Author Topic: WonderCon and CCIs statements about the move  (Read 59041 times)

Offline Bert Su

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 73
Re: WonderCon and CCIs statements about the move
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2012, 10:32:22 PM »
I heard WonderCon had 100,000 attendees in Anahiem. Maybe that's why it's staying.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to my YouTube channel for Transformers reviews

Online Kevin Rutan

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 360
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2012, 09:13:41 AM »
The Anaheim convention center does have a lot of space that wasn't utilized for Wondercon this year, That does include a 7.5k seat arena. The primary problem with this year was the majority of the facilitie's available parking was closed of in reserve for that volleyball tournament. As for food, there's a large amount of restaruants in the area, you just need to know where to look.
Geology isn't a real science. -Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 07:25:30 AM »

Offline Khaaaaaaanh!!!

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2012, 09:24:27 AM »
Agreed. If it comes back to Anaheim next year, people will begin to get more familiar w/ the area and start to find their food spots, parking locations, etc. I think wherever anything is for the 1st time will always be a learning process of what works and what doesn't work. The city will definitely have to step it up but hopefully there won't be any rain to make things more challenging than needed but being able to get discounts to Disney and the movie theater was a good start - hopefully the restaurants will get in on this too and offer some deals.
...you had me at hello...

New to the forum? Look here!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2012, 09:29:15 AM »
I was surprised as to how small Wondercon was floor-space-wise.  It is my understanding that it was slightly bigger than when it is in SF and for some reason I was expecting it to take up more floor space.  Not complaining mind you, I had a great time there. 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 09:47:28 AM by Chris Chen »

Online Kevin Rutan

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 360
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2012, 11:03:57 AM »
I was surprised as to how small Wondercon was floor-space-wise.  It is my understanding that it was slightly bigger than when it is in SF and for some reason I was expecting it to take up more floor space.  Not complaining mind you, I had a great time there.

I was also disappointed with the floor space. I was hoping we would be in the space were they held the volleyball tournament as that's about 2.5 times larger than the hall we were in, but they did use the space available very well. I see a lot of potential there if they decide to continue Wondercon there or start a new show.
Geology isn't a real science. -Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2012, 11:06:20 AM »
I was also disappointed with the floor space. I was hoping we would be in the space were they held the volleyball tournament as that's about 2.5 times larger than the hall we were in, but they did use the space available very well. I see a lot of potential there if they decide to continue Wondercon there or start a new show.

Agreed.  If it is in Anahiem again next year or if another show is there, I hope they utilize more floor space.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2012, 12:35:51 PM »
I agree, if it's in Anaheim next year people will know better how it works. And hopefully there won't be other conventions going on at the same time!!!!

Offline Bert Su

• Pre-Registration
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2012, 09:38:16 PM »
I think everyone here has left out the fact that there is public transportation in Anahiem. When I was riding the Metro 460 to get to the Disneyland area, it passes by a few bus stations. For example, you can just park at orangethorpe park and ride the 460 to Disneyland. I don't think that's any more of a hassle than SF's public transit.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to my YouTube channel for Transformers reviews

Offline Khaaaaaaanh!!!

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2012, 09:57:38 PM »
True Bert. It's just unfamiliar to people so they automatically say that it sucks.

Amtrak takes you to Angel Stadium down the street. Shuttles from there. Anaheim Resort Transit to and from all the major landmarks in the city as well as hotels.

It's there. Just needs to be promoted better. Great food options as well.

Offline MegaDoug

• Gaming Lounge
  • Comic Con, where all are accepted as they are
    • my music, my love
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2012, 07:14:55 AM »
For a different Anaheim convention, I parked at the Metro/Amtrak station, and took a little shuttle that was parked right by the ticket office. It was mostly Disneyland employees on it, but the driver took me right to the center. Took the same shuttle back to the train station. During Wondercon this year, I parked at the con center parking lot, a security friend told me to say I was there for the volleyball.
"while in my gut the creature writhes and snarls and tells me what I need"

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2012, 09:33:15 AM »
We were at a Disneyland Hotel, and hopped back and forth between Disney and the Con. While our hotel was halfway between the two places, it was a little long to walk from Disneyland's front gate to the convention center, so we took ART (Anaheim Rapid Transit) which was decent; The busses were fast, but sometimes you'd have to wait for awhile for one to show up. It was $4 for an all day pass, or $10 for a 3 day pass.

Offline Bert Su

• Pre-Registration
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2012, 11:08:25 PM »
I admit the distance between the park and Wondercon is a bit much. I only went to the park the Thursday before Wondercon. Since you stayed at a hotel and didn't have to worry about commuting home, I guess you can visit Disneyland at night when Wondercon's exhibit hall closed and there weren't any interesting panels left each day of Wondercon. How was dland for you, anyway?

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2012, 06:57:38 AM »
Disneyland was awesome, but then we love Disney, so it's always awesome. ;)  We actually stayed at the Paradise Pier (Disney hotel) and it was a 5-10 minute walk from the convention center. I'd definitely do that again if we went to an Anaheim con.

We actually were up early on Saturday and Sunday for the Disney hotel guest early entry, then popped into California Adventure for the first hour, then came down to the Con, getting there just before lunchtime. It worked out really well for us on those days.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2012, 10:54:32 AM »
A friend of mine was talking with a CCI exec during Comic Con. So yeah, this is third-hand information by the time I pass it on to you guys, but I figure you'll still all be interested.

Essentially, the Moscone Center renovations are taking longer than expected. The only weekend San Francisco can offer to Wondercon is the weekend immediately after the construction is supposed to be done. You can see why CCI doesn't want to book this for a number of reasons. So it is extremely likely that WonderCon will be in Anaheim again in 2013.

HOWEVER, CCI is determined to bring WonderCon back to Northern California, as they feel that is where the Con belongs. So it is almost certain (at this point) that WonderCon will be back to San Francisco for 2014.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 05:43:45 PM by Transmute Jun »

Offline Khaaaaaaanh!!!

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2012, 01:50:40 PM »
The question was asked at the talkback panel but they were very tightlipped about the WonderCon plans for 2013.

Guess we'll wait and see...