Author Topic: Tips/Advice for First Timers and Veterans  (Read 245433 times)

Offline mgeo

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
Re: TIPS/Advice for First Timers List
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2012, 09:53:51 AM »
I'll reinforce the "bring cash" advice.

Last year on opening day I hoped I could use the PayPal app on my smartphone to make my artist alley and designer toy purchases. However, I couldn't get an adequate signal to connect to PayPal. Furthermore, a couple of the toy vendors who had their own iphone credit card swipers couldn't connect either. My only payment option turned out to be cash.

Unfortunately, my first stop of the day had been the 2012 pre-registration. While credit cards were accepted, I only learned after I arrived that Discover--the only credit card I brought--was not accepted. Before I had even entered the exhibition floor I had spent 80% of the cash I had brought for the day.

Ultimately my cash shortage prevented me from picking up a couple of the limited edition vinyl toys I wanted.

What I learned is not to assume alternate payment methods will be available or acceptable.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 06:36:47 PM »
I carry cash in two places, $20-30 bucks in my pocket & the rest *deep* in my backpack with my plastic & ID.

Also, bring small bills- fives, tens & twenty's.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: Tips/Advice for First Timers and Veterans
« Reply #17 on: Today at 04:40:33 PM »

Offline tehlilone

• Ballroom 20
  • It's pronounced "the lil one" ^_^
  • Liked: 185
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2012, 11:37:02 AM »
Other ATMs For those that didn't know there's a San Diego County Credit Union ATM outside of the convention center in the Gaslamp at 4th and Market right next to the Hooters. This ATM and the one at 7-11 on 9th and J are surcharge-free for CO-OP Network accounts (most credit unions are part of CO-OP). They're both relatively close and I doubt there will be as many people at these ATMs. I recommend going to these ATMs especially if you're checking out the Gaslamp area activities and/or getting food.

Portable Chair Also, I highly recommend getting a You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. You can actually find them in many stores like Wal-Mart, Target, Bed Bath & Beyond for $9.99. It's cheaper than other small chairs and very portable. We keep one in our car so we always have it when we go to conventions/signings/release events. There are also some that are a few dollars more but supposedly better made but I've never tried them so I wouldn't know. We have 2 that work perfectly fine but I've read that some people broke theirs. so get what works best for you!

Offline Jay Justice

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2012, 10:24:27 PM »
This is a great thread, really useful. I've been to several comic cons on the east coast like Dragon*Con and New York Comic Con, this year will be my first time attending SDCC. It's smart to bring something to sit on for the long lines. Reading the reviews for that pocket chair were pure comedy though. I'm disabled so I usually have a cane with a seat attached or something of that nature, but with so many negative reviews you'd have to be crazy to buy that Pocket Chair!! LOL people are so disgusted they are just cutting up on Amazon.com You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2012, 03:45:14 PM »
A friend of mine, Rachel S. Bueno took this picture at the Town & Country Badge pick up on Wednesday.  I was in that line, iirc, it took 3 hours to get my badge.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I'm posting this so people understand what the lines will look like-
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline tehlilone

• Ballroom 20
  • It's pronounced "the lil one" ^_^
  • Liked: 185
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2012, 09:53:24 PM »
This is a great thread, really useful. I've been to several comic cons on the east coast like Dragon*Con and New York Comic Con, this year will be my first time attending SDCC. It's smart to bring something to sit on for the long lines. Reading the reviews for that pocket chair were pure comedy though. I'm disabled so I usually have a cane with a seat attached or something of that nature, but with so many negative reviews you'd have to be crazy to buy that Pocket Chair!! LOL people are so disgusted they are just cutting up on Amazon.com You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Yeah it's definitely not something for everyone. We bought 1 to try it out since it's only $10 and it works perfectly. The lock stays in place and it's pretty sturdy. I admit that if you sit on it crooked you could fall over but we haven't had issues. It hasn't broken and we've been to several things (2 conventions & random events where we had to line up). Then again I'm 5' and my boyfriend is 5' 8.5" plus we don't weigh as much as some of the people writing the reviews.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2012, 08:21:09 AM »
I'm using a RIFD wallet this year

an extra bag for purchases (a lite weight reusable type)

This one is critical for me, multiple pairs of shoes at the hotel, enough so I don't have to ware the same pair of shoes two days in a row.  last year i brought 2 pairs of sneakers & a pair of keen sandals.  this year i might even put a pair of shoes in my car for a mid day change up.

