

Number of Nights You Stayed: 6

Hotel Review:

Yes, there are several place to eat at the Hilton Bayfront:  Fox Sports Grill, a restaurant, and a pop up food stand which sells breakfast burritos, cookies, soda, water, hamburgers, hot dogs, fries, etc.  Their Meal Deal is $14 for either a hot dog or hamburger, fries, and a drink.

Staff was polite and courteous for the most part.

No, too expensive.

The Hilton Bayfront has several amenities such as the Club Pool, gym, spa, grill, restaurant, gift shop, but I never used them.

The AC can cool down a room to 68* which was very comfortable.

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays?
NA.  Flew into SD.

Perhaps the biggest perk the Bayfront offers is that it is the closest hotel to Hall H.

I am very sensitive to sound and I didn't hear anyone walking in the room above us or noise from either side.  People talking in the hall was loud but it didn't occur too much.  I am not sure if it was the FX or Adult Swim side event which was right outside the Bayfront or the Club Pool but music could be heard late into the night.

Yes, if you are a Hilton Honors member (which is free).

I joined the Hilton Honors program before checking in but could not get any double points on my stay.  ??? 

When we first took the elevator to our room, Rob Liefeld hopped on.  We talked and said goodbye.  Josh Barnett was apparently also staying there.

- Very close location to the convention center
- Customer service was pleasant.
- Restaurants located inside of the hotel.
- Excellent view from your room!
- We saw a few celebrities and artists.
- Immediate hot water in the shower.

-  My family and I found their beds to be very uncomfortable.  My wife and I usually only experience this on air mattresses.  They also didn't use fitted sheets so the bottom sheet always became a mess during the night.
-  We also had to make multiple requests for towels and in room coffee.
-  Mildew in the shower and water marks on the bathroom ceiling gave the room a slummy feel.
-  Carpet wasn't always vacuumed.
-  Refrigerators are available on a first come first serve basis.

I stayed there too this year :

The rooms have not been "refreshed"  in the a few years.

I've gotten used to the Sliding bathroom doors at other hotels and I missed that here. Having the bathroom door so close to the room door makes opening and closing the doors more difficult.

I noticed the the power plugs on the lamps were very loose had to use the other power outlets.

Newer hotels have USB ports built into the power outlets.

The clock radio was not working , so I just unplugged it.

Also newer hotels now have Netflix apps built into the LCD TVs , so you don't need WiFi to stream shows.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 05:32:01 PM by Jim Watari »
The more things change, the more they stay the same

Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: It's okay, I'm a leaf on the wind!
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: What does that mean?

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #112 on: July 26, 2017, 03:39:04 PM »
Name of Hotel: The Bristol

Type of Room: I was in a "Superior King" which is considered their basic room with a king bed.

Hotel Review:

The hotel had a small restaurant/bar which I didn't go to. There is a Corner Bakery & Cafe across the street which has quick, relatively inexpensive basic Americana-type foods...breakfast, sandwiches, salads, etc. Go a block perpendicular and there's Sushi 2 (formerly Sushi Deli 2.) It was also only about two blocks away from Horton Plaza on the Jimbo's entrance, and another block down from Ralph's which was across the street from Crocevia Coffee and another block down from my favorite Lion/Lani Coffee.

Yes, absolutely. They always greeted me and asked how everything was. I got in at 11 am and they had the room ready for me (I had indicated early check-in), which was much appreciated as it allowed me to get ready before my volunteer shift at 2. I also asked about late check-out and they said it was fine to check out at 1.

No, I never do.

They apparently had a small gym which I did not use. But, an amenity I found incredibly useful was the tablet in my room. It said "Welcome, (My_Name)" on the main screen and had free internet access, suggested news articles, alarm clock, Pandora/TuneIn/radio stations, and front desk/room service requests. They also sent a couple of messages each day with fun comic-related trivia (i.e. what does "DC" stand for?) I listened to the new age stations while going to bed, lol.

The TV was kind of small and in an odd place. I don't watch TV during SDCC so it didn't matter to me, but it is something to consider. Also, there was a space in the dresser that was clearly made for a refrigerator...but no refrigerator. :O If I really wanted one I guess I could have asked though.

I was by myself and definitely comfortable enough. The design was really good--it was a semi-hexagonal shape by the windows, and then there was a rectangular section with a desk off to the side, away from the bed. It probably would have been average sized for two people.

I didn't, but they said parking would have been $32/night.

