Author Topic: Where to suit up?  (Read 5096 times)

Offline Whiskey

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 28
Where to suit up?
« on: June 12, 2017, 06:50:19 PM »
I've tried searching the forum, but could find this question.....
If it's already been answered, my apologies

Is there a room in the convention center for cosplayers to suit up?  If so where?

My 6yo son and I are dressing up as stormtroopers and the shuttle ride from the hotel isn't ideal. Hard to sit.

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
Re: Where to suit up?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 07:08:43 PM »
I've seen a lot of cosplayers just using the restrooms to put things on.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 07:16:27 AM »

Offline Whiskey

• Freebie Table
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 08:17:46 PM »
Where do groups like 501st and brow coats get ready?

Restrooms might be a bit tough.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 08:03:25 AM »
I think most people get ready in their hotel rooms and then go to the convention center.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 09:06:41 AM »
I think most people get ready in their hotel rooms and then go to the convention center.

I agree. Groups like the 501st probably just make sure that someone in their group has a room at either the Bayfront or the MMM for the convenience.

SDCC does not have a space set aside in the convention center for changing into/out of costume.

Offline sylent_asassin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 200
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 09:37:44 AM »
I agree with the consensus. I change in the hotel and walk/take a shuttle to the convention center. The restrooms are filthy, so I wouldn't even change my mind in there.

If you're lucky, you MAY find an empty conference room to change in during the wee-early hours of the show, but those opportunities are few and far between... especially with "Elite" patrolling the halls. It would be nice if they turned one of the empty rooms into a cosplay locker room. I know there are a few conventions that have something similar.

Offline Whiskey

• Freebie Table
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 10:40:03 AM »
THaks guys and gals.

I just want to make the experience great for my son. Taking a 15 min shuttle ride in his stormie outfit where he can't sit might not be the most comfortable.

How about the nearby hotels?

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 10:51:56 AM »

How about the nearby hotels?

Same deal. There are restrooms (sometimes nicer and quieter restrooms) but no specific cosplay changing areas. Can you guys ride over to the convention center in just your undersuits and then put on your armor pieces in a restroom or quiet corner? (I'm not 100% sure how stormtrooper suits work, so apologies if this isn't possible.)

Offline kohyuta

• Ballroom 20
  • Be water, my friend.
    • World Gone Geek
  • Liked: 226
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 12:06:52 PM »
The restrooms in the new expansion of the Marriott Marquis Marina were clean last year, but that could be because they opened the facility just before SDCC.
-----
Be Water, My Friend

Offline superkatchick

• Supporter
  • Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 129
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2017, 12:11:54 PM »
I've seen people adjusting/putting on cosplay on the landing of the steps on the front of the convention center, in the Sails area and the outside hall between Sails and the entrance near Ballroom 20. I second that the bathrooms were nice last year at the Marriott and there was also ample hallway space out in front of the Anime rooms. If you're layering and not worried about people passing by these seem to be roomier and possibly cleaner than the bathrooms! *I'm surprised SDCC hasn't created a Cosplay space where people can do these things, I know space is limited but almost all of the local conventions I go to have one and I believe even NYCC implemented a Cosplay room and "safe" space last year! You may even see if you can reach out to the 501st and see if they'd let you use their space, can't hurt to ask!

Offline dcuodust

• Hall H
  • To me, my board!
  • Liked: 405
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2017, 01:36:26 PM »
I cosplayed two days last year, and being that is was during a heat wave I took a change of clothes with me both days and changed in and out multiple times using restrooms. And just like George Costanza ranked restrooms I can say that the cleanest best one to change in is the restroom in the Hard Rock Hotel main lobby.
What are you, Worf? Do you tremble and quake with fear at the approach of combat? Hoping to talk your way out of a fight like a Human? Or do you hear the cry of the warrior, calling you to battle, calling you to glory like a Klingon?
- Gowron, Chancellor of the Klingon High Council

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2017, 07:37:16 PM »
Now that I am thinking about it, I feel like I have heard someone mention that there is a cosplay repair room. Maybe I am getting it confused with another Con, but maybe google for that and see what you find. They might be fine with changing in there.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline foxbatkllr

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 175
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 04:22:01 PM »
I agree. Groups like the 501st probably just make sure that someone in their group has a room at either the Bayfront or the MMM for the convenience.

SDCC does not have a space set aside in the convention center for changing into/out of costume.

501st member here and long time costumer.

Before I ever got a hotel room (which wasn't until around 2011 or 2012 I think) I would get ready in the parking garage.  Its pretty common practice to suit up at your car for 501st members.  Most of the costumes allow you to wear the soft parts from home (or wherever you are commuting from) and just put the armor on in the parking garage.  Sure, it may raise a few eyebrows but you get over it.

Now I try to get a hotel room and change in the room.  I've also borrowed another person's room to get ready before.  This year I'm at the Solamar, so I'm going to try to make the walk from that hotel in costume.  The walk isn't actually the hard part, I'm more worried about the heat.