Offline Spiderdan

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2012, 08:38:30 AM »
Great list!  I'm a first timer this year and so excited I have no idea how I'm going to wait until July!

Offline Musica1

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2012, 12:26:56 AM »
I would add that you should buy a good lanyard with a hook on the end and bring it with you.  Sometimes comic-con issues clip on lanyards and you can lose your badge in a a crowd even if no one is trying to steal it. (This happened to my daughter.)

This is a sample of themkind you would want to bring:

Offline Trev

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 33
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2012, 08:14:49 AM »
You should also pick up one of those RFID cases for credit cards. Two weeks after Comic Con I had purchases on a credit card I didn't make, and the card was still in my possesion. I can't say for sure the theft of my numbers happened at CC, but it's the most likely place.

I think there are people floating around intercepting cards as they are transmitted. There's that new squareup device that works with iphones and i think it may not be very secure -- or other cheap and easy pay sites that dealers use. Last year I had the same experience. Bought some books that were kind of expensive from a dealer and paid with my credit card. 2 weeks later, my card issuer called me to see if I was in Brazil bec. someone had used my card to try and buy some expensive stuff.

Or maybe the dealer stole my number and sold it -- unclear but I hope not. Wasn't a dealer I'd ever seen before.

Had to get a new card issued. Total pain in the ass.

I would say use cash or see if the dealer will take paypal -- especially if they don't have a traditional credit card terminal. Some guys are still doing old school manual transactions or using new fangled and perhaps less secure methods. Card numbers being transmitted in the air have the possibility of being intercepted fairly easily by people who know what they are doing. And SDCC would be a prime spot for those folks.

Offline Trev

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 33
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2012, 08:36:31 AM »
Ralph's Ralph's Ralphs.

For those not from the area, Ralph's is a super market chain in California. There's one 3 or 4 blocks from the convention center and it's my first stop almost every year. I get water, a big bag of nuts (I like Diamond Smokehouse Almonds right now) and whatever i forgot to bring (usually sunscreen). It's priced like any other super market so very reasonable compared to the con area and is excellent for incidentals, snacks, or even lunch. Plus it's an easy location to meet at if people aren't near the con becaus it tends to be about equidistant to wherever folks happen to be.

Offline calgirl

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2012, 06:34:35 PM »
Hi it will be my 1st year attending SDCC, I was lucky to get a 4 day with preview (still no email yet as of 6:31 PM PST...should I be worried ?).
1) My question is how should I mange getting to all the panels that I want to attend. Any advice would be great.

2) Should I just use the preview day to view all the vendors & than buy stuff on Sunday.

Offline lovelywanderer

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2012, 08:01:48 PM »
Hello,
This will also be my first SDCC!!  I'm so so excited.  I only got Thursday and Sunday, but I'm hoping to make the most of it.  Can anyone let me know how we go about actually getting our badges?  When do they typically allow people to pick them up? 

Thanks for any and all info!

Offline Car_Low

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 610
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2012, 11:37:21 PM »
Hello,
This will also be my first SDCC!!  I'm so so excited.  I only got Thursday and Sunday, but I'm hoping to make the most of it.  Can anyone let me know how we go about actually getting our badges?  When do they typically allow people to pick them up? 

Thanks for any and all info!

A good rule of thumb is always check the website first..... You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Car_Low

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 610
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2012, 11:40:36 PM »
Hi it will be my 1st year attending SDCC, I was lucky to get a 4 day with preview (still no email yet as of 6:31 PM PST...should I be worried ?).
1) My question is how should I mange getting to all the panels that I want to attend. Any advice would be great.

2) Should I just use the preview day to view all the vendors & than buy stuff on Sunday.

1)A general rule is be in line 3+ hours before the panel. Keep in mind the size of the room and popularity of the panel as this will increase the wait time.

2)Buy what you really want at PV night as it will mostly likely be sold out sunday.  Buy things you can do without sunday as some vendors will put discounts on items so they don't have to carry it back.