Author Topic: Post your questions about public transportation here  (Read 137512 times)

Offline beffyjo

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 13
Re: Post your questions about public transportation here
« Reply #135 on: May 13, 2014, 01:13:13 PM »
We're staying in San Diego from the 22nd to the 29th so I was looking at getting a Compass Pass for the week. Are the only places to get the actual card the Transit Store or Albertsons? And would it be best to buy a 4 day pass, then buy another 4 day pass? Or can you buy two 4-day passes at once to cover the whole week? Any insight is appreciated.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #136 on: May 13, 2014, 01:53:46 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
We're staying in San Diego from the 22nd to the 29th so I was looking at getting a Compass Pass for the week. Are the only places to get the actual card the Transit Store or Albertsons? And would it be best to buy a 4 day pass, then buy another 4 day pass? Or can you buy two 4-day passes at once to cover the whole week? Any insight is appreciated.

You can also purchase a Compass Card online: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Then click "Online."

You probably won't be able to purchase and thus overlap two 4-day regional passes on the Compass Card.  You would have to wait until the first 4-day pass has expired (the last day for the pass to be over).

Note that there's a $2.00 fee for the Compass Card, in addition to the fare that you would have to pay to charge the card.

Otherwise, if you want to keep the Compass Card for future years (the actual card itself is useable for five years), get the Compass Card and then reload it after the first 4-day regional pass expires.

Hope that helps! ^__^/
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 02:28:34 PM by Zero »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #137 on: Today at 10:20:38 AM »

Offline beffyjo

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #137 on: May 13, 2014, 02:12:46 PM »
Oh! I thought you had to buy the card to do the passes - I read something about paying $2 on the bus each time, but maybe that was just single day passes. I can just get the 4-day regional pass at any trolley ticket thing, correct?

blankpage

« Reply #138 on: May 13, 2014, 02:17:00 PM »
Zero - what great info! so can i buy that in advance? do i enter the dates i want a pass for, or does it start the moment i use it? how does that work - do you know? thanks!!

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #139 on: May 13, 2014, 02:33:32 PM »
Oh! I thought you had to buy the card to do the passes - I read something about paying $2 on the bus each time, but maybe that was just single day passes. I can just get the 4-day regional pass at any trolley ticket thing, correct?

Ah, yes, that is correct.  (I will edit that in my previous post.  Sorry about the confusion!)  You would need a Compass Card for regional passes, including the 4-day pass.  This means that you would have to pay the $2.00 fee plus the fare of the 4-day regional pass, but yes, you can buy it at one of the machines.

Zero - what great info! so can i buy that in advance? do i enter the dates i want a pass for, or does it start the moment i use it? how does that work - do you know? thanks!!

Click the link I provided above: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Click "Purchase a new card."
Click "Online" under "Adult Pass."

The website will show you the options you can select.

Hope that helps.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline beffyjo

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #140 on: May 13, 2014, 02:39:55 PM »
It does help, thank you for clarifying! We're flying in from Kansas City where there is a severe lack of public transportation options - the entire process is new to me! :)

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #141 on: May 13, 2014, 02:42:31 PM »
It does help, thank you for clarifying! We're flying in from Kansas City where there is a severe lack of public transportation options - the entire process is new to me! :)

You're welcome.  Glad that I could help!  Let us know in this thread if you have any more questions.  ^__~

Offline jagina

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #142 on: May 13, 2014, 03:05:41 PM »
I saw that last year their was a specific time and date.to get Comic-Con trolley passes does anyone know how that process works

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Offline karl clement

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 136
« Reply #143 on: May 13, 2014, 03:09:39 PM »
has anyone tried to reload there compass card they used the year before and how easy is it
SDCC 2013,2014,2015,2016
FanExpo  2011,2012, 2015
Montreal CC  2011, 2013
Ottawa CC 2013
Cornwall CAPE 2015, 2016

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #144 on: May 13, 2014, 03:18:27 PM »
has anyone tried to reload there compass card they used the year before and how easy is it

As long as you bought the Compass Card within five years, you should just be able to go up to one of the purchase/reload card machines and pay for the required fare.

You can also check on this website to make sure your card is still valid: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

From the S.D. MTS website: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
"How long do Compass Cards last?

With proper care, Compass Cards are designed to last up to five years. You can protect your card and the value of the pass loaded on it against theft, loss, or damage by registering your card."

Hope that helps!

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #145 on: May 13, 2014, 03:25:32 PM »
Sorry about the double post, everyone, but I figured it would be easier to separate it on this occasion, since it's a long reply.  ^__^;

I saw that last year their was a specific time and date.to get Comic-Con trolley passes does anyone know how that process works

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

They have a limited amount of special edition Comic-Con MTS trolley passes.

This page hasn't been updated yet for Comic-Con 2014, but here is the Comic-Con limited edition trolley pass information:

WARNING: THIS INFORMATION IS FROM COMIC-CON 2013 FOR REFERENCE ONLY!  (Provided for you for an example of how things might work for this year.)
Buy Your Trolley Day Pass

A one-way Trolley fare is $2.50, but if you are returning on the Trolley, remember to purchase your $5 Day Pass before boarding. This will help you avoid lines at the ticket booth and Ticket Vending Machines on your return trip. A day pass allows unlimited travel on MTS all day. For those attending more than one day, MTS Day Passes are available in denominations from 1 to 5 days. A multi-day pass is your most economical way to travel to Comic-Con!

