Author Topic: When to cosplay what? (based on crowds etc.)  (Read 2311 times)

Offline aGeekSaga

• Freebie Table
    • A Geek Saga
  • Liked: 4
When to cosplay what? (based on crowds etc.)
« on: July 10, 2014, 07:35:53 AM »
Usually at conventions I stay in costume all day, every day, but with SDCC being 4 days long (and with my having to fly across the country) I'm a bit limited :) I'm bringing three costumes (Katya from Archer, Starbuck from BSG, and Cersei from Game of Thrones) and I'm just torn on what to wear when. I.E. should I bother wearing a costume on Sunday, or are most people kinda done with it (cosplaying at SDCC) by then? Obviously Starbuck is my most comfortable costume of those three - is there a day where it's, say, more crowded or something, where that one would be better?

I don't know, basically just tell me what you guys usually do or see in terms of cosplaying at SDCC and I suppose I'll figure things out from there :D
I do stuff and things. Stuff. And things.

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
Re: When to cosplay what? (based on crowds etc.)
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 08:10:48 AM »
I'm coplaying Sunday because that's what works for my schedule. People will cosplay every day during SDCC. As far as which costume on what day, it just depends on you really. I know for some, it's "important" to wear a GoT (example) costume the day of the GoT panel. For others, it's just a matter of what's easier on that day based on their schedule.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 06:45:04 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 08:37:04 AM »
All days are essentially equally crowded. 

As the show goes on, you will get more tired so if I cosplayed, I would go in increasing order of comfort.

One thing you might want to consider is in cosplay people are going to be stopping you constantly to take a picture.  If you want to take a day off to just explore, you might want to not wear a costume that day.

(This one I could help with.  The other one was bars/parties where I am lost   :o  )

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 09:11:35 AM »
We were thinking my daughters would wear their Elsa and Anna (Frozen) cosplays on Sunday, since that's Kids Day.  Hoping that works out well.

Offline sisustylegirl

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 55
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 09:13:30 AM »
We usually skip Sunday because by that time we are too tired to wear anything other than jeans and a t-shirt.

Typically we save our best cosplay for Fri or Sat, depending on where we want to be (Hall H, Ballroom 20, smaller panels, wandering around).  We try to do our best stuff when we are prepared for picture taking and not super tired. 

Also consider, if you have a lot of details, makeup etc, are you going to be sleeping in lines for anything?  Do you have someone who can relieve you to get ready (it is hard to do great cosplay makeup sitting on a cement sidewalk behind the convention center, waiting for Hall H to open).  Another thing to consider!

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 09:14:08 AM »
Some years I cosplay all 4 days, and sometimes I'm "over it" by Sunday and revert to normal clothes. This year I only have 2 or 3 costumes (still finishing one) so I obviously can't do all 4 days. I usually wait to see the schedule before I decide what to wear when - I base it on what I'm going to be doing that day, both comfort-wise and theme-wise. For instance if I have a Star Wars costume it's more fun to wear it on Star Wars day, there's more other people to pose with, etc. Or last year we ate at Syfy's Cafe Defiance once so I made sure to wear my Defiance cosplay that day. But sometimes I base it on comfort, too - on a day I'm planning on being in Hall H all day I can wear worse shoes b/c I know I won't need to move around as much.

Offline iwant2believe

• Exhibit Hall
    • mermailade | instagram
  • Liked: 17
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 09:38:36 AM »
There's a Game of Thrones Group Photo being organized for Saturday from 3 - 4pm, that's one thing to consider! :D

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 10:07:36 AM »
I like to wear cosplay related to the panels I plan to attend. Outside of that, by Sunday I am a little more exhausted, plus that's the day I usually schlep around books in the Sails (multiple author autographing sessions) so I will often do a more casual/comfortable costume on Sunday. This year I'm thinking of wearing my Starfleet uniform on Sunday, for example.  But yes, people cosplay every day.

Offline aGeekSaga

• Freebie Table
    • A Geek Saga
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 10:11:06 AM »
There's a Game of Thrones Group Photo being organized for Saturday from 3 - 4pm, that's one thing to consider! :D

Oh thank God it's from 3-4? I thought I saw somewhere that they were doing it at like 9 AM which like LOLOLOLOL because it takes me at least an hour and a half to get into my Cersei costume (lace up gown and belt PLUS extensions in my hair, ugh)
I do stuff and things. Stuff. And things.

Offline iwant2believe

• Exhibit Hall
    • mermailade | instagram
  • Liked: 17
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 12:05:08 PM »
Oh thank God it's from 3-4? I thought I saw somewhere that they were doing it at like 9 AM which like LOLOLOLOL because it takes me at least an hour and a half to get into my Cersei costume (lace up gown and belt PLUS extensions in my hair, ugh)

I am going as Daenerys on Friday, and on Saturday I'll be on HALL H, but depending on the schedule once its posted, maybe I can go to the group photo just in time for some pictures and run back again! XD
so that'll mean, getting ready in cosplay very, veeerryyy early zZzzzz

Offline imcla

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 04:32:23 PM »
I'm also taking 3 costumes this year. I'm doing Doctor Who on Sunday because that's when the group photoshoot happens. The other two I'm waiting for the panels schedule. Since they're based on videogames that already have been released and therefore won't have panels, the day that has the most panels I want to see (so I'll be spending more time inside a room where no one would see my costume) I'll just wear regular clothes.

Offline matthew

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 07:48:03 PM »
cosplay

something that is awesome that is form fitting like clothes, is better than something that is awesome and huge and bulky. that said, masks suck. ever see a convention from inside a darth vader mask? not as comfy as no mask. nor is that godzilla suit going to make the people sitting at  a panel your best friend.

go in ancient egyptian garb. it can get really hot, and you would be comfy. in the colder times, dress as a mummy and use some of the same jewelry, maybe some eye contacts. fits all those zombie parties too.