I walked down First Ave every day and from hotel entrance to convention center entrance (Hall A/Room 6 side) it was only about 15 minutes with no stops. Jimbo's grocery and Lani Coffee were directly on the walk, which was extremely convenient for me. It obviously took longer to get to the Hall H/Indigo side...I walked to Indigo first thing Friday morning and it took close to an hour although I made a couple of stops.

It's also worth mentioning that (in my opinion) this hotel is probably as close as it gets to both the Convention Center and Gaslamp District while at the same time being far enough removed from the crowds. It was perfect jumping off point to go to everything; head to SDCC in the morning, then go back and recharge a bit before heading to Gaslamp events in the evening. The walk to the Broadway-side of the Gaslamp was 5 minutes if even that. Also, since the street it was on was just far enough removed so as not to be packed with pedestrians, it was always easy to call an Uber/Lyft and I was never hit with a prime-time surcharge.

I sleep like a rock so I never notice anything. But, for those who don't, they have disposable earplugs by the bed...which is a nice touch.

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?  Yes

Yes, I signed up when I checked in, so I'm not really sure what it does.

Yes. After getting back from the con on Thursday, this magically appeared in my closet. 'Nuff said. :D

- Close to the Convention Center
- Even closer to Horton Plaza/Lani Coffee/Gaslamp District
- Incredibly useful tablet in room
- Clean and well-kept room
- Cheapest downtown hotel
- They got into the Comic-Con spirit in subtle, but noticeable, ways
- Very accommodating with early check-in and late check-out
- Pretty much everything

- View was pretty awful...it was the forgotten side of a big building
- Door had a little trouble closing even when it looked like it closed--always had to double check when leaving
- Although well-kept, it seems a bit dated (especially the lobby and hallways)...but it looks like they are updating
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 03:41:28 PM by hikanteki »
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
« Reply #113 on: July 26, 2017, 08:25:57 PM »
I've been working on this slowly between calculating finalized costs/speech therapy/etc. so it took me a couple days to get it up... plus video games...

Name of Hotel: Hilton Bayfront

Type of Room: 2 queen beds, regular room (view of the pool this time.)

Number of Nights You Stayed: 3 nights (Thursday-Sunday)

Year(s) You Stayed There: I think it’s been 4 years as of this year I believe. So 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014.

Hotel Review:

Yes, on the bottom of the hotel is Starbucks (we always bring chilled pre-made glass drinks and coffee grounds etc. to make coffee) so it’s pretty rare we use it but friends do sometimes. There’s also a froyo place that makes parfaits, smoothies, self-serve froyo, etc. Fox Sports Grill (we’ve eaten there a few times, they usually have a limited SDCC specific menu that you’re limited to. Generally it’s only that menu + the regular drinks. Only problem with that is they don't usually post the limited menu online, so you have to call to get them to read the menu to you or go down, so be aware of that if you want to order take-out.)

There are one or two other restaurants inside the hotel, notably the Vela which has a great breakfast and does to-go orders, there is also another bar inside but it’s insane. Additionally, you can order at the pool from the bar (I think it’s a full bar,) and you can order from a menu there (appetizers, entrees like hamburgers, etc.)

(***)We ordered room service this year. The normal room service menu is available during the convention, but I believe it only runs until 11PM. This year, I’m not sure if it was the first year they did this, they had a special until 1AM room service. It was a very limited menu of (I believe) chicken tenders + fries, cheese/chicken/shrimp quesadilla, a couple of burgers, and a sandwich. There may have been appetizers and a couple of desserts but I didn’t look. We ordered from this one specifically because we were ordering at like 11:30PM and missed the full menu as such because we waited all evening for getting Hall H wristbands for Saturday. It was very expensive, but room service is always overpriced. Frankly, it was worth it because we only had to ever move about 15 feet from where we were in bed. They also gave us free cookies. (Mind you, the 15ft thing was because we'd just come back from getting wristbands for Hall H Saturday and spending most of the day in panels or walking the floor. We wanted to collapse in a pile and never move again.)

They also have a pop-up that serves breakfast, lunch, and maybe dinner? I’ve only done the breakfast burritos at times. They tend to be a tad expensive, for what's in them, but I lived in SB/Goleta for like 6 years I will take those prices over the prices of any sort of Mexican food up there.

The staff is always amazing, all of the front house people, like at the front desk, also wear nerdy shirts etc. This year I had occasion to pick up another room key, because I screwed up and forgot to get one from my friend who checked in. The man I spoke to was extremely nice and polite, he only needed my name on the reservation, which it was already in there. He warned me about the issue of not putting my card on/near my phone because it would demagnetize the room key for me. Which I completely forgot about so it was lucky he told me.

