Author Topic: The Horton Grand parking/info  (Read 5826 times)

Offline funkybutton

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 1
The Horton Grand parking/info
« on: April 24, 2012, 04:04:46 PM »
I know there is both a hotel thread and a parking thread, but this didn't really seem to fit either- sorry if I'm in the wrong place here!

When I filled out the hotel application, I admittedly did not research the hotels, but picked them according to cost/location. The Horton Grand was my second choice and I was stoked to get it until I read the reviews, which are mostly pretty freaking horrible. One of the reviews stated that he had gotten there and told that their valet parking was full (they do not have a lot, it is only valet)- and was left to his own parking devices during his stay in SD. This was not during SDCC or any other event at the convention center to his knowledge.

Now i'm terrified that I'm going to get down there and not have a place to leave my car, I'd rather not pay for additional parking at or around the convention center and then get down there and have it not be needed. Have any of you heard of problems with people staying at the Horton Grand and not being able to leave their car there? And just out of curiousity, even if you haven't stayed there, have you heard about other problems at this hotel? Thanks!!

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7002
Re: The Horton Grand parking/info
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 04:27:15 PM »
try parking your car at the airport in the long term lot, it'll most likely be be cheaper then downtown hotel parking anyway.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 02:46:24 AM »

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 04:34:26 PM »
Have you tried calling the hotel? Ask them what their parking policy is and about the likelihood of you getting a parking spot. If you're arriving early (say, the Tuesday before the Con) then you'll probably have a better chance than if you ar arriving Thursday morning.

Offline KirbySS

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 30
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 04:35:15 PM »
If you just want to leave your car there and get a spot when you check-in it should be no problem. Once you have a spot in whatever garage they use then you should be able to leave it there until you leave. The problem I could see for a hotel with limited parking is that if you leave the lot they might take in another car and if no more cars leave then you won't have a spot when you return. I don't know anything about the Horton in particular but based on what you've said I would plan to park when I checked-in and leave it there.

If it were a good hotel they would make accomodations for overflow valet parking for Comic-Con. Try calling the hotel manager and discussing your parking concerns, you'll have a better idea of where you stand.

Offline funkybutton

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 04:53:13 PM »
thanks for all the replies!

no, i have no intention of moving my car if i get a spot, i'd like to avoid driving through the gaslamp as much as possible lol, i'm sure it will be madness. i'm getting there wednesday- i'm not sure if it'll be early enough :( the long term airport parking is a great idea, thanks!

as for those who said i should call them and ask directly..... you're totally right. but according to the reviews i've read the desk staff who answers the phones are extremely rude and generally not knowledgeable about their own hotel (i can't WAIT to stay here lol, it sounds totes awesome!). so i was putting off calling them and wanted to see if anyone else had an experience (or a friend with experience) there :)

Offline Khaaaaaaanh!!!

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 05:10:04 PM »
Don't know abt the Horton Grand specifically but I've seen alot of the hotels post signs that parking will only be provided to hotel guests - usually see it Friday and Saturday when the crowds get much bigger and everyone is looking for a place to park.

I'm pretty sure you'll be fine for Wednesday...
...you had me at hello...

New to the forum? Look here!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline KirbySS

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 30
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 08:35:16 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
as for those who said i should call them and ask directly..... you're totally right. but according to the reviews i've read the desk staff who answers the phones are extremely rude and generally not knowledgeable about their own hotel (i can't WAIT to stay here lol, it sounds totes awesome!). so i was putting off calling them and wanted to see if anyone else had an experience (or a friend with experience) there :)

I wouldn't bother with the desk staff, they might turn over year to year and may not know. I would ask for the hotel manager directly, get his name and make a written note of the call including the date and time. If he tells you there will be no problem then you've got a record of your conversation and you are more likely to be accomodated if things go wrong later.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7002
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 07:33:22 AM »
i'm not sure what on street parking is like, but if it was me, i'd check in, park on the street for an hr or 3, then go out to supper drive to the airport parking. 
This would only work if you're leaving on Monday tho as it would be too much of a hassle on sunday.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5