Author Topic: Article about 2022 talk-back forum.  (Read 4136 times)

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 829
Re: Article about 2022 talk-back forum.
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2022, 11:55:45 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
That area is no place for volunteers.  There were PLENTY of paid folk who have experience with line management.  The Hall H area is a place for experienced, paid people to manage.

Sadly, too many organizations are always on the cheap.  Four years ago, my mother learned a hard lesson on being cheap when hiring contractors to remodel her kitchen.

I’m seriously considering ending my volunteer duties now that I see what the big picture is.
WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2022, 12:09:13 PM »
I’m seriously considering ending my volunteer duties now that I see what the big picture is.

What's the big picture?

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 01:41:47 AM »

Offline zpy

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2022, 05:00:50 PM »
Typical of the media to focus on the negative.

Tens of thousands of people converge on their city to have a good time, and they want to focus on the 15 - 20 that raised ADA/Hall-H issues.

But I guess that why they hired David Glanzer!!!

The majority of the feedback at the panel was negative. There were not tens of thousands of people at the panel, there were dozens, and most of the people who go to the talkback panel go because they saw an issue they want to bring up. If you want the media to have more nice things to report then go to the panel and give positive feedback

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 829
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2022, 05:48:48 PM »
What's the big picture?

That we’re cheap labor?
WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2022, 06:48:24 PM »
The majority of the feedback at the panel was negative. There were not tens of thousands of people at the panel, there were dozens, and most of the people who go to the talkback panel go because they saw an issue they want to bring up. If you want the media to have more nice things to report then go to the panel and give positive feedback

Read my comment.

I didn't say there were tens of thousands of people in the panel. And I DID go to the talk back, and I only had positive things to say. 
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2022, 07:56:03 PM »
That we’re cheap labor?

That's what volunteers are.  In this case, not even that cheap.  For many volunteer opportunities, the only thing someone gets out of it is self satisfaction and maybe a little gratitude.  At comic-con, we get a day of comic-con.  Roughly that's worth $60.  Divide that by 3 hours worked and we "make" more than many of the convention center workers.  Many of which are only hired per convention.  If cheap labor was the goal, there are other options for SDCC.

Volunteering is about self satisfaction.  The experience should be the reward.  I like volunteering at comic-con.  It's my comic-con experience.  I know it's not for everyone.  I've seen plenty of volunteers with that bored out of their mind, they rather be anywhere else look on their face.  They clearly don't enjoy it and they put minimal effort into it.

Conventions are expensive.  Comic-con is cheap.  I used to frequent another convention that is also put on by a non-profit.  It's even been held in San Diego before.  Right now the cost for a full pass to that convention is about $1,400.  If people want a professional line management crew, that costs money.  If people want carpeting, that costs money.  Are people willing to pay for it?

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2022, 09:11:30 PM »
I passed by the ADA standby line for Hall H a couple of times when I was walking back and forth from the Indigo Ballroom to convention center on Saturday. It seemed kind of cruel to make them wait out in the sun while non-ADA people got to wait under the nice tents. Also it seemed clear to me that most of them wouldn't make it in since majority of Hall H attendees are there for Marvel. They should have been told that upfront before they wasted their time waiting in the sun the entire day.

There were also screwups with the ADA overflow line for the Everything Else line on Saturday too. So it's not just only ADA issues at Hall H, it's other areas too.
CCI is pretty clear that NO ONE is guaranteed admittance to any panel room.  People who wait for panels, especially Hall H, should have an understanding there are not guarantees and then either choose to wait-and-see or give-up and do something else.

I agree their line being uncovered while the other line is covered isn't right, and seems to be grounds for discrimination.  I'll say Sunday they weren't using the tents at all for Hall after the first panel started for reasons I can't fathom

Offline Karin

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 75
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2022, 09:53:37 PM »
CCI is pretty clear that NO ONE is guaranteed admittance to any panel room.  People who wait for panels, especially Hall H, should have an understanding there are not guarantees and then either choose to wait-and-see or give-up and do something else.

I agree their line being uncovered while the other line is covered isn't right, and seems to be grounds for discrimination.  I'll say Sunday they weren't using the tents at all for Hall after the first panel started for reasons I can't fathom

Aren't both NDLs in the sun?? I was in the general one and we definitely didn't have any shade. ADA same day line is even inside the convention center which is better imo that the same day tents.