Each time we needed a bellhop they were amazing:
The first day I was the one who took the luggage up as our room wasn’t ready on check-in and I went back first. He happily chatted away with me about the convention, apparently it was literally his first week working there and he knew very little about the convention so I explained a lot about it to him. He was super friendly and asked me if I just wanted the luggage in one spot or if he could help move it around the room. I’m very particular so I went ahead and moved things around myself. I’m a control freak, what can I say?

Our second bellhop, who helped us get all our things back up to our car, was equally nice and amazing. Always tip your bellhops well determining on the amount of bags etc. you have. We tipped them very nicely each time, of course. As always, they’re amazing at fitting an amazing amount of things onto that cart, because we always camp out so we have an insane amount of luggage.
The woman who brought up our room service order was super nice.

I didn’t have occasion to meet any of our housekeeping people, as we were always out when they came by. But one morning she did knock while we were still in bed and I briefly woke up, she immediately realized it and said she’d put a note in for someone to come by later. Later on when we got back to the room, they’d replaced things that needed to be. Also of note about tipping housekeeping, you generally have different ones everyday so leave a tip everyday AND put a note that it is for Housekeeping, otherwise they generally can’t take it because it’s assumed it might be money that was left out accidentally. Some hotels have envelopes specific for the purpose of leaving tips out for them. The Bayfront, at least this year I haven’t stayed there outside of SDCC, didn’t have any and I completely forgot to bring any for that purpose (I usually do.) So I just used a strip of paper, wrote for housekeeping on it, and secured it around the tips.

Yes, please see above re: restaurants. I went ahead and put it up there because it’s kind of like a restaurant? I'll mark it with (***)

I can never remember if they have a gym, but I think so because I believe it’s listed under amenities, I think. They also have a pool, we had a view of it this year, and we’ve only ever used the bar at it. The pool has a lot of shade right to the side, with the bar there too. There is also a spa but we’ve never used it, and of course a giftshop that you can pick-up snacks and drinks from.

Yes, the regular rooms aren’t super big (except the bathrooms which is nice and has a lot of counter space and drawers) but we had a LOT of luggage and bags but it was still easy to get around the room comfortably even if the whole group was in there. It just takes being organized, like any hotel room. We put the actual suitcases out of the way but in spots that would be easy enough to access. Bags on the desk or for ex. The bags with non-perishable food tucked right next to the refrigerator and out of the way (or one on top.)

The bathrooms, for us as opposed to other hotels in many, are fairly big. Specifically in reference to the counter space, drawers, and the lower rack where they place full-sized towels. We usually have four women in their 20s and one who heavily cosplays. As such, there are tons of products, makeup, tools, etc. every time. So it’s nice to be able to tuck things away into drawers or on the lower rack so they’re not sitting out on the counter when someone else needs to do a ton of stuff. Someone above mentioned they had mildew in their shower/sink. I was super surprised @.@ holy cow. We’ve stayed 4 years now and never had that happen. Also never had uncomfortable mattresses or sheets that weren’t fitted sheets for the lower ones. I’d be able to tell because I’m a violent sleeper and pull them out ALL the time (along with regular top sheets.)

We parked one car in their parking lot. We arrived by 10AM, and it was pretty packed from guests and people who bought passes through Ace. We ended up parking on the roof, which we were fine with
Rate was $25/night.

Only a few minutes to get into the convention center or the Hall H line. There isn’t a specific stop from the buses (I think) but it took a few minutes to get to the buses in front of the convention center if you needed to go into downtown/mission valley/Gaslamp etc. It takes about 5-10 minutes, depending on how crowded it is in the walkways, to get to the closest trolley stop.

Uh, not super thin but a bit thin. We were unlucky enough to have a room very close to the elevators. You could hear the dings every time, unless you were asleep. We heard someone practicing a saxophone (legitimately, they were like doing scales and would pause for long times between and things like that) from somewhere down the hall, when we were in the room with the door closed.

Yes and kinda no? You have to be an HHonors member, regardless of level, but it’s free to be part of so just make an account and add it to the reservation when the res. transfers or on check-in so you’re given the code.

