Author Topic: SDCC popularity.  (Read 14808 times)

Offline angi

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 73
Re: SDCC popularity.
« Reply #135 on: May 25, 2018, 05:11:22 PM »
I'd prefer if they work with the studios and split the content between wondercon and sdcc.  If wondercon had more content I enjoyed, I'd go. Maybe tv vs movies or something, dunno, but anything to alleviate the crowds.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #136 on: May 25, 2018, 09:42:56 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Yes, along with the quality of the experiences, offsites freebies, have actually gotten better than in-panel SDCC offerings.

In my opinion, that's the big difference between the offsites and comic-con proper.  Comic-con is observational and the offsites are experiential.  You go to panels at comic-con to be an audience.  You do the offsites to participate.  Watching a panel of say how they made the Blade runner set is one thing, being able to walk around in one is another.  To this day, when I watch Mr. Robot, I have a physical memory of Elliot's apartment since I was in a duplicate of the set.  It's just not a place I've seen on TV, it's a place I've been.  That's a world of difference.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #137 on: Today at 03:57:12 PM »

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #137 on: May 26, 2018, 10:08:39 AM »
In my opinion, that's the big difference between the offsites and comic-con proper.  Comic-con is observational and the offsites are experiential.  You go to panels at comic-con to be an audience.  You do the offsites to participate.  Watching a panel of say how they made the Blade runner set is one thing, being able to walk around in one is another.  To this day, when I watch Mr. Robot, I have a physical memory of Elliot's apartment since I was in a duplicate of the set.  It's just not a place I've seen on TV, it's a place I've been.  That's a world of difference.

It is kinda like when in 2016 i was able to be to close to or see the real deal or replicas of superman statue and batmobile from the movie. so yes it one thing to see from a far then to see anything up close and notice any details at the time. so basically offsites are like being on the set as to panels u only get to see or be told of how they did stuff for a scene.

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #138 on: May 27, 2018, 03:46:46 PM »
It seemed last year there were a lot more people around on Sunday than there were say 4-5 years ago.  Back then around about 2pm it was pretty empty.

Dude, you're missing out.  They are awesome.  I was talking to someone about last year's comic-con the other day and spontaneously we both said that the Bladerunner offsite was the best thing about it.  That was one of the late ones.  They were still going at 10pm.  I'm not sure how late they stayed to get everyone thorough that was in line.  I was walking by and there was still quite a line.  I could have sworn that some offsite went until midnight.  That may have been the GoT one but you had to get in line 12 hours earlier for that.  They vowed to stay open until everyone who waited made it through.  In general many more offsites seemed to be around on Sunday and around later.

I probably am missing out, but it’s just so hard for me to justify the time commitment required for these — both the lines (I don’t do lines unless I get an entire’s day worth of programming worth going to in one room) & the ~hour round trip it takes to get across the street between the Convention Center and the Gaslamp, not to mention giving up all the programming inside that I’ve paid for. I’ve figured that if I don’t get all 4 days some year then I’ll try the offsites on the off days but of course Friday and Saturday are probably going to be the busiest for those as well. But thanks for the tips about them lasting longer — I’ll definitely check things out Sunday night this year!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 07:01:31 PM by hikanteki »
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
« Reply #139 on: May 27, 2018, 05:56:41 PM »
I probably am missing out, but it’s just so hard for me to justify the time commitment required for these — both the lines (I don’t do lines unless I get an entire’s day worth of programming worth going to in one room) & the ~hour round trip it takes to get across the street between the Convention Center and the Gaslamp, not to mention giving up all the programming inside that I’ve paid for. I’ve figured that if I don’t get all 4 days some year then I’ll try the offsites on the off days but of course Friday and Saturday are probably going to be the busiest for those as well.  that But thanks for the tips about them lasting longer — I’ll definitely check things out Sunday night this year!

I would agree here.  After investing all that I do to gain access to SDCC, I do not want to waste more time and money elsewhere.  Yes, I do walk around to see what's up, but I don't want to stay and play there.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #140 on: May 27, 2018, 06:12:21 PM »
Seeing how Wondercon did online lottery for panels and signings, it might happen with SDCC this year but no news of it till we read of anyone get emails to check in and choose what they wanna try for and hope u get something. so if this happens it may remove lines or shorten them some for this year. but time will tell.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #141 on: May 27, 2018, 10:53:15 PM »
I’ll definitely check things out Sunday night this year!

I don't think any will be open at 10pm Sunday night.  If that's going to happen, that will be on Friday and Saturday.  Open late on Sunday is 5pm.  I don't see how they can be open that late on Sunday since they have to be gone by Monday.  Last year, there was a conference starting in the Marriot on Monday and late on Sunday afternoon they had already replaced some of the comic-con signage with that for the next conference.  Even by Sunday night, many of the offsites will be gone.  They break them down quickly.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #142 on: May 27, 2018, 10:59:40 PM »
Seeing how Wondercon did online lottery for panels and signings, it might happen with SDCC this year but no news of it till we read of anyone get emails to check in and choose what they wanna try for and hope u get something. so if this happens it may remove lines or shorten them some for this year. but time will tell.

I think that will change a lot of the atmosphere of comic-con.  If I were an industry participant, I'm not sure I would like that.  There's a lot to be said for rewarding the people who really want to be there.  An online lottery makes it too easy.  Some people would do it just to do it even if they have no intention of showing up.  I think the spots should go to people who are willing to camp out overnight.  Camping out overnight generates a lot of buzz that an online lottery does not.  As marketing for a show, saying people got in by online lottery doesn't have the same buzz as getting in by camping out overnight.

I think any effort would be better spent making sure that people don't cut in line and reward people who have put the time in versus an online lottery.

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #143 on: May 28, 2018, 03:12:25 AM »
I don't think any will be open at 10pm Sunday night.  If that's going to happen, that will be on Friday and Saturday.  Open late on Sunday is 5pm.  I don't see how they can be open that late on Sunday since they have to be gone by Monday.  Last year, there was a conference starting in the Marriot on Monday and late on Sunday afternoon they had already replaced some of the comic-con signage with that for the next conference.  Even by Sunday night, many of the offsites will be gone.  They break them down quickly.

Oh ok. My original question was asking which offsites were open until 12 on Sunday (or at all after the con closed at 5) So when you mentioned offsites being open until 10-12 I thought you were referring to Sunday, but it turns out you were referring to Saturday instead. But, thanks for the clarification. :)  Ah well, good to know but then if things go until midnight-ish on Friday and Saturday (both inside the con and out) but shut down cold at 5 on Sunday, then I’d still consider Sunday a half day. Also I guess still no offsites for me then.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 03:19:16 AM by hikanteki »
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 591
« Reply #144 on: May 28, 2018, 09:12:50 AM »
I think that will change a lot of the atmosphere of comic-con.  If I were an industry participant, I'm not sure I would like that.  There's a lot to be said for rewarding the people who really want to be there.  An online lottery makes it too easy.  Some people would do it just to do it even if they have no intention of showing up.  I think the spots should go to people who are willing to camp out overnight.  Camping out overnight generates a lot of buzz that an online lottery does not.  As marketing for a show, saying people got in by online lottery doesn't have the same buzz as getting in by camping out overnight.

I think any effort would be better spent making sure that people don't cut in line and reward people who have put the time in versus an online lottery.
I was at WonderCon, and there were, as you said, a lot of no shows. They ended up doing a line anyway for standbys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mattytreks

• Ballroom 20
    • mattytreks on twitter
  • Liked: 233
« Reply #145 on: May 29, 2018, 10:19:43 AM »
I for one, would welcome Hollywood to pack up and never come back.

But this is very much personal opinion/preference, and I would completely understand if others would want them to stay this year, and for all years in the future.
Star Wars | LEGO | 1000toys | Batman | Voltron

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #146 on: May 29, 2018, 10:22:03 AM »
Oh ok. My original question was asking which offsites were open until 12 on Sunday (or at all after the con closed at 5) So when you mentioned offsites being open until 10-12 I thought you were referring to Sunday, but it turns out you were referring to Saturday instead. But, thanks for the clarification. :)  Ah well, good to know but then if things go until midnight-ish on Friday and Saturday (both inside the con and out) but shut down cold at 5 on Sunday, then I’d still consider Sunday a half day. Also I guess still no offsites for me then.

I usually see them tearing down the offsites on Sunday afternoon.  But, the best thing to do--if you are interested in a few of them is to ask them how long they will be open.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #147 on: May 29, 2018, 10:36:59 AM »
Guessing offsites are different every year. studios marketing team always gotta brainstorm for ads and all every year to promote anything. knowing what movies are still to come out later, then mite be some cool offsites to check out by chance but it just ideas so cant say what movies mite have an off site just yet. some shows are on hiatus right now so not sure who be in the sails for autographs any, so hope to read of any updates later to try and do meet and greet with any one from shows i like to watch or have seen in the past. it can be shows or movies or other, i just have to hope i have some clue who they are so not feel lost when i go to meet anyone and have something to chat about. time will tell as we get closer to con time and they start throwing us more news who be where and when ea day.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #148 on: May 29, 2018, 08:46:53 PM »
Getting back on-topic regarding the popularity of SDCC...

Just out of curiosity, has anyone read or heard about Rob Salkowitz's book Comic-Con and the Business of Pop Culture: What the World’s Wildest Trade Show Can Tell Us About the Future of Entertainment

(I just heard of it myself while I was searching away on Amazon, but I might be curious enough to read it, ha ha.  XD)

There are a few pages of excerpts on the Amazon website as well, if anyone is interested in checking it out: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Summary from Amazon:
Every summer, more than 130,000 comic fans, gamers, cosplay enthusiasts, and nerds of all stripes descend on San Diego to mingle with the top entertainment celebrities and creative industry professionals in an unprecedented celebration of popular culture in all its forms.

From humble beginnings, Comic-Con has mutated into an electrifying, exhausting galaxy of movies, TV, video games, art, fashion, toys, merchandise, and buzz. It’s where the future of entertainment unspools in real time, and everyone wants to be there.

In Comic-Con and the Business of Pop Culture, author Rob Salkowitz, a recognized expert in digital media and the global digital generation (and unabashed comics enthusiast), explores how the humble art form of comics ended up at the center of the 21st-century media universe. From Comic-Con’s massive exhibit hall and panels to its exclusive parties and business suites, Salkowitz peels back the layers to show how comics culture is influencing communications, entertainment, digital technology, marketing, education, and storytelling.

What can the world’s most approachable and adaptable art form tell us about the importance of individual talent and personal engagement in the era of the new global audience, the iPad, and the quarter-billion-dollar summer blockbuster? Here are some of the issues Salkowitz explores:

How do you succeed in the transmedia maelstrom? Comics have hopscotched across the media landscape for decades. What can we learn from their successes and failures as we careen toward a converged digital future?

Have comics cracked the digital code? Everyone is scrambling to deal with the business disruptions of digital distribution. Does the recent success of comics on tablets demonstrate a new model for other industries, or do dangers lie ahead?

What’s next for “peak geek”? Will the ascendant nerd culture of the early 2010s keep its new audience engaged or burn out from overexposure?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 09:34:51 PM by Zero »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #149 on: May 29, 2018, 09:30:17 PM »
That book looks extremely relevant to my interests.  Might make a good travel book for July :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk