Author Topic: Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures, Hall H, 10:45am-1:15pm  (Read 6208 times)

Offline EnglishmanInSanDiego

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 120
Legendary Pictures: Godzilla -- An epic rebirth to Toho's iconic Godzilla, this spectacular adventure pits the world's most famous monster against malevolent creatures who, bolstered by humanity's scientific arrogance, threaten our very existence. Gareth Edwards directs Godzilla, which stars Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Ken Watanabe, Elizabeth Olsen, and Juliette Binoche, with David Strathairn and Bryan Cranston. The screenplay is by Max Borenstein, Frank Darabont, and Dave Callaham. Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni are producing with Mary Parent and Brian Rogers. Alex Garcia and Patricia Whitcher are the executive producers, alongside Yoshimitsu Banno and Kenji Okuhira. The film is from Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures.

Legendary Pictures: Seventh Son -- The fantasy action adventure Seventh Son takes audiences to a time long past, where evil is about to be unleashed. Jeff Bridges stars as Master Gregory, a Falcon Knight who imprisoned the malevolently powerful witch Mother Malkin (Julianne Moore) years ago. Now escaped, she seeks vengeance, and Gregory has only until the next blood moon to train a new apprentice (Ben Barnes), the seventh son of a seventh son, to fight a dark magic unlike any other. Oscar nominee Sergei Bodrov directs an international cast that includes Alicia Vikander, Kit Harington, Olivia Williams, Antje Traue, and Djimon Hounsou. The film is from Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures.

Warner Bros. Pictures: 300: Rise of an Empire -- From producer Zack Snyder, Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures present a new chapter in this epic saga, based on Frank Miller's graphic novel Xerxes and told in the same breathtaking visual style as the blockbuster 300. Directed by Noam Murro, 300: Rise of an Empire takes the action to a fresh battlefield-on the sea-with a cast of both new and returning stars, led by Sullivan Stapleton, Eva Green, Lena Headey, Hans Matheson, David Wenham, and Rodrigo Santoro. Gianni Nunnari, Mark Canton, Zack Snyder, Deborah Snyder, and Bernie Goldmann produce, with Zack Snyder and Kurt Johnstad again collaborating on the screenplay.

Warner Bros. Pictures: Gravity -- From director Alfonso Cuarón comes the sci-fi Thriller Gravity, starring Sandra Bullock and George Clooney. Dr. Ryan Stone (Bullock) is a brilliant medical engineer on her first shuttle mission, alongside veteran astronaut Matt Kowalsky (Clooney). On a seemingly routine spacewalk, disaster strikes, leaving them completely alone-tethered to nothing but each other and spiraling out into the blackness. The deafening silence tells them they have lost any link to Earth...and any chance for rescue. As fear turns to panic, every gulp of air eats away at what little oxygen is left. But the only way home may be to go further into the terrifying expanse of space.

Warner Bros. Pictures: The LEGO Movie -- From directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller of 21 Jump Street comes the first ever full-length theatrical LEGO adventure, The LEGO Movie, about a perfectly average LEGO minifigure named Emmet who is mistakenly identified as the most extraordinary person and the key to saving the world. He is drafted into a fellowship of strangers on an epic quest to stop an evil tyrant, a journey for which he is hopelessly and hilariously underprepared. The original 3D computer animated story stars Chris Pratt, Will Ferrell, Elizabeth Banks, Will Arnett, Nick Offerman, and Alison Brie, with Liam Neeson and Morgan Freeman.

Saturday July 20, 2013 10:45am - 1:15pm
Hall H

This is big news - and means quite a bit to the SDCC panel landscape, especially in Hall H, for a whole bunch of companies.

The Warner Bros. Entertainment/Legendary panel has been the mainstay of programming in the arena-like auditorium which is Hall H since their pairing. Indeed, last years presentation showed exactly what could be achieved in that room with a massive multi-screen panoramic display, transforming what people thought of use in that space - this provided a suitably large canvas for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, Godzilla and Pacific Rim, effectively owning Hall H that Saturday.

However, with the contract of this partnership now coming to a close and Legendary president Thomas Tull looking to close a distribution deal by July 4 weekend (front runners include Sony, Universal Pictures and Fox), this may change any potential panel line-ups for San Diego Comic-Con.