Yes, HHonors, I think it’s the lowest level. We got one extra person on the hotel room for free (ie. One extra occupancy fee off) and free wifi. I can’t remember if there’s any other perks for that level. Oh, you could request certain special things on your res. online, but I don't know if that's an HHonors thing only or what. We requests extra towels from the outset before we arrived, though the online account.

It’s usually very good for celebrity sightings. I think John Barrowman stays there each year, a few years ago we had the room directly across from him. This year I ran into Emily Bett Rickards (Felicity Smoak actress in Arrow) in the elevator there. We briefly saw a couple other people but we never stopped to speak with them.

-Close proximity to the convention center and Hall H lines.
-Close to a lot of restaurants, just a block away from the Gaslamp as well.
-Proximity to the shuttle lines, trolley stops, and the bridge right over to the Petco Park side or back.
-The bridge from the 3rd floor of their parking structure that goes directly to the lobby. It makes it super easy to retrieve things you may’ve left in the car, or for bellhops to wheel your luggage right back to your car at the end of your stay.
-Great views possible to the Hall H lines and convention center (costs more too) and we had a nice view of the ocean and pool this year.
-A lot of celebrity sightings each year.
-Friendly and kind staff.
-Multiple food options inside the hotel or on the ground/convention level.
-Largeish bathrooms, especially for 4 woman who can keep their toiletries and make-up in drawers and on the rack for towels underneath. The extra counter space is big.
-Other than the bar’s noise at night, it’s almost never super crowded or loud. It’s nice to be able to retreat during the day to get away from the crowds.
-Small “off-sites”. This year it was a small Westworld installation. The piano was playing, in a roped off section just off the lobby, and it played songs on request sent from twitter (I believe.) It was fun to hear it playing various nerdy songs as I went through to the elevators to return to my room. There’s usually some sort of cosplay area next to it. I’m not sure what it is, but I’ve seen it there the past 2-3 years.

-Long distance from MGH (for the fulfillment room.)
-Expensive for some people.
-The bar at night is insanely loud, between the people, the music, and the movies/shows showing on the displays. Though there are buffer floors between that and any room floors.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 08:30:43 PM by Iris_aya »
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline Jason

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 42
« Reply #114 on: July 28, 2017, 02:07:04 PM »
Name of Hotel: Hampton Inn Downtown

Type of Room: 2 Queen size beds

Year(s) You Stayed There: 2017 (we have also stayed there before at least four times, although I don't remember the years. 2015 was the last time before this year.)

Hotel Review:

Little Italy is a short walk and has a ton of great restaurants. There used to be a great Mexican place next door but it was torn down last year (I asked them when, since we loved it).

Staff was very nice, and they always have been. They always remember us and ask a ton of questions about Comic Con.

No, and I don't think there is any.

The pool is on the second floor. We ate by it a couple of times, but didn't swim. We have in the past though, and it was nice enough.

It's a normal sized hotel room - last year we stayed at The Sofia which was tiny and I wouldn't want to do that again. The Hampton is a nice sized place with a desk and a large tv stand where we sat our daily hauls.

Did not drive.

About 15-20 minutes to walk to the con. Shuttle was about 20 or so minutes, sometimes longer if traffic was worse.

There was a baby in the room next door and we heard it crying ALL NIGHT LONG.

Yes, although I forgot to ever log in to it :/

I am not, but my friend that I stayed with is. He got early check in (which we couldn't use because the people in our room before us requested a late check out) and free candy when we checked in.

No celebrity sightings at all. I like being a little bit further from the action. I sleep about 2.5 hours a night during the show, so I like being close but not across the street where the con noise goes all night long.

It's inexpensive, which helps since I am one of the people who is in the room 3 hours a day during the show.
Free breakfast which I always do the last day before flying home.
Free hotel shuttle to and from the airport (and zoo if you want to go to the zoo).
We had a great view, but in the past we have been in the back where you get earplugs because the trains are loud and can keep you up.

They charged me my deposit THREE different times and I had to call to get it taken care of, which was a real pain the butt.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 05:30:41 AM by jason_the_human »

Offline jazzyj

• Gaming Lounge
  • Cheese and Carb Enthusiast
  • Liked: 302
« Reply #115 on: July 28, 2017, 11:09:51 PM »
Name of Hotel: Manchester Grand Hyatt

Type of Room: 2 Double Beds

Number of Nights You Stayed: 4

Year(s) You Stayed There:2017

Hotel Review:

A lot! The hotel is just a short walk away from the Gaslamp but we were right next to Seaport Village, which has a decent amount of food options. Across the street is also a Dunkin Donuts, a BBQ place, and pizzeria too! They also have a 24-hour market in the lobby which is great for picking up coffee in the morning before lining up.

