Author Topic: Marvel: Universe of Super Heroes at the Franklin Institute, Philadelphia  (Read 1345 times)

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
So, I hit this today w/a few folks, and it was *awesome*! It was a walkthrough of a ton of Marvel stuff ranging from original art, to movie props, to information on how comics were created, different methodologies, characters, pretty much the entirety of Marvel in the past 80 years (with a bit of emphasis on the current common stuff between the comics and the MCU I believe).

It was done in a gallery format that started with a 5 minute video on how Marvel began, and then a walkthrough of the entire exhibit that took me about 90+ minutes.  It would have taken longer but there was *tons* of people there today.  It was *very* cool to read not just the movie stuff but the literal *ton* of comic material, original pages/art and a number of *very* expensive books (Marvel Comics #1, Fantastic Four #1, etc.).  They tied in everything, even old TV properties like The Incredible Hulk w/Bill Bixby! (check out the movie I took of the opening).

I took a boatload of pictures and I hope they came out ok.  You can check them out here (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login)

« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 03:56:53 PM by Michael M »
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
That looks like a lot of fun! Love the pictures!

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline mllNY

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1089
[member=2539]Michael M[/member] I'm actually going this Sunday! Looking forward to it
2023 Cons: Five Points Festival, SDCC, Toy Fair, NYCC, IX, PAX Unplugged

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • LinkedIn
If I didn't have my monthly D&D game I'd meet you there as I'm considering going through it again.  The original page artwork is phenomenal.  Enjoy!

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
So, I hit this today w/a few folks, and it was *awesome*! It was a walkthrough of a ton of Marvel stuff ranging from original art, to movie props, to information on how comics were created, different methodologies, characters, pretty much the entirety of Marvel in the past 80 years (with a bit of emphasis on the current common stuff between the comics and the MCU I believe).

It was done in a gallery format that started with a 5 minute video on how Marvel began, and then a walkthrough of the entire exhibit that took me about 90+ minutes.  It would have taken longer but there was *tons* of people there today.  It was *very* cool to read not just the movie stuff but the literal *ton* of comic material, original pages/art and a number of *very* expensive books (Marvel Comics #1, Fantastic Four #1, etc.).  They tied in everything, even old TV properties like The Incredible Hulk w/Bill Bixby! (check out the movie I took of the opening).

I took a boatload of pictures and I hope they came out ok.  You can check them out here (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login)

Great photos! Thanks for sharing with us! Looks very cool.

It's too bad this is a limited run exhibit.  There's no way I'll be on the East Coast any time soon, ha ha! (Unless they plan on moving it around the U.S.?)

For more info, if others want to check it out, here's the website: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • LinkedIn
I saw that it's in the Seattle Museum of Pop Culture as well for West Coast folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I saw that it's in the Seattle Museum of Pop Culture as well for West Coast folks.

The Seattle exhibit closed on MArch 3, 2019. I suspect that it is the exact same exhibit that traveled to Philadelphia. ;)

This being said, MoPop in Seattle is well worth a visit.

Offline mllNY

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
[member=2539]Michael M[/member]  so apparently we are looking to do the evening (5-8pm) slot

Offline mllNY

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
I went to this this past Sunday and have to mirror what [member=2539]Michael M[/member] said. Really interesting to see everything. They did a great job mixing MCU and Comics and blending them together.  I really enjoyed seeing the original art and what was really interesting to me was how crisp some of the originals were, some of them are already 50-60 years old but look so vibrant.  I also enjoyed seeing artists names (new and old) that worked with Marvel.

They even go into the process of turning ides into comics which was cool

I spent just about 90 minutes and was OK with that. You could spend a lot longer if you wanted to take the time to read every detail but I didn't feel like I rushed through the exhibit either.