Author Topic: The business of comics  (Read 25721 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
Re: The business of comics
« Reply #105 on: March 26, 2021, 07:24:14 PM »
wow, that's a shake up. Penguin elbowed out Diamond in both dc and marvel??

how is this going to work?
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Pyramid

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Comic Con is a Black Hole for my wallet.
  • Liked: 549
« Reply #106 on: March 28, 2021, 09:56:28 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
wow, that's a shake up. Penguin elbowed out Diamond in both dc and marvel??

how is this going to work?

I, for one am, glad.  I HATE Diamond.  Comics were always dinged up.  Plus how they treated the stores is atrocious.  Penguin has been around forever.  I also think this will mean that Penguin will be able to distribute outside of LCSs boosting sales and product lines.
Twitter feed:  wes@comicconster

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #107 on: Today at 10:25:58 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #107 on: March 28, 2021, 11:13:25 AM »
I, for one am, glad.  I HATE Diamond.  Comics were always dinged up.  Plus how they treated the stores is atrocious.  Penguin has been around forever.  I also think this will mean that Penguin will be able to distribute outside of LCSs boosting sales and product lines.

Yeah, most of the stores I've bern to talk a lot about late/incorrect shipments.

Offline Louie_rob_m

• Hall H
  • Liked: 364
« Reply #108 on: March 29, 2021, 10:25:57 PM »
I'm happy to see the Diamond monopoly go down, it's been choking the industry for far too long.  I think it's going to be a great thing for the industry and will hopefully create new distribution channels to get comics into the hands of many more readers

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #109 on: March 30, 2021, 06:56:33 PM »

We're excited to bring six new hires onto the IDW Publishing team.

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #110 on: May 21, 2021, 01:36:47 PM »

Want an easy way to order from your local comic shop? Looking to subscribe to and manage monthly titles? Sign up now for PREVIEWSworld PULLBOX!

PREVIEWSworld PULLBOX is a new online program that lets you subscribe to comic book titles, preorder from the latest PREVIEWS catalog, and order any item available—all from your local comic shop!

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #111 on: September 01, 2021, 06:00:51 PM »

A major update to Amazon's Comixology app will be rolling out this fall - one which will further integrate the comics reading platform with the main Amazon site. According to an email to users from Comixology co-founder/CEO David Steinberger (who is also Amazon's head of comics worldwide), these are "important changes" - some of which are in response to customer demand.

The biggest change will be a complete integration of Comixology into Amazon in terms of purchases and the platform. When the Comixology app update rolls out, Steinberger says the Comixology.com homepage will be redirected to an Amazon.com section - so no more Comixology.com.

While previously you could visit Comixology.com directly or peruse its collection through Amazon (and its app), once the app update comes through browser users' only option will be through Amazon.com. All Comixology users will be required to merge their accounts with an Amazon account - something it has been recommending (but not requiring) for the past few years.

This is part of what Steinberger calls a "revamped digital comics shopping experience," and appears similar to how people who visit Kindle.com are redirected to a section of Amazon.com.

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #112 on: September 26, 2021, 12:26:09 PM »
From You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Disney’s Marvel unit is suing to hold on to full control of Avengers characters including Iron Man, Spider-Man, Dr. Strange, Ant-Man, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Falcon, Thor and others.

The complaints, which The Hollywood Reporter has obtained, come against the heirs of some late comic book geniuses including Stan Lee, Steve Ditko and Gene Colan. The suits seek declaratory relief that these blockbuster characters are ineligible for copyright termination as works made for hire. If Marvel loses, Disney would have to share ownership of characters worth billions.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #113 on: September 26, 2021, 08:27:55 PM »
The dirty, awful side of the business of comics  >:(

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #114 on: September 26, 2021, 10:12:03 PM »

This was discussed at SAM.  Artists have been successful reclaiming rights to their work that they sold decades ago.

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #115 on: December 21, 2021, 08:49:52 AM »

Embracer Group AB (“Embracer”) has today entered into an agreement to acquire Dark Horse Media, LLC (“Dark Horse”), a leading entertainment company. Post-closing, Dark Horse will become the tenth operative group of the Embracer group. Through the acquisition, Embracer strengthens its transmedia capabilities by adding expertise in content development, comics publishing, and film & TV production. Dark Horse owns or controls more than 300 intellectual properties, many of which are attractive for future transmedia exploitation, including the creation of new video games. Dark Horse founder and CEO Mike Richardson will continue to lead the company together with existing management.

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #116 on: January 22, 2022, 12:24:41 AM »

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #117 on: February 01, 2022, 10:55:58 PM »

Today, Diamond Comic Distributors officially celebrates its 40th anniversary, a milestone in the evolution of the company.

On February 1 of 1982, President and CEO, Steve Geppi, transitioned from local retailer to comic book distributor with one warehouse and seventeen customers. Forty years later, Diamond has grown into the largest distributor of English-language comic books, graphic novels, and related pop culture merchandise worldwide.

Geppi’s accomplishments don’t stop with Diamond. Over the last forty years he has built an impressive network of pop culture related companies and brands under the name, Geppi Family Enterprises (GFE). Together, these companies position GFE as a leader in the wholesale distribution, licensing, publishing, grading, and preservation of comics, games, toys, and collectibles.

“None of this would have been possible without our customers, our vendors and of course our incredible employees,” said Geppi. “I am deeply grateful for the commitment to excellence and the dedication my teams bring to what they do every day. The fact that we are marking Diamond’s 40th anniversary today is a tribute to their hard work and gives us all reason to celebrate!”

From the beginning, Diamond has been dedicated to the specialized needs of the Direct Market and focused on continuous improvement. Whether it’s launching a new platform like PULLBOX that enables fans to manage subscriptions and order product for pick-up from their local comic shop, improving shipping boxes, providing new promotional opportunities for publishers, or supporting fan engagement through events like Free Comic Book Day, Diamond lives and breathes this industry.

“I am extremely proud of the important and proactive role Diamond and Geppi Family Enterprises have played and continues to play in this wonderful and dynamic industry,” says Chuck Parker, President of Diamond Comic Distributors. “When Steve launched Diamond 40 years ago, his vision was to create a company that was a true partner to customers and suppliers, as well as a place employees would be proud to work. I have been with Diamond for almost 37 years and while I have seen many changes in our industry, Diamond has stayed true to that vision.”

In addition to celebrating 40 years of service, Diamond is marking a few other key milestones this year. PREVIEWS, the definitive print source for upcoming comic books, graphic novels, toys, games, and more, premiered its 400th issue in January. This year also marks the 25th anniversary of Diamond’s dedicated customer service team and 20 years in Diamond’s consolidated inventory and shipping hub located in and around Olive Branch, MS.

Diamond plans to keep the celebration going all year long. Consumers and retailers can expect to see 40th Anniversary PREVIEWS Exclusives featuring commemorative logo stickers on the packaging, 40 weeks of special deals, commemorative ads inside PREVIEWS, a new look for the Diamondcomics.com homepage and more.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 10:59:10 PM by AzT »

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #118 on: March 30, 2023, 05:19:35 PM »

Amazon Studios has signed an exclusive first-look deal with former Marvel Editor-In-Chief Joe Quesada. Under the deal, Quesada will be developing series and films for Prime Video, focusing on adapting existing and new comic book IP.

“I can’t begin to express just how thrilled I am to be joining the Amazon Studios family. From the moment Nick Pepper, Matt King, and the team approached me, it was clear we spoke the same language and shared the same creative goals. What was also clear is that they’re creating a collaborative environment and unique methodology that I’m surprised no one has yet thought to implement, but I’m certain will be quickly imitated,” said Quesada in a statement.

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #119 on: April 27, 2023, 03:25:07 PM »

LOS ANGELES, CA and NEWARK, NJ / April 27, 2023 / IDW Media Holdings, Inc., (the “Company” or “IDW”) (NYSE American:IDW), an integrated media company, today announced a series of significant moves in response to operational challenges to position the Company for recovery and future growth.

IDW’s Board of Directors has determined to implement a reduction of force, deregister the Company’s Class B common stock under the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, delist the Class B common stock from the NYSE American, make changes in senior management, and implement cost cutting measures.