Not sure how big this is? The Legendary films, presented by Warner Bros. in Hall H last year were 'Man Of Steel', 'Pacific Rim' and 'Godzilla'. I have no idea how this arrangement still stands for the two remaining films, especially 'Godzilla'. Are they tied into Legendary? Will they transfer to the new partner when that is finalized? That's unlikely for 'Pacific Rim' at this late stage prior to it's release; however, it does demonstrate the scale of Legendary's creative team. Warner's last DC property to be produced outside of Legendary? 'Green Lantern'.

Panels are due for announcement in the next couple of weeks so further updates as we hear them. Safe to say, now, all bets are off and anything can happen...
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 11:22:59 AM by Khaaaaaaanh!!! »
Don't let The Man get you down; you do that and The Man wins. I say, Damn The Man. "I cannot lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies."

Offline mdla

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 171
Re: Warner Bros. / Legendary part company - what does this mean?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 04:26:49 AM »
Legendary sent out an e-mail touting the fact that they were going to definitely have a time allotted for panels.  I just wonder what WB would have besides Hobbit if their panel was separated from Legendary.

Friends of Comic Cons

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 04:34:03 AM »
Considering the strength of Legendary's output - pretty much from its creation, it's up there with Pixar for quality/release ratio - I'm just staggered Warner's even let them walk away from the table...
Don't let The Man get you down; you do that and The Man wins. I say, Damn The Man. "I cannot lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies."

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 05:03:16 AM »
Well, money talks and BS walks. If Legendary doesn't think they're getting what they deserve (money, respect, whatever), WB can't force them to stay.

Offline NYRider

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 185
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 05:08:19 AM »
Latest rumor is that Legendary is now meeting with Lionsgate. But I suspect that all these meetings are just a ploy for a better deal at Warner Bros:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I think WB is going to wait to offer a deal, until after Pacific Rim box office numbers come out. Word on the web, is that tracking has been poor. Although, I've seen some positive tweets from the movie bloogers, that have seen it.

Also from the Deadline article above. It seems that Legendary has already decided to have their own media event at SDCC this year:

"Meanwhile Tull and Legendary have a big media event planned at the start of Comic-Con next month."
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 05:33:30 AM by NYRider »

Offline BadWolf

• Volunteer HQ
  • It's all the same to the many faced god.
  • Liked: 691
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 08:57:09 AM »
Legendary sent out an e-mail touting the fact that they were going to definitely have a time allotted for panels.  I just wonder what WB would have besides Hobbit if their panel was separated from Legendary.

The Justice League movie? 300 II? I don't know any others now that HP is over.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 11:59:02 AM »
It is possible that WB will still contractually have the rights to movies already in production or out of production/about to be released.  Just like IRON MAN 3 STILL carried a Paramount credit even though Marvel has been owned by Disney for several years now.  That's a different story, of course, since IRON MAN 3 was in production LONG after moving to Disney (the original IRON MAN had its own Sat. panel several years ago, but it also had a presence during Paramount's panel a day or two earlier - Favs showed the sizzle reel, shirts were given out at the Paramount panel, etc). 

For this year's SDCCI, I wouldn't be surprised either way: if Legendary still exhibited with WB or if Legendary had its own panel.  Either way, both properties will certainly represent at SD CCI this year.

• Ballroom 20
Warner Bros. / Legendary part company - what does this mean?
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 05:39:19 PM »
Even more interesting now is the negative bad-mouthing that is currently going around Hollywood about 'Pacific Rim', to the SECOND that the WB/Legendary deal fell apart. If it becomes apparent that Warner Bros. are intent on scuppering PacRim out of sheer spite, my respect for that company may very seriously take one hell of a dive...

"Comixace: Hollywood Mystery - Who Is Trying To Kill Pacific Rim?"

You let The Man get you down, The Man wins - I say, Damn The Man.
"I can't lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies."

Offline NYRider

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 185
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 01:18:27 PM »
According to Deadline, the WB and Legendary are still having a panel together at SDCC on July 20th at Hall H. Legendary bringing Godzilla, Seventh Son, and other projects:

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 04:26:49 PM »
Grew up watching Godzilla on Saturday mornings, a Legendary panel on that day's definite bucket panel for me this year.