Author Topic: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid  (Read 127810 times)

Offline SDcomics

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 214
Re: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid
« Reply #1215 on: July 26, 2021, 07:20:33 AM »
And if Comic-Con 2022 does get cancelled (And God, I hope it doesn't because I miss SDCC so much) that means we will be looking at FOUR YEARS between shows at least.

Hokey smokes, Bullwinkle. 

I don't know how much longer the organizers of this show can survive without income.  I realize they're a non profit, but they still have expenses.  They have full time paid employees and they need office space.  I don't know if the sales from the "Comic-Con @ Home" tee shirts is bringing in a lot of cash.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #1216 on: July 26, 2021, 07:33:26 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I don't know how much longer the organizers of this show can survive without income.  I realize they're a non profit, but they still have expenses.  They have full time paid employees and they need office space.  I don't know if the sales from the "Comic-Con @ Home" tee shirts is bringing in a lot of cash.
FWIW CCI received a few rounds of the Federal loan money (that doesn't have to be paid back if they don't lay off any employees) so they at least have that going for 'em

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #1217 on: Today at 03:29:56 PM »

Offline SDcomics

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 214
« Reply #1217 on: July 26, 2021, 07:52:08 AM »
FWIW CCI received a few rounds of the Federal loan money (that doesn't have to be paid back if they don't lay off any employees) so they at least have that going for 'em

That's good to know.  Thank you for that.

Online sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #1218 on: July 26, 2021, 10:59:52 AM »

Can you point to where you got that information.  I'm just curious.
Phasers on Stun!!!

Online alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #1219 on: July 26, 2021, 12:48:05 PM »
Traveling is already increased.  The challenge the airports are having is getting the crowds thru security in a timely fashion.  I'm hearing stories of it's taking up to 2 hours.

i have been traveling a fair amout & have encountered no delays but i have tsa pre-check

i will say i landed in philly last week at 11pm (2 hr's late) and walked by 2 or 3 packed gates for Spirt airlines

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #1220 on: July 26, 2021, 02:18:29 PM »
Can you point to where you got that information.  I'm just curious.
They received two rounds of PPP loans.  Their official non-profit entity name is 'SAN DIEGO COMIC CONVENTION'

* May 2020,  $1,279,356 You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login which has been forgiven (meaning, they laid off 0 employees and don't have to pay back)
* April 2021, $1,279,355 You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (status unknown since it's a "new" loan)

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #1221 on: July 26, 2021, 03:10:58 PM »
They received two rounds of PPP loans.  Their official non-profit entity name is 'SAN DIEGO COMIC CONVENTION'

* May 2020,  $1,279,356 You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login which has been forgiven (meaning, they laid off 0 employees and don't have to pay back)
* April 2021, $1,279,355 You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (status unknown since it's a "new" loan)

I wonder why the 2nd loan was for $1 dollar less.   :)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #1222 on: July 26, 2021, 03:39:59 PM »
I wonder why the 2nd loan was for $1 dollar less.   :)
That amused me too.  The website has an itemized accounting for CCI's expenses, while the 2nd just has one lump-sum for "payroll" + $1 for "utilities"

Also, I was slightly mistaken on my last post; CCI had $1,292,033/$1,279,356 forgiven; that being said the "jobs reported" figure is the same for both the 2020 paperwork & 2021, so they didn't appear to let anyone go.

*note, not only am I 'just' a teacher; and not only am I 'just' a music teacher.  My main instrument is percussion (fancy word for "drummer"  :P though I can indeed rock a marimba concerto as well as I rock drum set and yes: I've performed both over the years  8) ).  I am in no way a banker, nor do I have much more knowledge of this stuff than the average person.  I have some broad knowledge as my mom was a bank VP, and right before she retired in April 2020 she was working HARD processing her customers' PPP loan apps before she retired; I did hear a little bit of info/some (really, mostly irrelevant) 'inside baseball' about the program.  I'm in no way an expert on ANY of this financial stuff (or, if I'm being honest, most financial stuff - DRUMMER, HERE!), and likely won't comment further on any of this.  I was incredibly happy to see CCI was able to get PPP loans via both rounds, and I sincerely hope it helps them stay financially secure during these awful years of zero/little revenue (dunno how selling merch impacts their bottom line, other than a lot that they sold from back-stock likely helped them).  I do know some small local businesses who were unable to secure PPP loan in the first round, as there was a processing error: so yea Comic-Con!