The staff that I've encountered at any hotel have always been nice, and MGH is no exception!

Nope

N/A

The room is decently-sized. There were four of us so we had plenty of room to leave our stuff and still be able to navigate around each other.

N/A

It's roughly a 10 minute walk to the convention center, which isn't that bad. You'll probably feel it later as the con goes on though when your feet start to hurt.

I kept on hearing the Mr. Mercedes ice cream song from our room (and we were on the 19th floor). It wasn't that annoying although it can be creepy if you're by yourself .

Yea although we didn't use it.

N/A

I saw Yvette Nicole Brown checking into her hotel room on Wednesday but other than that, didn't really see any celebrities. I did see some people get out of those prestigious black cars and guests taking pics with them but I couldn't really recognize who they were. The hotel is also home to Funko Fundays and the swag room. Having the swag room at our hotel was great since I can just pick up my freebies downstairs and drop it off easily.

It's still relatively close compared to other hotels and the foot traffic isn't all that bad. There's also plenty of food options nearby

The walk to and from the con definitely takes its toll on you later on. That and also if you're planning on camping out in any line, the MGH is at the opposite end so it's recommended to walk along the marina and find the end of the line

Offline Roybq

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 31
« Reply #116 on: July 30, 2017, 12:11:53 PM »
Name of Hotel: U.S. Grant

Number of Nights You Stayed:
5 Nights

Hotel Review:

There was a restaurant inside the hotel, but being right across from Horton Plaza, there were many choices for food not too far away.

Super friendly! Very helpful.

No. Not really our thing.

Didn't use any, and didn't really see if there were any.

The room was pretty average. Not huge, but not tiny. We were able to get around fine. Plenty of space to store items. If you're sharing the bathroom with strangers do know that there is only a shower and that the shower is enclosed in glass (no curtains for privacy-you're just in a glass "shower display" box.)

About a fifteen minute walk to the convention center. Shuttle was available, but we liked the walk.

Either we were super tired or we just didn't notice much noise.  There was a rooftop party next door (we could see the roof and the party) but we couldn't hear it

Yes, but only if you are a member of their hotel rewards program. Bonus fact: sign up is free.

Apparently the US Grant is Conan central.  We saw Conan and company several times hanging out in the lobby area. Makes sense since it's only a block to the theatre. It also seemed to be where the SYFY group was located based on the SYFY check in area we noticed on our first night there.

The beds were super comfy. WiFi worked well. There's a turn down service at night where they come in and drop off waters and chocolate (yass!) The location was great for us since we ended each night doing something at the Horton Plaza or the Balboa Theatre (both just across the street.)  We didn't mind the walk each morning or night and it's nice having a choice of Starbucks that weren't as busy as the ones by Hard Rock and the Hilton Bayfront. Seeing Conan...We did get Supernatural and Big Bang Theory keys.

The hotel itself, even as an OnPeak hotel is pretty pricey at $300 a night.  If I were to pay that much for a hotel again, I"d probably try for something closer to the convention center. This time however, since we had mulitple night events practically across the street, it was nice to leave, walk a block, and then go to bed. 

Offline Saitama85

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #117 on: July 31, 2017, 12:16:06 PM »
Name of Hotel: Hard Rock

Number of Nights You Stayed: 7 Nights

Hotel Review:

Quite a few choices by the Hotel and nearby.

Very friendly and polite whether on the phone or on person. Staff actually seemed happy and excited rather than stressed out and were always happy for a chat about what was going on.

Couple of times when too tired to eat out. Both occasions despite being at pretty busy times arrived fairly quickly.

Didn’t use any, where a few but can’t remember exact details. 

Was staying by myself so found room to be very spacious, had my luggage and anything I brought stored away and didn’t get in the way. 

Very quick walk across the tracks, when busy there are a couple of “choke” points where everyone is crossing but didn’t really find it an issue.

Had been something I was initially worried about having read a lot of reviews on the internet. Noise levels were noticeable at times from parties but nothing that ever bothered me or stopped me sleeping. Few times when I was tired and watching tv before bed and it was hard to ignore but it never stopped me falling asleep. Was facing the convention centre on the 5th floor. Didn’t notice any sounds from the rooms either side of me.

Free wi-fi, worked perfectly and fast enough for the few pics I wanted to upload at times and for whatsapp (voice and video) calls back home. 

