Author Topic: Bringing a pet to SDCC  (Read 3558 times)

Offline Angie

• Ballroom 20
    • The NerdyGirl's Blog
  • Liked: 200
Bringing a pet to SDCC
« on: March 26, 2014, 02:03:14 PM »
This year I may have to bring my dog with me in order to go to Comic-con. I've already researched the pet-friendly hotels, but I was just wondering if any of you had brought your dog to SDCC? Did it hinder your experience?

Offline Jim Watari

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Twitter @jwatari
  • Liked: 584
Re: Bringing a pet to SDCC
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 02:08:46 PM »
The Manchester Grand Hyatt has pet friendly floors at their hotel
The more things change, the more they stay the same

Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: It's okay, I'm a leaf on the wind!
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: What does that mean?

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 07:53:33 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 03:30:00 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

"No Pets Allowed

If you have pets, including iguanas, parrots, boa constrictors, or other nonhuman critters, please leave them at home. The Convention Center will not allow animals into the building, except for service animals.
- See more at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login"

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 04:48:37 PM »
Is it just a pet? Or is this a service animal?

Offline dolphina

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Live Long and Prosper
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 04:52:54 PM »
This year I may have to bring my dog with me in order to go to Comic-con. I've already researched the pet-friendly hotels, but I was just wondering if any of you had brought your dog to SDCC? Did it hinder your experience?
Is it a service animal? Just to let you know that sometimes the convention floor is so tightly packed that you can barely move, I would even hesitate to bring a small child and would worry about doggy being bumped into or having his paw stepped on.
A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting”

Wondercon, SDCC, Comikazi, Blizzcon, SWCA, D23

Yzrfan

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 05:04:25 PM »
They exhibit floor would be too packed for a service dog. It will get it's paws trampled. Don't think they will let non-service dogs in the convention center.

Stay golden Ponyboy.

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 738
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 09:51:02 PM »
If you do not want to worry about your pooch while you are at the con, may I advise you to take him to the kennels at Disneyland? You will have to pay a nominal fee, but they play with them, give them lots of love, feed and water them and all the good stuff. They are open really early and close really late every day.

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 06:31:00 AM »
If you do not want to worry about your pooch while you are at the con, may I advise you to take him to the kennels at Disneyland? You will have to pay a nominal fee, but they play with them, give them lots of love, feed and water them and all the good stuff. They are open really early and close really late every day.

I have tons of Disneyland Kennel experience. They don't play with your dog. They do not even touch them. The most they can do is slide in food or water. You are responsible to stop in several times a day to take them out to potty and play. They are also only open park hours and you can't leave your pet overnight.  I don't think it would work for SDCC but would be doable for Wondercon.  Ive considered it for that myself, my old guy just hasn't been traveling as well though.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
    • You Fancy Me Mad
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 06:38:43 AM »
I know where I live here are TONS of awesome boarding options for your dog. I'd look into a local place before dragging them to San Diego. Or even look into hiring a pet sitter to stay at your place. I do it all the time for people.

Offline Angie

• Ballroom 20
    • The NerdyGirl's Blog
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 09:29:31 AM »
So sorry, I should have specified that I would just be bringing her to the hotel and not to the con floor. I have left her with a family member the previous years but since I moved that's not an option.

I guess I'll have to see what hotel I get and go from there.

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
    • You Fancy Me Mad
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 09:42:52 AM »
You don't have any friends that could help out and watch your pup for you? No pet sitters in the area?

Offline jujubaSD

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 67
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 10:53:34 AM »
I know where I live here are TONS of awesome boarding options for your dog. I'd look into a local place before dragging them to San Diego. Or even look into hiring a pet sitter to stay at your place. I do it all the time for people.

I would second this. I suppose it depends on how big your dog is. Mine is under 20lbs so she doesn't cost much to board. My vet actually has boarding kennels. A play area that the dogs get to run around for part of the day. And they get walked several times a day. My friend used to work there, which is why I know the dogs get treated with lots of love and care. $25/day for me.

Not sure how your dog is. But usually bringing your dog to the hotels, even if they are dog friendly can be stressful. All the noises (people in the halls) and smells are unfamiliar to a dog and can be stressful. If your dog is a barker, it could pose a problem. So even when I travel with my dog, I make sure she's not alone for more than a 2-3 hours. I should add, that a lot of hotels do not like if you're leaving a dog by itself all day and it barks. Some give fines and some ask you to leave if the dog is unattended and there's a lot of noise complaints. Each dog is different, so you'll have to judge how yours will do in an unfamiliar place, and how often you'll need to leave the convention center to check up on it/walk it for bathroom breaks.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 10:56:06 AM by jujubaSD »

Offline Angie

• Ballroom 20
    • The NerdyGirl's Blog
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 06:07:25 PM »
My dog is a weird case. She's not good around strangers at ALL, hence why it's hard for me to get a pet sitter/kennel her. I've stayed in hotels with her before and she was okay. I am concerned about her barking though. Last year I was back at the hotel every 4-5 hours at least (I didn't do any of the waiting in huge lines) because it was so close.

Offline jujubaSD

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 67
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 11:08:26 PM »
My dog is a weird case. She's not good around strangers at ALL, hence why it's hard for me to get a pet sitter/kennel her. I've stayed in hotels with her before and she was okay. I am concerned about her barking though. Last year I was back at the hotel every 4-5 hours at least (I didn't do any of the waiting in huge lines) because it was so close.

I suppose it'd also depend on where you're staying at. Westin Gaslamp Quarter is great for pet friendly that is close to the convention, but they are in the hotel lottery.

So, if you're staying even further you'll have to take into account being away from the con even more.

Could you find a small boarding place where your dog would have a lot of space but maybe is isolated from other dogs? ... If it's something you're worth doing, try it out. I know it's not ideal. But you may also want to spend a few one nighters at hotels in your area to kind of get your dog familiar with this type of setting. My parents did this with their dogs. And they would only be good for 1-2 hours at a time. Now they can leave the girls for 3-4 hours. Probably longer, but they choose not to.

Call hotels and check on their policies about barking. I know some are strict.

Offline Angie

• Ballroom 20
    • The NerdyGirl's Blog
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2014, 05:25:33 PM »
I suppose it'd also depend on where you're staying at. Westin Gaslamp Quarter is great for pet friendly that is close to the convention, but they are in the hotel lottery.

So, if you're staying even further you'll have to take into account being away from the con even more.

Could you find a small boarding place where your dog would have a lot of space but maybe is isolated from other dogs? ... If it's something you're worth doing, try it out. I know it's not ideal. But you may also want to spend a few one nighters at hotels in your area to kind of get your dog familiar with this type of setting. My parents did this with their dogs. And they would only be good for 1-2 hours at a time. Now they can leave the girls for 3-4 hours. Probably longer, but they choose not to.

Call hotels and check on their policies about barking. I know some are strict.

I'll definitely look into the barking policies, thanks! I've already got my list of pet-friendly hotels (there are quite a few surprisingly) and some are really close to the con center. If I don't get any of those I'm looking into alternatives. From what I understand most doggie day cares don't want your dog if it doesn't get along with others, which sucks.