Author Topic: What '18 Spring & Early Summer Cons are you going to?  (Read 8123 times)

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
Re: What '18 Spring & Early Summer Cons are you going to?
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2017, 09:15:26 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
oh oh I can answer that, $1 comic vendors ....

That too.  I like to buy a lot, make a pile out of them, and curl up for a nap on them like Smaug on a pile of gold.  :)

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2017, 09:15:57 PM »
Has anyone gone to Superman Celebration? 2018 will be the 40th annual celebration. I have always wanted to go, but it seems like it's difficult to get to (as in renting a car and driving from the airport). We are lazy about things like that (yet we drive 8 hours to see my parents every Thanksgiving). It's held in Metropolis, Illinois.

I wouldn't do it. I'm from Southern Illinois/Indiana and there ain't JACK to do in Metropolis. Never been to this Con, but can't imagine it's big enough to entertain our of town travelers unless they REALLY love Superman. I mean, unless you find the middle-of-nowhere redneck life something to behold. Which some might. I grew up there and was glad to scoot on out!
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 08:31:51 AM »

Offline Aaron

• Exhibit Hall
  • Getting #ComicConFit for any con (and for life)!
    • Hall H Show Podcast
  • Liked: 45
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2017, 10:33:00 PM »
oh oh I can answer that, $1 comic vendors ....
I believe I counted at least 7 comic vendors. There was a SDCF thread during the event and I think I responded there with a real time count of comic book vendors.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Co-Host of the #HallHshow podcast. #ComicConFit motivator.

Personal:
Twitter/Instagram/Facebook: AaronNabus

Hall H:
Twitter/Instagram/Facebook: HallHdotcom

Comic Con Fit:
Twitter/Instagram/Facebook: ComicConFit

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2017, 12:04:04 AM »
SVCC for sure, probably ECCC, and a couple of nearby anime cons.

ECCC was originally my replacement for WonderCon (if I was going to have to travel, I might as well go somewhere interesting), but now we have SVCC, which is at least in the same league as both of those. So while I don't need both ECCC and SVCC, I like both...LOL.

But...I've noticed ECCC not really going anywhere the last couple of years...it has had good years and bad years, but since I've started going in 2012 I haven't really seen a consistent trend of it getting better. I'm ready to accept that it doesn't have to be an every-year con for me...but I'm not quite ready to give it up just yet.
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2017, 06:10:58 AM »
I've heard good things about ECCC (it's definitely on my list of future cons to go to). I enjoyed SVCC. It had a good vibe but was relatively low key (there were some awesome panels...like with Buzz Aldrin, Adam Savage and Grant Gustin/Tom Felton...and NASA had a substantial presence). Being in Silicon Valley...they try to combine technology and pop culture. Hopefully I can meet founder (and Apple co-founder) Steve Wozniak next year.

WC is a given.

So is SDCF. San Diego Comic-Fest was incredible! Celebrities left and right. And when I say celebrities, I'm talking about such luminaries like Floyd Norman, Larry Houston, Baton Lash, Mike Royer, Mark Evanier, Arlen Schumer, Jim Valentino...and more. This year's focus was on Jack Kirby and they knocked it out of the park (especially with the Kirby cocktails at the Kirby Cafe).

Next year's theme will be the celebration of the 200th anniversary  Mary Shelleys Frankenstein (looking forward to seeing what they do for that one)!

I want to figure out a way to go to all of those, eccc, svcc, wc & sdcf. I don't think it's going to be possible- but i've only given it a few days of thinking. There may be a way.

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2017, 08:41:22 AM »
The cons are all nicely spread out this year (ECCC at the beginning of March, WC 3 weeks later, SVCC 4 weeks after that) but that makes it difficult to attend all of them for those not on the west coast.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2017, 09:42:39 AM »
The cons are all nicely spread out this year (ECCC at the beginning of March, WC 3 weeks later, SVCC 4 weeks after that) but that makes it difficult to attend all of them for those not on the west coast.

i wouldn't call it 'nicely'..... LOL I really enjoyed ECC & want to hang out with my cousin. I was even thinking of getting my other cuz to join us & take them all to ECCC. It's just too much time until WC. I think it's either going to be either eccc, wc, c2e2 or WC SVCC & SDCF

I just have too much up in the air right now to plan- & it's driving me crazy!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 11:01:26 AM by alyssa »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2017, 09:56:29 AM »
i wouldn't call it 'nicely'..... LOL I really enjoyed ECC & want to hang out with my cousin. I was even thinking of getting my other cuz to join us & take them all to ECCC. It's just too much time until WC. I think it's either going to be either eccc, wc, c2e2 or c2e2 SVCC & SDCF

I just have too much up in the air right now to plan- & it's driving me crazy!

