Author Topic: Pandas are leaving San Diego in a month.  (Read 2684 times)

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
Pandas are leaving San Diego in a month.
« on: March 25, 2019, 06:24:27 PM »
If you have never seen Pandas and always wanted to, the Pandas are leaving the San Diego Zoo in a month.  It's a bit of a drive from Anaheim but if you have time, the desire and don't live close to other Pandas then this is your chance.

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
Re: Pandas are leaving San Diego in a month.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 07:46:37 PM »
I'm soooooo sad about this!!  I hope they don't pull the pandas from all the US zoos.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 12:07:28 PM »

Offline Car_Low

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 610
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 09:58:29 PM »
Its because the deal with China and San Diego specifically expired the other ones are good for now. Last day of public viewing is April 27.

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 08:00:43 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Its because the deal with China and San Diego specifically expired the other ones are good for now. Last day of public viewing is April 27.

That's good to know :)

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 11:48:46 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

It's because San Diego was first.  The other zoos' agreements will also expire unless their 10 year loan period is renewed.  I think the national zoo is good until 2025.  The fact that San Diego couldn't negotiate a renewal doesn't bode well for the other zoos.

Offline rodneytfreeman

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 69
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 11:01:01 AM »
This is sad news. I have seen them a couple times. Most recently, with 15 guys in their 20's during a Bachelor Party weekend. It was a good time. Everyone can appreciate seeing pandas.
SDCC: 2016, 2019, 2020

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2019, 06:46:06 PM »
We had the Pandas for 20ish years, per the long-term agreement.  San Diego Zoo was able to successfully breed many Pandas in that time, and had an integral role in breeding enough Pandas to get them moved from "endangered" species to "vulnerable." 
I'm definitely bummed to see them go, but over the last two decades I've spent a LOT of time watching those goofballs. 
Also, given how amazing the latest 'updates' to The Zoo have been, I have every confidence that if the Zoo replaces the Panda exhibit (I hear they're going to at least keep some offices and research center to shift into a different phase of working to preserve pandas) it will be w/something awesome!

Kinda sad, but I think the city, zoo, China, and the species have all benefited likely more than anyone imagined

Offline susanml10881

• Hall H
  • Liked: 152
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 07:22:45 AM »
Yeah, not good for the zoo visitors or locals per se but it means the zoo was successful in its breeding and conservation so good for pandas in general. The line was long last time I went like almost two hours. I have a membership card. It will be ridiculous now though