Author Topic: Best options for going alone?  (Read 5732 times)

Offline TheOtherMel

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 125
Re: Best options for going alone?
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2014, 12:20:26 PM »
I went alone last year as i'm the only geek/nerd in my group of friends.  But thank God for the folks on this forum for the hours and hours and hours........and hours that I spent in line with them making the waiting bearable. 

Twitter feed: @mel641

Offline dolphina

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Live Long and Prosper
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2014, 09:19:13 PM »
Hey Mel I AM, hoping to be line buddies again, well if I get PN, Oh, the waiting.......
A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting”

Wondercon, SDCC, Comikazi, Blizzcon, SWCA, D23

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 10:27:38 PM »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2014, 04:03:39 AM »
the first year i went it was just Lewis who was 10 and myself.  i was ***so*** jealous of all the groups of folks.  I saw them coming & going out of line to the bathroom/starbucks/etc.
If anything that was one of the biggest motivators to reaching out and encouraging others to reach out too  ;)
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
  • Liked: 1750
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2014, 09:16:38 AM »
Lines were crazy this past year so teaming up with members on the forums is the way to go.

As timing gets closer I plan to start a line team up group for exhibit hall.

In the meantime we can establish some ground rules so everyone can contribute fairly and help out each other.
Time and Relative Dimension in Space - 'TARDIS' for short

Editor-in-Chief of the FoCC Blog

Offline karl clement

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 136
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2014, 06:12:09 PM »
IM hoping to go again this year for the 3rd year strait, im also looking at the idea for room mates as well, close far im not at issue , I used the shuttle last year and it was cool, I cant wait for badge sales to begin
SDCC 2013,2014,2015,2016
FanExpo  2011,2012, 2015
Montreal CC  2011, 2013
Ottawa CC 2013
Cornwall CAPE 2015, 2016

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2014, 06:46:00 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I cant wait for badge sales to begin

In that you are definitely not alone!

Offline TheOtherMel

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 125
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2014, 04:06:20 PM »
Hey Mel I AM, hoping to be line buddies again, well if I get PN, Oh, the waiting.......

Done deal! Ms. Dolpinax2 was my line buddy for the con and we both rocked out at the MTV music fest!! 
Twitter feed: @mel641

Offline Citizenvain

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2014, 01:05:08 PM »
My cousin can't make it next year so I'll need a roommate in 2015.

Stayed at the Hard Rock this year and loved it. Ideally I'll be in the gaslamp again. Fingers crossed.

Offline debster

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 569
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2014, 04:05:32 AM »
Yeah, line buddies are the best...last year I was the only one in my group who was in the Hall H line for Friday, and it was very nerve wracking. I made some friends in line, but it was a little scary knowing that I wasn't with  my regular group. Luckily for the most part, attendees are very friendly.

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2014, 04:05:06 PM »
Yeah, line buddies are the best...last year I was the only one in my group who was in the Hall H line for Friday, and it was very nerve wracking. I made some friends in line, but it was a little scary knowing that I wasn't with  my regular group. Luckily for the most part, attendees are very friendly.
This is how my entire day in the Hall H line was, from Friday through that whole night into the morning...makin friends w/folks who are all there for the same reason...you can bet that you'll meet folks and be fine.
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline joyful_314

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 82
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2015, 06:50:43 PM »
You are going to love it. I have gone alone the last 2 years, and bunked with people from the forum for those 2. It went great and it was well worth it to split costs..

Definitely look at the room sharing thread here, and even if you don't have something it doesn't hurt to post up there as a ISO as well. It is so much fun to go by yourself and the freedom is amazing, but the costs can hurt. The first year I went, I stayed at the KOA campground in Chula Vista and the whole week only cost me $280… So there are ways to save your money! If you find 4 ppl to stay at the hard rock in one room, its only $100 a night. Just remember to factor in hotel fees and how much they charge for parking too!!

Offline StarBell84

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2015, 05:53:39 AM »
I went alone last year as i'm the only geek/nerd in my group of friends.  But thank God for the folks on this forum for the hours and hours and hours........and hours that I spent in line with them making the waiting bearable.

I'm going alone this year. Like you, I am the only greek/nerd among my friends. The one person who is a professional (who I went with last year) s is only there to see half naked girls in their cosplay costumes and that's it. No panels, no off site events, just the ladies in cosplay was his interest.

Since I'm there to explore the entire Con I am hoping to meet different people, from this site would be awesome. It would help me also get out of my independent on my own nature.
Free your inner nerd so your outer nerd has someone to talk to

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2015, 06:30:04 AM »
StellBell, make sure to check out our forum get-togethers! So far we have our annual Preview Night Breakfast, and Sunday night dinner/swag trade. But others may come.

Offline StarBell84

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2015, 08:15:22 AM »
StellBell, make sure to check out our forum get-togethers! So far we have our annual Preview Night Breakfast, and Sunday night dinner/swag trade. But others may come.

Thank you for the reply. I am definitely doing the breakfast and I will sign up for Sunday night dinner. I will look out for more events/meetups  ;D
Free your inner nerd so your outer nerd has someone to talk to

Offline Devorah

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • If the apocalypse comes, beep me.
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2015, 08:47:52 AM »
Thank you for the reply. I am definitely doing the breakfast and I will sign up for Sunday night dinner. I will look out for more events/meetups  ;D

There are also plenty of unofficial meetups, like if several people are going to "X" event or waiting on "X" line they agree to meet up there.  So be sure to watch for threads of any off sites or panel lines you are interested in - or start the thread yourself! :)