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 829
« Reply #1223 on: July 26, 2021, 06:33:09 PM »
At the urging of federal regulators, both Pfizer and Moderna will expand vaccine studies on children 5-11.

WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #1224 on: July 27, 2021, 12:23:02 PM »
The CDC has reinstated the mask recommendation for fully vaccinated people in high transmission areas.  Based on the map I saw, San Diego(as is all of Southern California) is a high transmission area.

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Crazy-Town Banana-Pants!
  • Liked: 684
« Reply #1225 on: July 27, 2021, 12:32:11 PM »
The CDC has reinstated the mask recommendation for fully vaccinated people in high transmission areas.

Being honest here, this news is not really shocking to see. The writing was on the wall for sometime. Heck, I did say it would happen eventually, targeted or not.

Twitter: @ScottyTheWise

2014: SDCC, LBCC
2015: WC, SWCA, WW Sac., D23, LBCC, Comikaze
2016: SVCC, WC, SDCC
2017: ECCC, WC, SVCC, D23, SDCC
2018: WC, SVCC, E3, SDCC
2019: WC, SDCC, D23
2022: SWCA, SDCC, D23
2023: SDCC

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #1226 on: July 27, 2021, 02:50:16 PM »
On a lighter note, I saw a reaction video where someone was in all ahegao clothes and the reactors said:  "That's really smart for social distancing.  You wear that and people will stay the [bad word] away from you."

It was a great point--I was dying.  :)  That's one way to achieve 6 foot separation.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #1227 on: July 27, 2021, 04:53:07 PM »
Being honest here, this news is not really shocking to see. The writing was on the wall for sometime. Heck, I did say it would happen eventually, targeted or not.
Seriously: it's more of a "maybe a bit too late?" announcement IMO.  I'm actually a bit bummed that it was (seemingly: heard from a colleague with a MUCH higher pay grade in the San Diego education industry than I) that public school teachers were NOT part of the mandatory vaccination plan in CA.  I suspect it's because we have such a MASSIVE teacher shortage as it is, and the gov was advised not to potentially push more educators away.
But as the parent of a seven year old, it scares me to think his teacher may not be vaccinated.  There are still no changes in education guidance from when we had the tiered system, so I don't know at this point IF anything will change; masks are still required on all preK-12 campuses so at least there's that.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #1228 on: July 27, 2021, 07:42:01 PM »
Seriously: it's more of a "maybe a bit too late?" announcement IMO.

The CDC is slow, but it gets there.  Eventually.  Most of the time.  I remember a comment from someone like "The CDC is a great peace time organization".  Meaning that the CDC is great when there's no crisis but when there is they are too slow.  It seems like the CDC is always fighting the last battle.  Until this last week, they seem like they were basing their decisions on the alpha variant.  Finally, they have caught up with delta.  Now they recommend masks again and are on the verge of recommending a booster shot.  Unfortunately, in a pandemic, that is way too slow.  You want to be on top of the curve, if not in front.  Not standing off to the side as the curve goes right by you.  We need someone in charge of pandemic response.  In both the current and the last administration, the CDC has shown it shouldn't be them.  It's time to reform the pandemic response team that the Trump administration disbanded.

US public health constantly gets masking wrong.  The last Surgeon General said in an interview over the weekend that they were trying to save N95 masks for healthcare workers when they told the public that we didn't need to wear masks and to instead wash our hands.  They hadn't intended to start the anti-mask movement.  Why couldn't they have just been upfront about it?  Wearing a masks is critical but we don't have enough N95 masks to go around.  The frontline health workers need those.  Please do your best with what you can get.  Wrap a t-shirt around your face.  Make a mask out of a paper towel.  Do the best you can.  Instead they told people that they didn't need to mask up.  That message has stuck with about half of America.

Masking should be just about the last thing we stop doing, when it's clear the pandemic is well under control.  Instead we put it away it at the drop of a hat.  We don't learn.  It's not too late.  Masking is still the most effective tool we have.  The CDC reversing course gives local governments and businesses the cover again to enforce masking.

Online alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #1229 on: July 28, 2021, 10:13:38 AM »
On a lighter note, I saw a reaction video where someone was in all ahegao clothes and the reactors said:  "That's really smart for social distancing.  You wear that and people will stay the [bad word] away from you."

It was a great point--I was dying.  :)  That's one way to achieve 6 foot separation.

yepers- #backingSlowlyAway
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5