Author Topic: Badge Pick Up 2013  (Read 53192 times)

Offline DianaOfThemyscira

• Gaming Lounge
  • formerly Xax
  • Liked: 83
Re: Badge Pick Up
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 04:09:57 PM »
So, I can pick up all 3 badges on Wed at T&C, but I have to collect the holders on the individual days? OK that makes sense

Offline tashicon

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 05:20:48 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If you have single day badges, you CAN pick them up on Wednesday (if you have a Thursday) only at T&C. All the badges will be printed for you when you pick up BUT you still need the badge HOLDERS (color varies by day) and that can only be picked up at the convention center. The only badges that can be picked up at the convention center on Wed are 4 Day WITH PN.

See grid for more details. 

When you get to the convention center in the morning, you'll see 4 lines. There will be a line for Volunteers near one end. There is a line for Hall H under the tents on the other end. You'll see 2 different lines that start middle-ish of the center. One is for the people picking up badges. The other line is for the people who already have badges to get in and are either headed to the exhibit floor or to BR 20 (and other panel rooms).

Badge pickup moves pretty fast once the line actually gets moving - the difficult part is just figuring out where the line starts/ends and security doesn't always know. Keep your eyes peeled for where the flow of people go and if they are or are not wearing badges and you'll be able to figure out which line to go to.

If you do not have a badge and are trying to get into a panel, you'd need to coordinate with friends to save a spot in line for you (some folks get really upset about people saving spots but me personally, it's not a big deal if it's like 1-2 people).

Don't know if that answered your question or made things more confusing!  :o

So each day (I have Thursday and Friday badges) I have to get a badge holder, or on Thusday will they give me both?

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: Badge Pick Up 2013
« Reply #17 on: Today at 12:16:49 AM »

Offline Khaaaaaaanh!!!

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 05:23:34 PM »
I remember last year they were much more clear re: badge holders. Stated that you can pick up all badge holders in a separate line at the convention center once you have your badges. Assuming the same but will look for confirmation.
...you had me at hello...

New to the forum? Look here!

Offline LadyS

• Freebie Table
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2013, 08:04:01 PM »
There's 3 of us going this year, and we've got two 4 day with preview and one 4 day without preview.  So, if I'm reading the badge pick up grid right, and we want to pick up all the badges on Wednesday we'll have to go all the way over to T&C to get one badge, then go all the way back to pick up the other 2 badges? Ugh. 

Any suggestions on the fastest way to achieve this?  We'd like to get a chance at some of the exclusives on preview night but we also really don't want to line up on Thursday morning in the pick up line for the other badge.

Offline Khaaaaaaanh!!!

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2013, 08:11:21 PM »
If you're going to Preview Night, you will have to be at the convention center anyways.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2013, 08:11:41 PM »
We are in the same situation as you, LadyS. We have 4 people with Preview Night and one without. What we will do is have everyone except the one person who does not have Preview Night pick up their badge at the convention center on Wednesday. Then the other person will pick hers up at the convention center on Thursday morning. If it turns out that we want to line up for a panel that morning, we will hold a spot for our friend while she does the badge pickup.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 06:48:38 AM by Transmute Jun »

Offline outphase

• Exhibit Hall
    • Law Bomb
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2013, 08:48:59 PM »
There's 3 of us going this year, and we've got two 4 day with preview and one 4 day without preview.  So, if I'm reading the badge pick up grid right, and we want to pick up all the badges on Wednesday we'll have to go all the way over to T&C to get one badge, then go all the way back to pick up the other 2 badges? Ugh. 

Any suggestions on the fastest way to achieve this?  We'd like to get a chance at some of the exclusives on preview night but we also really don't want to line up on Thursday morning in the pick up line for the other badge.

Split up. There's no reason to stick together when you can't during preview night anyway.

