Author Topic: Non-SuperHero Current Movies **spoilers**  (Read 63999 times)

Offline Hgmaddhatter

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 33
Re: Non-SuperHero Current Movies **spoilers**
« Reply #165 on: April 02, 2022, 04:19:46 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Exactly. Starting with their adolescent heist and moving onto Nathan's honing of his skills would've been fine and then the plane stuff is a nice surprise when it finally happens
I'm trying to decide which video game should be next, obviously there have been rumors about God of War, but I'd like to see Prototype, and maybe Infamous? They'd have a lot of action and cool effects, and there are a few different endings at least for infamous depending on how they decided to write the chatacter.

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
« Reply #166 on: November 21, 2023, 04:52:15 PM »
Just saw Journey to Bethlehem. Mind you, I'm not religious, but I love musicals. It was a good movie, enough to want to see it again. The music and style was sort of Disneyesque. I'd expect to see it on a stage someday.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #167 on: Today at 07:08:07 AM »

Offline Wkdbriss

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 137
« Reply #167 on: November 28, 2023, 08:18:50 AM »
Has anyone seen the new Hunger Games movie? Is it worth going to the theater or should we just wait and stream it?

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #168 on: November 28, 2023, 09:39:00 AM »
Has anyone seen the new Hunger Games movie? Is it worth going to the theater or should we just wait and stream it?

If you recently read the book I would wait a bit, I felt it was too long for the amount they cut out.  Really should have been two movies or a mini-series. 

If you haven't read the book or it was a long time ago I would say maybe see it in the theater, but I really don't think it's a must-see in theater if something else is catching your eye. 

I enjoyed both The Hold Overs and Priscilla, though I do understand they are vastly different categories from hunger games. 
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #169 on: November 28, 2023, 10:37:07 AM »
I thought the book was okay, but not as interesting as the main Hunger Games books. I'm waiting for the film to come to streaming, where I can see it 'for free'.

To be fair, I wait for most movies to come to streaming. I'm still waiting to see the Barbie movie 'for free'. ;)

Offline Wkdbriss

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 137
« Reply #170 on: November 28, 2023, 11:12:24 AM »
Good to know. I have read the book and I agree. It was aggressively okay. Thanks for the insight. I'll just wait to see it.

Offline Xircuits

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #171 on: December 10, 2023, 12:41:19 PM »
I watched Saltburn today. It's probably going to end up in the Criterion Collection soon.
Handle for most social media & gaming accounts: @Xircuits

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #172 on: December 11, 2023, 10:43:56 AM »
I thought the book was okay, but not as interesting as the main Hunger Games books. I'm waiting for the film to come to streaming, where I can see it 'for free'.

To be fair, I wait for most movies to come to streaming. I'm still waiting to see the Barbie movie 'for free'. ;)
I think I saw BARBIE is coming to Max this weekend (Friday Dec. 15)!  I actually _LOVED_ BARBIE, and kind of wished I had seen it a second time, so I'm really hyped to see it again.

Offline MandoSaves

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 36
« Reply #173 on: December 11, 2023, 01:00:29 PM »
If you recently read the book I would wait a bit, I felt it was too long for the amount they cut out.  Really should have been two movies or a mini-series. 

If you haven't read the book or it was a long time ago I would say maybe see it in the theater, but I really don't think it's a must-see in theater if something else is catching your eye. 

I enjoyed both The Hold Overs and Priscilla, though I do understand they are vastly different categories from hunger games.

I haven't read the books, but I'm a huge fan of the movie franchise. I saw Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes and loved it! I didn't know what to expect. It was nice to see Snow's origin story. I enjoyed how Snow's moral/ethical dilemma was constantly tested throughout the film, blurring the lines of what's right and wrong. By the end of the movie, his character had gone through so much that he was a completely different character, and yet his motivations were still intact. Great movie! Is the book just as good?

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #174 on: December 11, 2023, 01:49:13 PM »
ANATOMY OF A FALL is an outstanding film; it came and went in theaters awhile back, but will likely hit streaming in the near future.  The film, the 2023 Palme d'Or winner at the Cannes Film Festival, explores the death of a husband/father who fell several stories from the family's remote house in the Alps. 
On its face ANATOMY OF A FALL is a ‘standard’ procedural - a husband/dad plummets to his death and either fell by accident or was murdered by his wife.  The film is more about a fractured marriage, an unhappy man who may be jealous and resentful about his successful wife, a mom who may blame her husband for their son’s accident that caused his almost-blindness; the film is about what _is_ truth, and how can we come to the conclusion of what happens with only small pieces of the larger puzzle.  It’s also broadly about the French legal system (which can be repurposed for any other legal system) that will make evidence fit a theory rather than vice versa: possibly distorting a few moments in time to fit a square peg into a round holed narrative to be sold to a jury.  Or maybe it’s about a popular, prolific fiction writer who knows how to spin a good, believable yarn and fool a lot of people.
Maybe we’ll have more questions than answer in the end.  Just like real life.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #175 on: December 11, 2023, 02:20:18 PM »
ANATOMY OF A FALL is an outstanding film; it came and went in theaters awhile back, but will likely hit streaming in the near future.  The film, the 2023 Palme d'Or winner at the Cannes Film Festival, explores the death of a husband/father who fell several stories from the family's remote house in the Alps. 
On its face ANATOMY OF A FALL is a ‘standard’ procedural - a husband/dad plummets to his death and either fell by accident or was murdered by his wife.  The film is more about a fractured marriage, an unhappy man who may be jealous and resentful about his successful wife, a mom who may blame her husband for their son’s accident that caused his almost-blindness; the film is about what _is_ truth, and how can we come to the conclusion of what happens with only small pieces of the larger puzzle.  It’s also broadly about the French legal system (which can be repurposed for any other legal system) that will make evidence fit a theory rather than vice versa: possibly distorting a few moments in time to fit a square peg into a round holed narrative to be sold to a jury.  Or maybe it’s about a popular, prolific fiction writer who knows how to spin a good, believable yarn and fool a lot of people.
Maybe we’ll have more questions than answer in the end.  Just like real life.

Glad to hear you liked it, it's been on my list for a bit now.  The one day I set to see it in the theater it snowed and I got lazy. 
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #176 on: December 11, 2023, 06:27:02 PM »
Glad to hear you liked it, it's been on my list for a bit now.  The one day I set to see it in the theater it snowed and I got lazy.
Yeah this one didn't seem to be in theaters too long.  I actually saw this one the morning after I took my wife on a date to see the TAYLOR SWIFT: ERAS TOUR movie - I think in my mind ANATOMY OF A FALL was a bit of a (needed) palate cleanser, as I think I saw it literally around 12 hours after getting out of the middle school girl screaming fest.
(note: I kind of liked the Taylor Swift movie: not a fan of the music, per say, but the production of her concert was really fascinating to take in from a technical standpoint, and I TOTALLY appreciate Swift's stick-it-to-the-man gumption of re-recording and releasing all of her previous albums in order to screw-over the guy who bought her back-catalogue for pure profit)