Author Topic: SDCC@Home Panels By The Numbers  (Read 4636 times)

Offline debster

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 569
Re: SDCC@Home Panels By The Numbers
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2020, 05:41:51 PM »
A couple of my friends never have the funds or time off work to go to Comic Con, so they were thrilled to find out that there were a bunch of panels online for them to watch for free. It made me happy because they always see me going to the con ever year and now they were able to see the panels for themselves. Hopefully they will continue to do this in some form.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2020, 05:44:39 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
My main takeaway is how many more people got to see the smaller panels at the tail end of the counts, many of these panels would have had 20, 50 people under normal circumstances. Plus, unlike the marquee panels, these don't tend to get press coverage or put online afterwards. Would be nice if CCI could make these available, categorize and promote them in the future.

That's a good point.  For small panels @home was a boon.  I think all the panels should have been put online all along.  They are officially recorded anyways, why not put them online?

Going forward I think that comic-con should always have a virtual component.  It's not going to cut into in person attendance.  It will open up comic-con to everyone that can't attend in person.  I don't see a downside.  Third parties already do this for the bigger panels.  CCI should do it for every panel.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 05:23:12 AM »

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2020, 10:27:13 AM »
I think You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login 's last post is right, it's silly to compare the promotional monster of a good SDCC Hall H panel to a youtube video. Especially on something like "social engagement."

That's a good point.  For small panels @home was a boon.  I think all the panels should have been put online all along.  They are officially recorded anyways, why not put them online?

Going forward I think that comic-con should always have a virtual component.  It's not going to cut into in person attendance.  It will open up comic-con to everyone that can't attend in person.  I don't see a downside.  Third parties already do this for the bigger panels.  CCI should do it for every panel.

I have my own selfish reasons, there are always dozens (at least) of small panels I would love to see but just can't. I would happily pay a bit to watch them afterwards.

Online SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2020, 10:41:50 AM »
I think You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login 's last post is right, it's silly to compare the promotional monster of a good SDCC Hall H panel to a youtube video. Especially on something like "social engagement."

I have my own selfish reasons, there are always dozens (at least) of small panels I would love to see but just can't. I would happily pay a bit to watch them afterwards.
This is what Comic-Con HQ was supposed to be for.
For $5 a month, you could view a selection of panels online, allowing you to catch up on those smaller panels you couldn't attend in person, even You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login 's panel :).
Great idea, failed execution. Oh well  :(.

Online Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2020, 12:24:36 PM »
Maybe they'll use this experience to try and push that again. 
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2020, 12:33:47 PM »
Comic-con HQ was much more than just watching panels, it was intended to be a streaming service with movies and it's own original content.  Otherwise, if people were only interested in watching panels they would sign up for 1 month after comic-con and then drop it until the next year.  At the number of views even the most watched @home panel got, I don't see how it would be a viable business.  That's now when it's free.  Many of those viewers probably wouldn't be willing to pay for it.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2020, 10:51:06 AM »

Years ago, when wait-times for Hall H started exceeding just a couple of hours, I came to the realization/mantra that SDCCI is so great you _will_ miss cool panels (since you're likely doing other, equally cool stuff).  If CCI had a virtual component that kept some of the smaller panels 'officially' online for, say, a week or two after SDCCI week, I'd LOVE to be able to see it!  It would be like 'bonus Comic-Con!'
Think about it!  We all trudge home after a week of (awesome) madness, we get back and decompress, and as we start getting back to the real world and then we want _more_ Comic-Con.  This could be an awesome way to 1) keep the SDCCI high going a little longer 2) catch up on panels we missed/relive panels we loved 3) get more eyes on panels.

I still think CCI could charge a nominal fee for a Comic-Con @ Home experience for folks who missed out on badges, and maybe as a service for badge-holders it can be a bonus

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2020, 03:35:33 AM »
On Youtube, I think you only have to watch for a minute to have that view counted. I know I peeked in on quite a few panels and stayed for a minute or two.  Realizing that quality views are impossible to measure on that platform, I have to think many of those views could have been similar quick peeks. 

Overall, I was disappointed immediately when I saw there was no live interaction even via chat.  Not my cup of tea for SDCC panels. For casual viewing, yes.  I have gone back to quick check in on more panels, trying to experience some new stuff, but still find it makes me sad.

There have been lots of actual SDCC panels put up after last year's con, and I find those panels much more exciting to watch. I have fun catching some missed in person. There are usually lots of  comments to add to the fun.

I miss SDCC live even more after the at-home event.  :(
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline darqamin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 179
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2020, 08:12:38 PM »
Thanks, it was great to see the comparative stats in one place  :)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2020, 09:11:29 AM »
This is what Comic-Con HQ was supposed to be for.
For $5 a month, you could view a selection of panels online, allowing you to catch up on those smaller panels you couldn't attend in person, even You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login 's panel :).
Great idea, failed execution. Oh well  :(.
I think the other "problem" is the money aspect.  I would throw as much money as I have to to attend Comic-Con in July; I'm not interested in yearly/monthly subscriptions to view a handful of panels (minus footage?) I may have missed.  Nowadays, with studios releasing the big footage almost immediately after (sometimes right before) screening in Hall H/Ballroom 20/Indigo Ballroom, there may not be a need for that type of thing?

OR.....

Maybe in the age of streaming, there's another option: what if SDCCI can partner up with a streaming service to add some sort of "programming" option instead.  Maybe the Comic-Con HQ (subscription service) was ahead of its time, and now that we're in the Streaming Age this type of thing would be more accepted by the community IF it were part of a bigger over-all package.
It's plausible as CCI's digital footprint expands when the Museum opens CCI will develop deeper partnerships with studios that may open the door for streaming content down the road