Author Topic: the annual couch potato thread or what's your preferd 'get in shape' activity?  (Read 129162 times)

Offline dancetomusic

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 115
Last year before the con I noticed a lot of emphasis on getting fit/staying in shape and breaking in shoes in preparation for the con, and then was surprised to not have felt any foot/leg pain or anything like that during or afterward. But, I've realized that's because 1) I was walking 3 miles and working on my feet for 5+ hours pretty much everyday beforehand and 2) because I mostly went to panels and sat waiting in stationary lines, so I didn't need to walk much anyway!
This year my hotel is even closer to all the action, so even less walking for me! And I still will mostly be doing panels, I think. But either way I would like to get in better shape in these next couple months, so very soon I would like to start stretching everyday and getting in some yoga/pilates action at home. I think I'm finally going to buy myself some small weights to tone up my arms as well!

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
In addition to going for the occasional run, when watching shows I've missed via On Demand (Agents of Shield, Flash, etc.) I'll do quick routines during the commercial breaks.  So, commercial comes on during the Flash, I'll drop and do 10 pushups, head over to the bench to do 15 situps, then do 10 arm curls w/dumbells, until the commercial's over. Then back to watching, until the next break.  It's a really good way to get some exercise in, instead of sitting for the full amount of time watching the show(s).

Hey, anything is better than nothing :)
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline Bert Su

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 73
My preferred method is to get on a treadmill at LA Fitness
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to my YouTube channel for Transformers reviews

Offline DaveG

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 572
For me it's mostly just lots of walking.  If nothing else, C2E2 proved to me that I have a ways to go before I'm in shape for San Diego.

random fact:  It's about 1100 steps or 1/2 mile around the circumference of C2E2's exhibit hall.  Had some time to kill and walked it a few times just to add the steps to my fitbit.  Only about 700-800 steps to go up and down every aisle in their artists alley. 

Offline retired

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1048
My treadmill broke, and i got sick of using my spin bike every day. Stuck to a meal delivery plan but plateaued  for over a month.
i don't like going outside (fresh air and sun make me fill sick. outdoors just doesn't feel natural).

At this point, i need to recover financially from Wondercon+SWC, then ill buy a treadmill. (or maybe the Omni??).
Hoping i get picked for a developer edition of the HTC Vive VR system so i can get my fitness VR+AR platform developed. Then ill use that to get in shape.

Wish we had a nerd fitness gym around here. They said they are developing a smartphone app so nerds around the world can use their exercise programs.

Offline Hal Roth

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 10
Sending out good vibes to everyone getting in shape for the con.  At the 70 day mark today we still have time to make a substantial improvement before SDCC 2015.

I'm following the info from this chart on calories:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

But I really need to up my activity.

Let's get psyched and get it done!

Offline epicaz

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 264
I think it's time to finally get a gym membership!

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
My treadmill broke, and i got sick of using my spin bike every day. Stuck to a meal delivery plan but plateaued  for over a month.
i don't like going outside (fresh air and sun make me fill sick. outdoors just doesn't feel natural).
<snip>

^^ true
bugs are emerging here so we'll have swarms of flying biting buggers descending on us to compliment the sun & fresh air.

<sigh>  but the calorie reduction is going well.  A girl friend suggested going doing something active together- that could be ok. 

are you still plateaued on the weight?  do you notice less of the jiggly stuff ? could be the walking&spinning is turning to muscle which weights more then jiggly stuff. 
Even when i was extremely fit & zero % body fat i would have been considered over-weight due to being solid muscle. 
<Lots of rock climbing & stage hand work loading trucks was going on.>
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline codeviolet

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 48
Is it terrible that I'm primarily up-ing my exercise routine for the purposes of rocking my cosplays instead of for the sake of improving my health? XD

I've been spending at least an hour on the treadmill everyday at maximum incline- even at a brisk walk, I burn 550+ calories in an hour! Just put on Big Bang Theory (or listen to podcasted lectures) and it's generally pretty painless!

I also recommended downloading the app 'My Fitness Pal' to track your caloric intake/output everyday if you have any weight loss goals!

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
Is it terrible that I'm primarily up-ing my exercise routine for the purposes of rocking my cosplays instead of for the sake of improving my health? XD

I've been spending at least an hour on the treadmill everyday at maximum incline- even at a brisk walk, I burn 550+ calories in an hour! Just put on Big Bang Theory (or listen to podcasted lectures) and it's generally pretty painless!

I also recommended downloading the app 'My Fitness Pal' to track your caloric intake/output everyday if you have any weight loss goals!

Nothing wrong with getting in shape for cosplay, ha ha.  I know cosplayers that do that all the time.  Plus, if an added benefit is that you're in better overall health, why not?  Ha ha.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline angoradebs

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 211
So, my big plan for getting in shape was to start walking a TON now that the weather is nice enough.

Except a few days ago, I broke a toe. So walking is out. It should be healed in time for SDCC itself, but not so much in time to get a lot of walking in.

Any suggestions on what I can do to prepare that doesn't involve putting any pressure on my left foot? I'm so mad at myself. Walked right into a stepladder that I forgot to put away.

Offline Hal Roth

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 10
So, my big plan for getting in shape was to start walking a TON now that the weather is nice enough.

Except a few days ago, I broke a toe. So walking is out. It should be healed in time for SDCC itself, but not so much in time to get a lot of walking in.

Any suggestions on what I can do to prepare that doesn't involve putting any pressure on my left foot? I'm so mad at myself. Walked right into a stepladder that I forgot to put away.

I had surgery for a torn quad tendon at the beginning of this year and part of my therapy was leg lifts using ankle weights from a seated position.  I imagine this could be low to no impact on your toe but still give that leg a good work out.

Offline epicaz

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 264
Alright, well I likely wont be getting a gym membership until after the con is over as of now. I did however get a good pair of athletic shoes just in time to break in. What are some activities aside from walking and running that one can do at home with low/minimal equipment?

Offline retired

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1048
An adjustable incline bench (not a barbell bench) is very small and can be folded up and put in a closet. Then get a small range of weights. 10, 20, 30, 40. You'd be able to do most major muscle groups with just dumbells. Cheap, quick, low impact, small footprint

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923

I broke two toes last year and ended up doing recumbent bike at the gym. If I put my foot just right, it didn't impact my toe. You'd need a gym membership for access to the bike though. You can also lay on your back and bicycle your feet in the air, this is how I started doing cardio and leg strengthening after a knee injury a few years ago.  The other suggestion of ankle weights and doing leg lifts was a good one too.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter