Author Topic: SDCC 2020 Pro Registration  (Read 37704 times)

Offline mlgagne

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • By what right does the wolf judge the lion?
    • FoCC Blog Articles - mlgagne
  • Liked: 882
Re: SDCC 2020 Pro Registration
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2019, 10:13:16 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Mostly, I'm worried about #2.  This is the third time I've applied (approved the prior 2 times) and the basic qualifications that apply to me haven't really changed.  Unless of course they start raising the bar due to an increased number of applications.

I'm worried about #2 as well - particularly because LACC denied my pro app last week, and I submitted the exact same materials to CCI this year. And they included both a photocopy of my SAG card and two contracts with AFTRA for projects that were completed in the past year. If LACC had said that they were out of pro badges, that would be understandable...but the email actually said "your application did not meet the minimum requirements," even though their website states "your last project must have been completed within the last two years" in order to qualify.

To say I am baffled is an understatement. And if LACC has denied my app, I have a feeling CCI could as well (even though this is my 2nd time applying), since they have been vetting the apps much more carefully.
SDCC: 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019
WonderCon: 2017 | 2018 | 2019
NYCC: 2012 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016
Walker Stalker Con: 2015 (San Diego) | 2017 (Atlanta)

Offline DaveG

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 572
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2019, 06:11:02 AM »
Well, today marks 7 weeks since the registration deadline.  It's still well within their stated 6-8 week window, but now things start to get interesting.  For new pros (who might have gone to SDCC last year on a regular badge), they are probably currently eligible to participate in prereg next week.  If they are granted pro status prior to the 12th, then they will be taken out of that eligibility pool, but are at least guaranteed a badge.  It might be an issue for people they were hoping to help buy badges for as you're never quite sure how many guest badges you can buy.  Not sure how big those numbers are, so it's probably not a big problem.

For returning pros there is still time.  We just need to know if we need to join a group and participate in open registration.  Of course open registration is a whole different animal and thus the nervousness.  Will hopefully hear something soon.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 03:07:13 AM »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2019, 09:48:05 AM »
Does CCI send a 'rejection' email if you apply for a Pro?  Like, will we know definitively whether or not we are accepted as a Pro or rejected or is it more of a "I haven't heard by badge-buying day so I guess I'm buying a badge and I'm not a Pro" type of thing?

I'm applying as a pro, but I'm an Arts teacher: after 20 years of attending SDCCI this is the first year I've learned I could qualify as a pro because I'm a teacher so this is all new to me.  I'm assuming I'll get rejected (assuming pros in the industry would take priority over educators), which is fine, but I'd like to hear either way definitively

Offline mlgagne

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2019, 01:06:12 PM »
2.  They wanted to see how many applications they get and then determine how tight to make the qualifications so that approvals equal a predetermined number of badges.

Well, possible good news on this one. I just checked my CCI account, and it says the following on the pro tab:

All applications and verification materials were due by August 16, 2019. If you submitted an application and verification materials by this date, it will be processed in the order in which it was received, and you will be notified via email when it has been processed.

That seems to indicate that they aren’t going the route of reviewing all the applications first and then tightening the qualifications, as they will be processing them in the order received. But seeing as this is CCI, take that with a grain of salt!

Does CCI send a 'rejection' email if you apply for a Pro?  Like, will we know definitively whether or not we are accepted as a Pro or rejected or is it more of a "I haven't heard by badge-buying day so I guess I'm buying a badge and I'm not a Pro" type of thing?

Per the above, it looks like they will send both approval and rejection emails!

Offline DaveG

• Pre-Registration
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2019, 02:38:15 PM »
For now, I'm just going to accept the optimism.

Does anyone else check their member account daily to see if the status has changed?

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2019, 11:48:32 AM »
I was told by a friend yesterday that works for CCI that it's unlikely we'll hear back regarding Pro registration until after Returning Registration.  Take that as you want, and maybe that doesn't apply to all and just newbies like myself. 

Offline jeffa

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2019, 05:22:30 PM »
Well, today marks 7 weeks since the registration deadline.

At least we know we're all in the same boat, slowly approaching shore. I was counting 8 weeks from the application but it might be up to 8 weeks after August 16th, which is the 11th.

For new pros (who might have gone to SDCC last year on a regular badge), they are probably currently eligible to participate in prereg next week.  If they are granted pro status prior to the 12th, then they will be taken out of that eligibility pool, but are at least guaranteed a badge.

Many have pro status and still participate in lottery registration. There's not a huge reason to do so if you're a Creative pro, but Trade pros pay the full price for 5 days. So it's worthwhile to try other registration if you can't attend all 5 days (I've usually had conflicts on either Thursday or Sunday) or if you're eligible for a senior or military discount. You don't get to access the Pro Lounge if you're on a regular badge, though.

Offline GusGus23462

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 108
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2019, 04:36:58 PM »
Just got my email for Pro Registration and I’m APPROVED!!!!!!!!

:) :) :)

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2019, 06:36:41 PM »
Awesome, GusGus! That's the first approval of which I have heard!

Offline DaveG

• Pre-Registration
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2019, 04:32:28 AM »
That really is good news GusGus.  Congrats! 

Of course, now my anxiety level will go up every day that passes and I hear nothing.

Offline mlgagne

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2019, 08:20:03 AM »
Just got my email for Pro Registration and I’m APPROVED!!!!!!!!

:) :) :)

Congrats - so exciting!

Fingers crossed that more emails start trickling out today. I will be keeping a vigilant eye on my inbox!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mlgagne

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2019, 11:04:13 AM »
Update (and apologies for the double post!):

I just emailed CCI, as it has now been over 8 weeks since August 16 and most of us still have not received a response. Here is what their auto reply says:

The Comic-Con 2020 application period is now closed. All applications received by August 16, 2019 will be reviewed in the order in which they were received. Please allow 6-8 weeks for each application to be reviewed.  If you have been approved as a professional, or if your Comic-Con 2020 professional verification status is NOT DUE, you will receive an email with information regarding online badge registration as it becomes available.

In other words, they are still using the 6-8 week phrasing though that timeframe has clearly passed. Since GusGus received an email, we know that they are not reviewing all of the applications first and then sending out all of the approvals/rejections at the same time.

To make things even more interesting, some press folks have already received their confirmation emails, and their application period began on 9/11. According to CCI’s website, press has a 5-8 week review period (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login), and it hasn’t even hit 5 weeks since 9/11.

And the volunteer interest list opens up this coming Monday.

So, that begs the question: why on earth would they have the pro app period open/close so much earlier than everything else if they weren’t going to send out the responses before everything else?

Again, as stated earlier in this thread, I am not surprised in the slightest...but at the same time, CCI was already skating on thin ice with me after their handling of the Hall H line this year & how the staff treated me personally in that process (though I must voice that the onsite security people they hired were complete angels, as per usual). So to have this happen so soon afterwards is even more off-putting :-[

Offline DaveG

• Pre-Registration
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2019, 05:50:21 PM »
I still can't shake the feeling that they're adjusting their standards so that the number of approvals equals a predetermined number of pro badges they plan to award.  Maybe some decisions were easier resulting in some earlier notifications.  I don't really know, but at this point they've had all of the entries for 8 weeks.  I do tend to worry more than I should, so I'm hoping that's all it is.

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2019, 06:26:31 PM »
The different departments are run by different people. So, I wouldn't put too much into comparing Press and Pro timelines.

They definitely have changed the guidelines for Pro and are leaning more heavily in teachers and publishing. I'm guessing that had brought on a whole new batch of applications when they added teachers to the mix. They also quit splitting Trade Pro and Creative Pro.....also making the stack bigger

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline mlgagne

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2019, 09:06:21 AM »
The different departments are run by different people. So, I wouldn't put too much into comparing Press and Pro timelines.

They definitely have changed the guidelines for Pro and are leaning more heavily in teachers and publishing. I'm guessing that had brought on a whole new batch of applications when they added teachers to the mix. They also quit splitting Trade Pro and Creative Pro.....also making the stack bigger

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

You are right - I always forget that different people run those departments!

I’m remaining hopeful, since some of the materials I submitted were for audiobooks that are originally based on comics (and I did both narration and exec production for them). Audiobooks are a facet of publishing, so fingers crossed!

I do tend to worry more than I should

I, also, tend to do this. But I think a lot of people here probably already know that about me LOL