Few celebrities staying from what some of the staff mentioned but I didn’t run into anyone. Room had a fridge stocked up full but I emptied it out of the coke and water and filled it with my own drinks. Read somewhere after that sometimes they carry sensors and can charge you for even this! Was slightly nervous but I wasn’t charged.

Had an issue where the batteries on the key sensor to my room died! I would’ve sworn there’d be some master key backup behind the metal plate but it’s all electronic and even security where looked out of my room. In the end the guy had this long metal instrument he had to stuck under the door and catch the lock from the other side to open the door! First time I’ve ever had something like that happen, but they sorted it out very quickly.

Very comfortable bed and room, didn’t use it much but having the tv with a lot of channels was a plus when I wanted to watch Game of Thrones. Also had an hdmi input for my laptop which would by handy if staying longer and wanted to watch my own stuff. 

Great location, was such a plus being able to come back to my room in the middle of the day for a quick rest or dropping stuff off and be able to come back super quick.

They had a barrier in front during the con so the ground floor area didn’t get overcrowded.

Nothing really comes to mind, enjoyed my stay and would recommend to anyone.

Offline tsnyder

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 295
« Reply #118 on: July 31, 2017, 12:32:17 PM »

Type of Room: 2 Queen Beds

Year(s) You Stayed There:2017, 2016

Hotel Review:

We did their quick counter service a couple of times for the breakfast burritos or hamburger specials they had at lunch.  We ate at the Fox Sports Grill twice and found it reasonable and most importantly very fast.  We told them at the table we were in a rush so when they brought out our order they also brought out to-go box, bag, paper cup with lid for our drink, and even the check.  Really appreciated that.

Only interacted at check in but they were extremely polite.

No

Only used the ice machine at the end of the hall to refill our water bottles each morning.

Kinda feel like their rooms are on the smaller side.  We had 4 people and because of proximity also let some friends store stuff in the room so it got pretty cramped.

N/A, flew in.

5 minute walk to Hall H.  Only delay is if you are going across when Hall H had just let out so had to fight that crowd.  Location is my favorite part about the Bayfront.

I don't believe so, never heard any noise from neighbors or from outside.

Yes for Hilton rewards members although we didn't use it.

I am but never bothered to use it for the wifi

We did see Chris Hartwick but that was only celebrity.  Should have used the opportunity to hold a spot in the Westworld line that was in the lobby as from what I read that was an amazing off site.

We did Hall H with a group on both Fri and Sat.  Having this room as our HQ for storing stuff, bathroom breaks, etc was awesome.  Greatly appreciated by everyone in the group.

Only real complaint is no mini fridge in room.  Would have liked to go to Ralphs to get some sandwiches or whatever to store and eat but without a fridge really isn't an option.

Offline dolphina

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Live Long and Prosper
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #119 on: July 31, 2017, 02:10:43 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Type of Room: 2 Queen Beds

Year(s) You Stayed There:2017, 2016

Hotel Review:

We did their quick counter service a couple of times for the breakfast burritos or hamburger specials they had at lunch.  We ate at the Fox Sports Grill twice and found it reasonable and most importantly very fast.  We told them at the table we were in a rush so when they brought out our order they also brought out to-go box, bag, paper cup with lid for our drink, and even the check.  Really appreciated that.

Only interacted at check in but they were extremely polite.

No

Only used the ice machine at the end of the hall to refill our water bottles each morning.

Kinda feel like their rooms are on the smaller side.  We had 4 people and because of proximity also let some friends store stuff in the room so it got pretty cramped.

N/A, flew in.

5 minute walk to Hall H.  Only delay is if you are going across when Hall H had just let out so had to fight that crowd.  Location is my favorite part about the Bayfront.

I don't believe so, never heard any noise from neighbors or from outside.

Yes for Hilton rewards members although we didn't use it.

I am but never bothered to use it for the wifi

We did see Chris Hartwick but that was only celebrity.  Should have used the opportunity to hold a spot in the Westworld line that was in the lobby as from what I read that was an amazing off site.

We did Hall H with a group on both Fri and Sat.  Having this room as our HQ for storing stuff, bathroom breaks, etc was awesome.  Greatly appreciated by everyone in the group.

Only real complaint is no mini fridge in room.  Would have liked to go to Ralphs to get some sandwiches or whatever to store and eat but without a fridge really isn't an option.
Did you ask for the fridge? Or were they out?
A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting”

Wondercon, SDCC, Comikazi, Blizzcon, SWCA, D23