Author Topic: Book of Boba Fett ***Spoilers***  (Read 2879 times)

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
Book of Boba Fett ***Spoilers***
« on: December 31, 2021, 09:08:33 PM »
Book 1 of spoilers go here.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Re: Book of Boba Fett ***Spoilers***
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2022, 09:08:57 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Book 1 of spoilers go here.
So far... I'm a bit worried.  While I won't argue about story details (I know I'm maybe not in the majority of fans wo absolutely don't need to know any details about Boba Fett's history or how he lived after the Sarlacc pit incident), I am concerned about the acting.  Temuera Morrison hasn't shown me yet that he can carry a series as the main actor, and the first ep. didn't help.  He just doesn't have the kind of presence that is necessary to hold long stretches of drama/non-action.  I had similar concerns about Gina Carano when she was on the verge of being the star of a New Republic series.  Neither actor is _bad_, per say, but there's likely a reason why they haven't really starred in a major film or series where they had to do the 'heavy lifting' dramatically.
That being said, Ming-Na Wen IS a good actor and hopefully she 1) gets more to do than she has so far in this world (including The Mandalorian) and 2) the writers quickly figure out/define what her fighting "role" is.  She broadly seems like how the MCU defined Scarlet Witch's powers for a lot of her time: as needed to fit a dramatic moment.  We don't really know how bad ass Fennec is, how vulnerable she is, etc. and even in this first ep if felt uneven. 

That all being said, the creatives behind the scenes have more than proven they know how to construct a compelling SW series/narrative/characters.  Before Disney bought Lucasfilm they were developing a "gangster/underworld" type of series and it feels like this can easily slip into that mold in an awesome way.  I do hope that what I thought was a weak Chapter 1/pilot episode had more to do with trying to set up the character and now we can move on to a better gangster/western story.  The idea of a pseudo-UNFORGIVEN story about an old-timer bounty hunter looking to re-establish himself as boss while striving to turn away from the violence of his past; that + dealing with the gangster side of the galaxy could make for a really cool series, and we know Favreau & Filoni know how to craft good series, so I'm hoping this will work itself out sooner than later!

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 03:11:31 PM »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 08:12:20 AM »
I thought it'd be fair for me to post that most of my 'concerns' after the 1st episode were put to rest after the 2nd ep.  Really great job fleshing out the Tuskan Raiders and starting to set up the gangster stuff: and with a few deep-cut SW easter eggs thrown in for fun (hello Camie, Luke's only-known-canon-crush-who-wasn't-a-blood-relative but was also cut from the original A NEW HOPE)!  I never knew how much I wanted to see a series about the Tuskan Raider culture until that episode, and I look forward to seeing where this show goes next. 

The best thing about this series dropping new eps on Wednesdays is it makes Monday mornings a LOT more bearable knowing I only have a couple days until a new ep!

Offline Old Man Grey

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 258
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2022, 09:53:34 AM »
I think your concerns about Morrisons acting are valid. He's very weak and not very charismatic. Plus, I think he is too old for the part. I have to say this show is a disappointment after the " Mandalorian". Now we get kids on scooters. I'm watching but I'm losing hope.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2022, 11:24:36 AM »
I think your concerns about Morrisons acting are valid. He's very weak and not very charismatic. Plus, I think he is too old for the part. I have to say this show is a disappointment after the " Mandalorian". Now we get kids on scooters. I'm watching but I'm losing hope.
I haven't seen Ep 4 yet, but Ep 3 was definitely a step down from Ep 2.  The show does action pretty well, but feels like it doesn't know exactly what it wants to do/where it wants to go narratively yet.  "Mandalorian" was a show that came out of the gate with what felt like an obvious overall story (even with some 'diversion' standalone episodes), where as after at least the first 3 eps "Book of Boba Fett" feels like a lot of "lets throw everything on a board and see what sticks."  I didn't want the latest yet, but it wasn't because I was super busy, or forgot, or didn't have the opportunity: I just wasn't really in the mood for it.
Conversely, I legit may sneak out of work slightly early this afternoon just so I can see ep. 4 of "The Peacemaker" ASAP to take part in the convos with friends.

I don't mind the silly things in this series, like the mod scooter kids that a lot of people have problems with.  It feels silly, but feels like something Lucas would've done.  I'm more concerned with the story structure and suspect acting.  Like, it feels like it would've been soooo easy if Fett had the 'hero turn' in order to honor/better serve the Tuskan Raiders he bonded with, but I'm not sure that's where the writers are headed.

I've heard a rumor that this series was originally six eps, and Disney 'requested' an additional so they culled deleted footage and whatnot to create a seventh episode.  I wonder if that is part of the narrative/flow problem.