Not saying ADA NDLs shouldn't get shade, we all should honestly but I doubt SDCC would get permission to add so many tents.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2022, 04:58:40 PM »
Aren't both NDLs in the sun?? I was in the general one and we definitely didn't have any shade. ADA same day line is even inside the convention center which is better imo that the same day tents.

Not saying ADA NDLs shouldn't get shade, we all should honestly but I doubt SDCC would get permission to add so many tents.
Good point, that the NDLs are not shaded (and for whatever reason CCI didn't even use the tents for that-day line in Hall H, at least for Sunday, after the first panel of the day loaded-in)

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 242
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2022, 09:09:33 PM »

Do you mean the Everything else line in the morning? I don't think the lines in the morning need shade because it's much cooler in the morning. I was talking about the outside Hall H ADA line midday and afternoon on Saturday where the sun is baring down and they put the regular attendees under the tents while putting the ADA line off to the side of the building with no tent covering. It seemed kind of cruel to me because there were a few empty tents but for some reason, they didn't think ADA people deserved to have tent coverage. Not to mention most of them probably didn't make it in. I think that lady who cried about her experience in the article was one of those people.

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2022, 10:07:25 PM »
Anyone under the tents is not NDL, it's same day. The ADA same day line is actually indoors. All the NDL lines are in the blazing sun. That's what she is saying.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline debster

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 569
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2022, 04:42:30 AM »
At previous talk backs, people mentioned the ADA next day line not having a tent/shade and if I recall, they said they weren’t able to put them up for some reason, I think due to fire regulations. And they can’t put the Ada lines anywhere on the grass due to wheelchairs. I don’t know how much they’ve looked into putting the line somewhere else, like inside somewhere.

Offline Karin

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 75
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2022, 07:29:19 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login What Mel said. ADA same day line is in the hallway of Hall G, 4 chutes same as general same day line but indoors and with AC, it is quite comfy for a line. If the lady who cried was in the sun then she lined up on Friday on the (NDL) Next Day Line, which is outside on the side of Hall H while general NDL is by the harbor. At least ADA gets some shadow from the building for a few hours.

Honestly everyone who lines up at a NDL is aware we are gonna be cooking in the sun, one year the asphalt was literally melting.

I'm unsure where ADA NDL could even be moved, it's not like there is lots of free space in the hallways. ADA same day line was spilling out of the convention center on Sunday. I suppose they could move Exhibitors check in upstairs and free a hall.

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 242
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2022, 07:16:04 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login What Mel said. ADA same day line is in the hallway of Hall G, 4 chutes same as general same day line but indoors and with AC, it is quite comfy for a line. If the lady who cried was in the sun then she lined up on Friday on the (NDL) Next Day Line, which is outside on the side of Hall H while general NDL is by the harbor. At least ADA gets some shadow from the building for a few hours.

Honestly everyone who lines up at a NDL is aware we are gonna be cooking in the sun, one year the asphalt was literally melting.

I'm unsure where ADA NDL could even be moved, it's not like there is lots of free space in the hallways. ADA same day line was spilling out of the convention center on Sunday. I suppose they could move Exhibitors check in upstairs and free a hall.

I see. I saw a bunch of ADA people lined up Saturday midday and afternoon against the building and they seemed like the same day line for ADA overflow, not the next day ADA line for Sunday. Most of them were standing up like they were expecting to move soon and they were all bunched up. It wasn't what a typical Next Day Line would look like.

Yeah if ADA were allowed to line up completely inside the building, then that's great but I think the problem is for the ADA overflow line. As I mentioned earlier, I don't know why they can't use one of the tents for ADA overflow people?

Offline darqamin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 179
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2022, 07:14:23 AM »
I got to the Talk Back panel a bit after it began.  I was hoping to be able to get to the mike, but with that line, it was not going to happen.  I appreciated the person who brought up the idea of having more time for the panel.  They could begin it earlier.  There could also be a timer, so more people could be heard. 

Yes I've been to other smaller conventions when they scheduled 1.5 hours or even 2 hours for the talk-balk event. Should definitely be longer especially when they have the panel room and audience interest.

Of course for people running the convention they don't want to sit there and hear about complaints for any longer than they need to, but that is part of running any convention, let alone a convention that is paying six figure salaries to at least some of the organizers on the stage.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 07:30:13 AM by darqamin »