Offline dogberry

• Gaming Lounge
  • Stories are worth dying for.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2013, 12:17:32 AM »
My first SDCC was 2012, and I did my pick up for 4 x Single Day tickets on Wed at T&C. Flew in from NY, arrived at around 11am, had a nice lunch, checked in etc. before deciding to pick up my Thur-Sun badges at around 4pm. Frankly, the most tedious aspect was getting to T&C from Marriott (next to the Convention Centre). The lines for the shuttle bus were extremely long and my friends and I had to wait two turns before boarding, then we spent 30 min in the sluggish traffic to get to T&C.

However, once we got there, despite the long lines it took only 25 min to receive our badges and bags. The process was fuss-free and the staff wasted no time checking our IDs of the initial frenzy of people trying to trade bags right after receiving them. Then it was another long wait to get on the shuttle bus back to downtown SD. :)

My best friend arrived in SD only on Friday morning and needed to collect her badges for Fri, Sat and Sun. Initially we thought that she'd have to pick them up daily at 8.30am, but turned out she managed to collect all 3 of them on Friday afternoon - the lady issuing badges just printed all of them for her so there was no need for her to go through this process again over the weekend.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2013, 06:49:34 AM »
Dogberry, great to see you again! I've been wondering where you were!

Offline KirbySS

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 30
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2013, 09:31:54 AM »
Does anyone have any tips on driving to Town and Country on Wednesday to pick up badges? Like where is closest T&C parking lot to badge pick-up which I've read has been in the Atlas Ballroom (I know there is a parking charge)? It looks like on the satellite map there are parking lots in front and in back of the Town and Country. Does parking fill up? I've heard there can be traffic around the T&C Wednesday afternoon. If so, what times is traffic the worst and is there a way to avoid it (alternate route)?

Offline Khaaaaaaanh!!!

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2013, 09:38:04 AM »
Are you a local? I've heard people taking the trolley to T&C

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2013, 09:47:13 AM »
Does anyone have any tips on driving to Town and Country on Wednesday to pick up badges? Like where is closest T&C parking lot to badge pick-up which I've read has been in the Atlas Ballroom (I know there is a parking charge)? It looks like on the satellite map there are parking lots in front and in back of the Town and Country. Does parking fill up? I've heard there can be traffic around the T&C Wednesday afternoon. If so, what times is traffic the worst and is there a way to avoid it (alternate route)?

I am not an expert at this, but I believe that Town & Country charges for parking and from what I have seen for other events, parking is limited.  There is a mall that is nearby that you could potentially park at (Fashion Valley Mall, I think), but keep in mind that they say that you can't park for off site events.  So be sure to go into the mall, buy a pack of gum or soda and keep the receipt, and then walk back out to the T&C.  Don't go straight from your car to the T&C.  It is not a huge walk, maybe 2-3 lengths of the convention center or so?

I hope these wishy-washy answers help.

Offline JerseyGirl317

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2013, 06:43:19 PM »
It took us less than 1/2 hour to get our badges at T&C last year.
I'm all grown up... No longer John_Yon's padawan.

Offline dogberry

• Gaming Lounge
  • Stories are worth dying for.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2013, 06:55:23 PM »
Dogberry, great to see you again! I've been wondering where you were!
HEYO TJ! Yes it's great to be back! I'd kinda fallen off the Internet radar for a while because of my ridiculous work schedule and some travelling to Europe, but now I'm trying to get my work/life balance in check and plan for SDCC '13 again. Second time's gonna be even better now that I am much more informed - thanks to this forum as well!

The traffic is indeed pretty bad on Wednesday afternoon - it gets really sluggish from 3pm-5pm especially. I still think the most convenient and cost efficient way would be to find cheaper parking near one of the free shuttles and use that service to go to T&C and back. :)

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2013, 07:33:12 PM »
HEYO TJ! Yes it's great to be back! I'd kinda fallen off the Internet radar for a while because of my ridiculous work schedule and some travelling to Europe, but now I'm trying to get my work/life balance in check and plan for SDCC '13 again. Second time's gonna be even better now that I am much more informed - thanks to this forum as well!

Work: a necessary evil to be able to afford the annual pilgrimage to SDCC. ;)

I'm glad you managed to pull yourself away and fined your way back here! :D