Well, I say 'nicely'  because only 2 years ago, I had 3 of those cons in 4 weeks. And this was while working and trying to live my life! It was exhausting. It's nice to have the few weeks of break in between if you are attending them all. But I can see from your perspective, where it's all vacation  and you don't have other obligations in between, that it would be better to have them closer together.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2017, 10:00:17 AM »
Well, I say 'nicely'  because only 2 years ago, I had 3 of those cons in 4 weeks. And this was while working and trying to live my life! It was exhausting. It's nice to have the few weeks of break in between if you are attending them all. But I can see from your perspective, where it's all vacation  and you don't have other obligations in between, that it would be better to have them closer together.

i understand .... and agree when there's a bunch of con's on the east coast LOL

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2017, 10:45:41 AM »
To me, even if i gone to comic cons before years ago we or i alone would go i guess 1 day as far as i remember and did all that was possible. but now with so many, i guess everyone tries to go to all possible then u get burned out maybe goig to so many. having a chance to go for like 4 days was cool and a mini vacation from job. but for me 4 days is enough to collect and get whatever i can at time if u plan ahead right and all. if i wanna try go to any others i see where it at online and decide if it possible to get to and now can try volunteer as well since i had a like a try at SDCC. so i have some experience but not a pro lol. any way to save to get in if possible. but nice to have a break in between cons even if close and posible to get to, still try to plan and hope for the best. so got the comic con bug back on track kinda so see what i can go to later lol.

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2017, 12:14:15 PM »

I did all 3-of-those-in-4-weeks last year too. And to add to that, I had just gotten back from a 2-week business trip to China literally the week before the first one.
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2017, 09:53:38 PM »
I've heard good things about ECCC (it's definitely on my list of future cons to go to). I enjoyed SVCC. It had a good vibe but was relatively low key (there were some awesome panels...like with Buzz Aldrin, Adam Savage and Grant Gustin/Tom Felton...and NASA had a substantial presence). Being in Silicon Valley...they try to combine technology and pop culture. Hopefully I can meet founder (and Apple co-founder) Steve Wozniak next year.

WC is a given.

So is SDCF. San Diego Comic-Fest was incredible! Celebrities left and right. And when I say celebrities, I'm talking about such luminaries like Floyd Norman, Larry Houston, Baton Lash, Mike Royer, Mark Evanier, Arlen Schumer, Jim Valentino...and more. This year's focus was on Jack Kirby and they knocked it out of the park (especially with the Kirby cocktails at the Kirby Cafe).

Next year's theme will be the celebration of the 200th anniversary  Mary Shelleys Frankenstein (looking forward to seeing what they do for that one)!

Wozniak goes to SVCC?

in addition to the cocktails, SVCF had the hard sci-fi authors- they really appealed to me. Benford, Brin & Bear..... I've got a few first editions i would have loved to have gotten signed .....

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Crazy-Town Banana-Pants!
  • Liked: 684
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2017, 11:40:06 PM »
2018? Still 2017. Lol But the way time goes, you have to think ahead. Just hopefully the future is kind -- nothing bad pops up. Anyway, looking ahead, most likely the same 3 for me -- ECCC, WC, and SVCC. Aready have the hotel booked for SVCC. Just waiting for the VIP to go on sale. Then by trying for ECCC again, I can shoot for the Funko store. WC is always fun, because of its location. Though, if I can only do two spring cons, I would skip WC. But we shall see. As of right now, it's 3 cons.

Wozniak goes to SVCC?

in addition to the cocktails, SVCF had the hard sci-fi authors- they really appealed to me. Benford, Brin & Bear..... I've got a few first editions i would have loved to have gotten signed .....
Yes, Wozniak goes to it because he, with the help of Stan Lee, created it. His face is on some banners and on the shirts, too. It's such a fun con -- 2017 was really good. If you are going in 2018, you will enjoy it.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 12:18:13 AM by Mario Wario »
Twitter: @ScottyTheWise

2014: SDCC, LBCC
2015: WC, SWCA, WW Sac., D23, LBCC, Comikaze
2016: SVCC, WC, SDCC
2017: ECCC, WC, SVCC, D23, SDCC
2018: WC, SVCC, E3, SDCC
2019: WC, SDCC, D23
2022: SWCA, SDCC, D23
2023: SDCC

Offline Violet

• Gaming Lounge
  • Gender Biased Reviews www.gbreviews.com
    • Gender Biased Reviews
  • Liked: 118
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2017, 08:56:45 AM »
It's very difficult for us to go to out of town cons, due to my husband only getting 5 vacation days per year, despite having worked at his company for 11 years... Meanwhile, I just started a new job in Jan, where I get 2 Float days, and am able to accrue 18 PTO days within a year! Anyway, we are lucky that we live in Southern California, where there are so many great cons, like WonderCon and Gallifrey One, both of which we are going to. ECCC is on the bucket list, along with C2E2, and NYCC of course. Not sure we'll make it out to any of those next year though.

Offline janray

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 114
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2017, 09:20:02 AM »
Only going to SVCC next spring.  However, my granddaughter goes to Fanime in San Jose every year so we usually make it a weekend getaway and spoil ourselves at the Fairmont.