IDK; I don't expect all Star Wars to be as well done as "The Mandalorian," and I don't think this one is quite on the _bad_ level at this point.  So far, at best, it's uneven: episode 2 was flat-out great IMO, and the action scenes feel really well done/a strength of the series so far.  Maybe they'll wrap-up the flashbacks soon and get to a cohesive/ongoing narrative (with maybe a Timothy Olyphant appearance: please?! I mean, they _HAVE_ to address how he could make off with Fett's armor and not be hunted down/killed, right?!?!?!?!)

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 09:36:26 PM »

That chase scene was weird.  As in it looked like what I would expect someone making a fan film at home would do.  The effects looked so home made.  Actually I think people doing effects at home look better.  It was just so floaty.  I have to assume they intended it to look that way.  What I don't get is why?  Did they intentionally want it to be campy?

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2022, 10:13:20 AM »
OK, after 4 episodes, the halfway point, I'm pretty meh on this series.  BUT, like I said earlier, I'm not really upset, or super down on it: I don't think this is a "bad" series.  Once again, I think focusing on action set pieces is a strong point, but when Temuera Morrison is carrying the dramatic weight it doesn't resonate for me.  Ming-Na Wen is solid, however, and the e4 focus on her went a long way for me (I turned to my wife watching it yesterday and said something like "Ming-Na Wen ass-kicking is what this series has been lacking!").  Through four episodes it feels like:
1) the series is taking the SOLO route of explaining stuff that no one asked for/needed explaining
2) the story focus still doesn't make sense yet

BUT...
I do think now that the flashbacks have mostly caught us up the series can focus the band end of the season on Fett's seeming crime 'war' and its plausible the season will end strong.  We've seen some legit great stuff via flashbacks (can't stress enough that maybe this whole Season 1 is worth it for fleshing out Tuskan Raiders alone!), but a lot feels a bit meandering, and slightly jumbled with the 'current events' story.  I still have no idea why Fett seems to have a blood feud vs Bib Fortuna (even Fennec seemed to question why he couldn't just talk to Bib to get his ship back to a broad, brooding answer that didn't make a ton of sense other than "we need a bad ass set piece to break it out!").  "Book of Boba Fett" feels like the kind of EU novel or comic series that would have lost my interest quickly.

I think there's enough to like about this series, and to be blunt "The Mandalorian" is a legit gem that is better than most series out there, SW or otherwise: comparing Fett to Mandalorian feels like it'd always be a futile gesture.  I'm intrigued that Black Krrsantan is still hanging out/featured so I have to imagine he'll play more into the season climax (which makes me VERY happy - his stuff in e4 made me lol).  Black Krrsantan is an actor in a wookie suit, all practical, which makes me think he'll be a featured character throughout!

POST-SCRIPT
I was watching A NEW HOPE over the weekend for, like, the billionth time and it's awesome how much the Tuskan Raiders have been fleshed out from their really brief screen time: and that film has the most Raider screen time of any of the nine (11 counting ROGUE ONE and SOLO)! 
Also I was bummed at the thought that BITD they legit put a costume over an elephant for the Bantha, and nowadays it's just CGI: yea for the actors who don't have to worry about elephant-riding, but (ever so slight) bummer for those who loved the practical effects of the original flims

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2022, 12:17:23 AM »
What a surprise episode this week!  It was a break from the Book of Boba Fett with the Mandalorian back.  The episode was so different from the rest of the season.  How can the the same people be making both series?  I hope this marks the end of the first half of the season and sets the tone for the second half.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2022, 08:13:45 AM »
What a surprise episode this week!  It was a break from the Book of Boba Fett with the Mandalorian back.  The episode was so different from the rest of the season.  How can the the same people be making both series?  I hope this marks the end of the first half of the season and sets the tone for the second half.
Bryce Dallas Howard, director of ep3, the Bo-Katan S2 ep & "Sanctuary" S1 ep of 'The Mandalorian,' sure has seemingly earned the right to direct whatever movie she wants within the SW universe, huh!  I'll be curious to see if Din Djarin plays a central role for the last two episodes: kinda want to see Din, Fett, Fennec, & Black Krrsantan teaming up to go to gang war!

I agree about the unevenness of this series so far.  All of the eps have been written by Favreau, and while I think Robert Rodriguez as a director is inconsistent, I don't think the issues with this series fall at the feet of the director.  I think the season has not been great trying to tell two parallel stories of past/present: struggling to find the balance & a good foothold on what they want to say about the main character.  It's already been said, but hopefully we've mostly seen the end of significant flashbacks and we'll start focusing on the main story
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 08:23:34 AM by perc2100 »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2022, 06:44:43 PM »
I'll be curious to see if Din Djarin plays a central role for the last two episodes:

I think he will.  I think I see the pattern here.  Just like the last episodes of season 2 of the Mandalorian led to the Book of Boba Fett, I think the last episodes of Boba Fett will segue into season 3 of the Mandalorian.

