Author Topic: Thursday-Ballroom 20  (Read 10317 times)

Offline chomprawrmoo

• Exhibit Hall
    • Nerd Recess
  • Liked: 4
Thursday-Ballroom 20
« on: July 10, 2014, 11:41:13 AM »
So my sister in law is interested in the Hannibal and Penny Dreadful panels. Obviously thanks to the Teen Wolf panel right before it, and Community panel RIGHT BEFORE THAT she'll need to get in pretty early. Anyone have an idea on when would be good for her to get in?

She'll probably sit in there all day if she needs to, but its not like she WANTS to do that for a panel at 5:30 pm.
We aren't normal big panel room people. Indigo ballroom is usually our hang (Adult Swim, and smaller fox shows, and video games) so I'm trying to get a feel for when I need to help her chill!
All around the merry-go-round the monkey chased the weasel, the monkey thought it was just a joke, but POP goes the weasel.

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
Re: Thursday-Ballroom 20
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 01:18:39 PM »
How close does she need to sit? That is another factor. If she doesn't need to sit close, I don't think she would have to go too early (2 or 3 panels before). There has been a lot of discussion on this in another thread on Ballroom 20 if you need to get an idea.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The panels before aren't as much of a factor as those after-unless there is a lot of fan crossover. I don't know that there is a lot of it.

Ang

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 04:55:22 AM »

Offline imcla

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 02:07:46 PM »
How early should I get in line for the Community panel, considering it's the 3rd most popular panel of the day on mysched? I don't need to sit very close, but we're a group of 3 (harder to find seats) and for me it's a can't miss panel.

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 242
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 02:33:18 PM »
For Community, I would guess get in line by 9-10am to be safe. You'll be competing with mostly Teen Wolf and some Hannibal fans but I've never seen a line that took longer than 4 hours after the first panel starts in Ballroom 20.

I actually think theoretically for Hannibal there might actually be no almost no wait in line since it's only Penny Dreadful after it and while Hannibal has some diehard fans, its fanbase is pretty small. But I probably wouldn't risk it; I'd probably still get there earlier to make sure I get on time.

Offline mepat1111

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 07:17:38 PM »
I'm having the same dilemma OP. I really want to go to the NASA event in Room 6A, but that runs until 4pm and I'm worried I won't get in to Hannibal at 4:45pm... Hannibal and Penny Dreadful are 2 of my favourite shows so I'm mega keen for them!

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 08:04:46 PM »
You can try the restroom-pass method but it's gonna be tough because you'll have to miss part of your NASA panel. Leave during the Community panel and get a restroom pass and come back when the panels switch to Teen Wolf and get another restroom pass and return to the NASA panel and return to B20 when it's done.

Offline mepat1111

• Freebie Table
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 08:33:18 PM »
I think I'll just go for the NASA panel and then hope the line isn't too bad for Hannibal - as you said above the line shouldn't be too bad in theory. I've decided to skip the Community panel and just stay in Hall H after Dreamworks to watch The Giver.

Thanks for the idea with the restroom-pass thing.

Offline freeagent

• Exhibit Hall
    • tumblrrrr
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 10:30:37 PM »
I'm going to wing it and hope I can get into Community if I get there at around 1. I dunno. I've been to their panel before and it's my favorite show but I can't justify waiting all morning for it when the con floor opens.

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 11:09:33 PM »
I'm going to wing it and hope I can get into Community if I get there at around 1. I dunno. I've been to their panel before and it's my favorite show but I can't justify waiting all morning for it when the con floor opens.

I would try the restroom pass idea  ;D As mentioned earlier, the 3 panels before Community don't seem too popular so I think it's feasible to get in during that time and if you do get before Community, just take the restroom pass out. You can still hit the con floor in the morning. I think by 1pm, it's gonna be mostly Teen Wolf and Hannibal fans creating a traffic jam in the line. It's like trying to avoid rush hour if you try to enter earlier, lol.

Offline evanarose

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 05:28:39 AM »
I'm just mainly up for teen wolf. I'd like to at least see them rather than rely on the big screen. I have a 30x zoom camera lol. So what time do you recommend turning up? Does have to be extreme like 6:30 am or earlier :/. I mean if I have to, I'll do it (not really planning on the overnight idea though.).

Offline imcla

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 08:49:05 AM »
Hm, I had used bathroom passes before to get to the exhibition floor during panels (I did that 2 years ago to get the Community cast autograph during the Korra panel between Community and Firefly) but never thought of doing that to actually go to another panel... my friend and I were debating about whether or not getting in line for B20 at 11:30 for Community after the BSG panel would be too late, this might be another option...

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 09:11:40 AM »
I hate to be that person, but please do consider that when you use the "restroom pass" method to leave and see a different panel, you're essentially "stealing" a seat from someone who might really want to see that panel. You're taking up a spot in two panel rooms at once and denying someone else the opportunity to see either one.  :(

To me it seems worse than using the restroom pass method to trade spots with a friend, because at least in that case someone is using your seat, even if they didn't wait in line for it. (It's CCI, I'm sure they were in line for something!)

Just my two cents.

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
  • Liked: 1750
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 09:14:30 AM »

I hate to be that person, but please do consider that when you use the "restroom pass" method to leave and see a different panel, you're essentially "stealing" a seat from someone who might really want to see that panel. You're taking up a spot in two panel rooms at once and denying someone else the opportunity to see either one.  :(

To me it seems worse than using the restroom pass method to trade spots with a friend, because at least in that case someone is using your seat, even if they didn't wait in line for it. (It's CCI, I'm sure they were in line for something!)

Just my two cents.
Fair point to make and I totally agree.
Time and Relative Dimension in Space - 'TARDIS' for short

Editor-in-Chief of the FoCC Blog

Offline imcla

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 09:35:33 AM »
It is indeed a point to be considered. As I said, I've never done it, but when you think about it, if you have enough time to use the bathroom pass to get into the 2nd panel it probably wasn't that crowded anyway (considering that the validity of the bathroom pass is the lenght of a panel, which is 45 minutes). If you stay in Balroom 20 you'll still be taking the place of a real fan being bored during a panel you couldn't care less about, that's how comic con works.

So I agree, it's not the most correct thing to do and everyone should consider that before doing it, but if they do attempt it I believe they'll probably only succeed with panels that you can basically just walk right in.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 09:39:54 AM »
Right, I was more worried about the seat in the "big" room than the small.
But I've definitely sat through panels I wasn't interested in, and, occasionally come away interested in something new! Which isn't possible if no one is using the seat.  ^-^