Please note that all passes must be loaded onto a plastic Compass Card, which costs $2 to purchase if you do not already have one. Once you buy your Compass Card, hang on to it-your Compass Card can be reloaded and used for years.

This year, MTS is selling special commemorative Comic-Con day passes. These commemorative Comic-Con day passes do not require a Compass Card and can be purchased at select Trolley stations with ticket booth sales (see dates and times below). If you'd like to purchase a commemorative pass before July 17, you may do so at The Transit Store. You may also purchase regular 1—4 day passes from Ticket Vending Machines at Trolley stations. Ticket Vending Machines accept cash and credit/debit cards.

Commemorative day passes will be sold at select Trolley stations at the dates and times listed below. Sales will begin at the times listed and continue through late afternoon:

Wednesday, July 17, 2013
Old Town — 3 pm
Fashion Valley — 3:15 pm
Qualcomm — 3:30 pm
Gaslamp — 6 pm
Convention Center — 6 pm

Thursday, July 18, 2013
Old Town — 6:30 am
Fashion Valley — 7 am
Hazard Center — 7:15 am
Qualcomm — 6:30 am
Gaslamp — 2 pm
Convention Center — 2 pm

Friday, July 19, 2013
Fashion Valley — 7 am
Hazard Center — 7:15 am
Gaslamp — 2 pm
Convention Center — 2 pm

Saturday, July 20, 2013
Fashion Valley — 7 am
Hazard Center — 7 am
Gaslamp — 2 pm
Convention Center — 2 pm

Sunday, July 21, 2013
Fashion Valley — 7 am
Gaslamp — 12 pm
Convention Center — 12 pm

AGAIN, THIS INFORMATION WAS FROM 2013.  (Provided to give you a basic idea on how it works.)

Offline evanarose

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #146 on: May 30, 2014, 06:04:28 PM »
Just a message for those planning to leave san diego on the 27th for LA on the train, I'll book it now if you haven't already...
I just booked for my trip back and the best time was already sold out :( Well it's still available if you go for the unreserved seat option but for me that's difficult as I got alot of luggage. I'm guessing that it's probably likely the train will be full. But yeah, I heard you carry your luggage on the train right? If you have luggage to check in?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 06:11:29 PM by evanarose »

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #147 on: May 30, 2014, 06:22:27 PM »
Just a message for those planning to leave san diego on the 27th for LA on the train, I'll book it now if you haven't already...
I just booked for my trip back and the best time was already sold out :( Well it's still available if you go for the unreserved seat option but for me that's difficult as I got alot of luggage. I'm guessing that it's probably likely the train will be full. But yeah, I heard you carry your luggage on the train right? If you have luggage to check in?

Here's the information on Amtrak's baggage policy: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Carry-On Baggage
Each passenger can have a total of 2 carry-on bags, each not to exceed 50 lbs. (23 kg), 28 x 22 x 14 inches (700 x 550 x 350 millimeters).

More details about carry-on baggage: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Checked Baggage
Each passenger can check up to 4 bags - 2 free of charge and 2 for $20 per bag, each not to exceed 50 lbs. (23 kg), 75 linear inches (length + width + height).

More details about checked baggage: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Prohibited Items: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Hope that helps! ^__^

Offline evanarose

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #148 on: May 30, 2014, 06:38:02 PM »
Thank you! Yeah, I think my luggage will be borderline...not in weight but in size (maybe just a few cm more.) but then I read they are strict on it, so probably should check it in. Though after they check it, do they put it somewhere for storage or you hold it still? Couldn't find that information on the site. Anyway, I read they do luggage storage at San Diego Amtrak Station, but then I saw the ? and it says they do the 'left luggage' system like in europe. But what is that exactly? Is there a person minding them or its like lockers that you just put it in..

Because I was thinking if its a really secure system then maybe it works better to go to the station, comic con then back to the station. Although how far is the station from the convention centre? I'm guessing closer than my hotel which is seaworld area.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #149 on: May 30, 2014, 06:56:48 PM »
Thank you! Yeah, I think my luggage will be borderline...not in weight but in size (maybe just a few cm more.) but then I read they are strict on it, so probably should check it in. Though after they check it, do they put it somewhere for storage or you hold it still? Couldn't find that information on the site. Anyway, I read they do luggage storage at San Diego Amtrak Station, but then I saw the ? and it says they do the 'left luggage' system like in europe. But what is that exactly? Is there a person minding them or its like lockers that you just put it in..

Because I was thinking if its a really secure system then maybe it works better to go to the station, comic con then back to the station. Although how far is the station from the convention centre? I'm guessing closer than my hotel which is seaworld area.

The convention center is about five city blocks from the Amtrak station closest to it (the San Diego Amtrak station, or the three-letter code label as "SAN").  You can basically hop on a trolley--either the Green Line or the Special Red Line they usually do for Comic-Con--and get to the convention center that way.  It's not that far away.

Here's a map of it: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login!

The San Diego Amtrak Station doesn't have a baggage assistance service, but this is what they mean by "left luggage" storage:

It can either be a storage locker or someone watching everything in a certain area (like what hotel baggage claim does).

If you can, I also recommend calling the San Diego Amtrak train station to ask about details about their baggage policies:
(800) 872-7245

Hope that helps! ^__^