Offline tsnyder

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 295
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2022, 07:49:31 AM »
After that last amazing episode I'm now of the opinion they would have gotten more with less.   I'm with Perc and just don't feel Morrison is doing it justice.  Fett should be masked up and talking as little as possible.  I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy the second half of the season much more with the compilation of characters now assembled.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2022, 09:30:34 AM »
After that last amazing episode I'm now of the opinion they would have gotten more with less.   I'm with Perc and just don't feel Morrison is doing it justice.  Fett should be masked up and talking as little as possible.  I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy the second half of the season much more with the compilation of characters now assembled.
And the biggest bummer is IIRC there are now only two episodes left in this season :-X

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2022, 09:27:54 PM »
Another good episode.  But another one in which a more fitting title for the show would be "The Book w/o Boba Fett".  At least he got a cameo this week.  CGI Luke is much better than he was in the Mandalorian.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2022, 09:03:55 AM »
Another good episode.  But another one in which a more fitting title for the show would be "The Book w/o Boba Fett".  At least he got a cameo this week.  CGI Luke is much better than he was in the Mandalorian.
I was joking that the last two eps had 0 Boba Fett (technically he was in a scene w/out dialogue in the recent ep), and 0 Books leaving us with 1) missing out on 1/3rd screen time in the series, which is kinda correlating w/his screentime in the films in a "less is more" type of way and 2) with a series that could ultimately be titled "Of The"  :P

Also, I think it's obvious that Lucasfilm is approaching their Disney+ (and maybe films: we haven't seen any post-Skywalker films yet) like Marvel Studios where everything is interconnected and bleads into all the series.  I'm totally fine with "The Book of Boba Fett" crossing over with "The Mandalorian" as well as eventually "Ashoka" and whatever else.  I am a bit bummed that it felt to me like too much of the first 4 episodes felt meandering.  There were definitely some great aspects (again, I loved the Tuskan Raider developments as both Fett character building as well as world-building) but it's felt like there wasn't much of a reason to have this series beyond exploiting IP.  Now that their main story feels like it's coming together, as a pseudo-western version of The Godfather/mob warfare, I'm here for it: this is exactly what I'd hoped/figured this series would be for the most part and I'm hyped to see where it goes.

I'd been hoping we'd get Cobb Vanth back in the Fett series so that was fun: and they didn't quite shut the book on his character, leaving hope we'll be back down the road.  The side trip to Luke's crib was also fun, though felt a little bit like Lucasfilm thinking "will people be into this w/out Grogu? Maybe we just have him pop up in an ep. just to keep the cute-quotia up."  I think a fun discussion can come of Luke perpetuating the failed, archaic Jedi Order tenets (the "must maintain a detachment" stuff) that he kind of/sort of rejected in RETURN OF THE JEDI when he defied Yoda & Ben who quested him w/fighting Vader & he sensed good/hope in him and elected to NOT fight.  Having Ashoka hanging around, someone who absolutely experienced the failings of the old Jedi Order and could absolutely help guide Luke in re-establishing Jedi training into a new way, is an interesting choice (one that likely is more of a "remember that she's around, and also has a series coming out down the road!" thing.
Cade Bane popping up as a significant nemesis near the end, however, was relatively unexpected!  When the showed his foot, and then the shape from a distance, I literally said aloud "no freaking way!" right before the dopey fan "GASP!" of Cad Bane's reveal: rendered so well in the physical world (and I'm still not 100% sure if that was CGI, practical makeup, or a combination of the two)!

NONE of the above is a negative, mind you.  While I can't think of many/any other series that decided to completely ditch the title character for several episodes entertainment is entertainment.  This has been done well, and looked at in the totality of it all (this series seemingly being "The Mandalorian Season 2.5" sort of similar to Captain America's 3rd film being AVENGERS 2.5) similar to the 20+ Marvel films and series of interconnectivity, it's all good.  I've prepped myself for the inevitability that this season won't have much of a conclusion next week, and will likely pick up in Mando season 3 (or Ashoka season 1; or somewhere else).  Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni has shown they can expertly run a SW series or two, so I have faith in them and look forward to see where this is all headed!

*Re: CGI Luke*
DEFINITELY a huge improvement over last season's Mando appearance!  The dialogue still seemed a bit wonky, and didn't quite always lineup with the lips, but such a good job from ILM!!  I really wonder what the budget for that episode was (I've read the average budget for "The Mandalorian" is $12.5 million, as well as the figure "$15m an episode" quoted, but obviously some episodes are more than others to produce)  :o
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 12:05:45 PM by perc2100 »

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2022, 03:29:56 PM »
For those that haven't seen it yet, check out the latest Gallery episode on Disney+ for Mandalorian, and how it speaks to the S2 finale.  They go into detail the technology behind the scenes to do Luke's character, voice, and was a really cool episode to learn stuff.
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"