Author Topic: Wonder Con 2016, Easter weekend, March 25-27...Chat...  (Read 20175 times)

Offline vegasndn

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 160
Re: Wonder Con 2016, Easter weekend, March 25-27...Chat...
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2015, 08:45:19 PM »
We were thinking of staying at Century City and riding the I think subway into downtown. Question is this safe and how long of a trip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Violet

• Gaming Lounge
  • Gender Biased Reviews www.gbreviews.com
    • Gender Biased Reviews
  • Liked: 118
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2015, 10:48:10 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
thx for the tip, it's blocked off starting on march 1 2016. i'm hoping it'll open up on aug 1st

anyone know what the parking is like at the LA venue?  Is it close? is it expensive?

During Comikaze, it cost $20 to park at the LA convention center. You can find parking a couple blocks away for $10+, but we opted for the convenience of being right at the convention center. You go to the exit of the parking garage and you're in the convention center already.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 06:15:28 AM »

Offline Violet

• Gaming Lounge
  • Gender Biased Reviews www.gbreviews.com
    • Gender Biased Reviews
  • Liked: 118
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2015, 10:54:33 AM »
We were thinking of staying at Century City and riding the I think subway into downtown. Question is this safe and how long of a trip?

Where in Century City? There is no subway near Century City, unfortunately. There is a light rail train somewhat near Century City, at the Culver City Station. I believe there is a free Park & Ride parking lot, and it takes about 30 min. You'll get off at the Pico station, just across the street from the convention center. If you don't have a car, you'd have to take a bus or cab to the station. As for safety, I'd say daytime riding is fine, but nighttime, I would be a little wary.

Offline dolphina

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Live Long and Prosper
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2015, 04:52:07 PM »
$20 does seem to be the going rate for the convention center parking garage. That is the price I paid last year at Comikazi and the price my son paid last month at E3. As Violet said, the garage is right there across from the convention center, super convienent. Only issue I have, is I don't want to be paying for hotel parking and convention parking.
A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting”

Wondercon, SDCC, Comikazi, Blizzcon, SWCA, D23

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2015, 05:13:42 PM »
During Comikaze, it cost $20 to park at the LA convention center. You can find parking a couple blocks away for $10+, but we opted for the convenience of being right at the convention center. You go to the exit of the parking garage and you're in the convention center already.

thx  i have family in Manhattan Beach & am thinking of commuting
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline dolphina

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2015, 05:15:45 PM »
That would prolly be good plan.
A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting”

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2015, 06:48:03 PM »
I'd totally commute Alyssa. Save that money!! Everyone talking about WC really has me sad that I'm not going. It's such a great Con for comics and autographs from creators
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2015, 07:15:31 PM »
i may

it really depends on 2 factors, if the family is still living there and if i'm able to find a roommate for c2e2
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline vegasndn

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2015, 10:44:17 PM »

Where in Century City? There is no subway near Century City, unfortunately. There is a light rail train somewhat near Century City, at the Culver City Station. I believe there is a free Park & Ride parking lot, and it takes about 30 min. You'll get off at the Pico station, just across the street from the convention center. If you don't have a car, you'd have to take a bus or cab to the station. As for safety, I'd say daytime riding is fine, but nighttime, I would be a little wary.
I have no idea what public transportation is like in LA, but I know I don't want to drive around downtown. What is this? Any info is appreciated

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2015, 03:02:17 AM »
I have no idea what public transportation is like in LA, but I know I don't want to drive around downtown. What is this? Any info is appreciated You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The image is a partial map of the Red Line Metro Rail.  Each circle is a different station or stop.

The Red Line Metro Rail is basically one of the light rail trains in Los Angeles.  Think of the Metro Rail like the trolleys you see in San Diego.  However, the Metro Rail trains in L.A. are actually accented with the color that they're supposed to represent, while San Diego only has the single red color for all of the trolleys.

The Red Line services many stops and locations, as shown on this map: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It goes through Downtown Los Angeles, Hollywood, Universal City (where Universal Studios is), and North Hollywood, to name a few.  You can connect to different Metro Rail lines (like Blue, Gold, Purple, Green, etc.) to get around the greater Los Angeles area.

In Los Angeles, you can use cash and coins, or the TAP card, for public transportation.  The TAP card similar to how San Diego uses the Compass card.  You load the TAP card with money and then you tap onto a small service kiosk when you want to go on a bus or metro rail.

More information about Metro fares:
"Metro’s base fare is $1.75. You can pay cash each time you board a Metro bus (bus operators don't carry change, so you'll need exact fare) or buy and add value to a reusable TAP card from TAP vending machines at Metro Rail or Metro Orange Line stations.

Reduced cash fares are available for senior and disabled riders with valid proof of status.

If you’re going to be a frequent rider, a 30-Day Pass or 7-Day Pass may be your best value. There are several types of Reduced Fare Passes for student, senior and disabled riders as well; a Day Pass is also available. All are sold on stored value cards called TAP cards at hundreds of locations throughout the county.

If you're getting on a Metro bus with a pre-paid pass or stored value on a TAP card, simply tap it on the farebox's TAP target as you board. On Metro Rail lines and the Metro Orange Line, you need to tap your card on the turnstile or station validator as you enter the station."

Here are some guides from the Metro website to get you started:

How to ride with a TAP card:

How to load a TAP card: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

TAP card FAQs: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

When trying to figure out the best routes for public transportation, use the Trip Planner on the Metro website.  You can also trying using Google Maps to see if they'll give you a different or alternate route as well.

Trip Planner: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Once you have a general idea of the buses or metro rails you need to take, you can start figuring out ride fare, how much you'll need to load onto the TAP card to cover your round-trips back and forth from your destinations (TAP cards are much easier to use than carrying exact change all the time for each ride), and which stops you'll need to get off of. 

Extra tidbits:
For a Metro destination guide (attractions at the different stops along the various stations for the Metro Rail):

Hope that helps, and good luck!  ^__^d
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 03:05:27 AM by Zero »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline vegasndn

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2015, 11:15:34 PM »

The image is a partial map of the Red Line Metro Rail.  Each circle is a different station or stop.

The Red Line Metro Rail is basically one of the light rail trains in Los Angeles.  Think of the Metro Rail like the trolleys you see in San Diego.  However, the Metro Rail trains in L.A. are actually accented with the color that they're supposed to represent, while San Diego only has the single red color for all of the trolleys.

The Red Line services many stops and locations, as shown on this map: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It goes through Downtown Los Angeles, Hollywood, Universal City (where Universal Studios is), and North Hollywood, to name a few.  You can connect to different Metro Rail lines (like Blue, Gold, Purple, Green, etc.) to get around the greater Los Angeles area.

In Los Angeles, you can use cash and coins, or the TAP card, for public transportation.  The TAP card similar to how San Diego uses the Compass card.  You load the TAP card with money and then you tap onto a small service kiosk when you want to go on a bus or metro rail.

More information about Metro fares:
"Metro’s base fare is $1.75. You can pay cash each time you board a Metro bus (bus operators don't carry change, so you'll need exact fare) or buy and add value to a reusable TAP card from TAP vending machines at Metro Rail or Metro Orange Line stations.

Reduced cash fares are available for senior and disabled riders with valid proof of status.

If you’re going to be a frequent rider, a 30-Day Pass or 7-Day Pass may be your best value. There are several types of Reduced Fare Passes for student, senior and disabled riders as well; a Day Pass is also available. All are sold on stored value cards called TAP cards at hundreds of locations throughout the county.

If you're getting on a Metro bus with a pre-paid pass or stored value on a TAP card, simply tap it on the farebox's TAP target as you board. On Metro Rail lines and the Metro Orange Line, you need to tap your card on the turnstile or station validator as you enter the station."

Here are some guides from the Metro website to get you started:

How to ride with a TAP card:

How to load a TAP card: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

TAP card FAQs: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

When trying to figure out the best routes for public transportation, use the Trip Planner on the Metro website.  You can also trying using Google Maps to see if they'll give you a different or alternate route as well.

Trip Planner: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Once you have a general idea of the buses or metro rails you need to take, you can start figuring out ride fare, how much you'll need to load onto the TAP card to cover your round-trips back and forth from your destinations (TAP cards are much easier to use than carrying exact change all the time for each ride), and which stops you'll need to get off of. 

Extra tidbits:
For a Metro destination guide (attractions at the different stops along the various stations for the Metro Rail):

Hope that helps, and good luck!  ^__^d
Thanks for all he information it will help me out a lot.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2015, 11:19:40 PM »
Thanks for all he information it will help me out a lot.

Glad that I could help!  Definitely take some time to look through the Metro website as well.  It has a lot of information, including route time tables, maps, and FAQs. 

^__^d
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline mdla

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 171
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2015, 11:21:16 AM »
I know there's a metro stop in Anaheim but as I recall its not really near the Anaheim Convention Center.  If you were thinking of taking public transportation, I might suggest taking Amtrak from Union Station down to Anaheim, which lets off at Angel Stadium (about 1-2 miles from the convention center), and uber from there

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2015, 01:13:59 PM »
I know there's a metro stop in Anaheim but as I recall its not really near the Anaheim Convention Center.  If you were thinking of taking public transportation, I might suggest taking Amtrak from Union Station down to Anaheim, which lets off at Angel Stadium (about 1-2 miles from the convention center), and uber from there

You can also take the ART (Anaheim Resort Transit) bus from a hotel near the Amtrak station.  It will take you straight to the Anaheim Convention Center.

Here's a quick travel guide.  Click on the spoiler tag to reveal the text.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Hope that helps!  ^__^d

EDIT:
Please note that WonderCon 2016 will be held at the Los Angeles Convention Center.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 05:17:33 PM by Zero »

Offline dolphina

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2015, 04:17:03 PM »
Just took the metrolink from Rancho California to Union Station then caught the RED LINE to the BLUE LINE to Pico Station where I got off to attend Comikazi at the LA Convention Center, where Wondercon will be in 2016.