Author Topic: Panel preview 2013  (Read 7797 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
Panel preview 2013
« on: March 08, 2013, 09:46:37 AM »
The complete WonderCon Anaheim 2013 Programming Schedule is about a week away, but in the meantime we’d like to offer you a sneak peek at some of the great programs we’ll be offering this year. As usual, you can count on panels featuring our special guests (click here for the complete line-up), plus comic publisher presentations, movie and TV panels, workshops, the return of the Comics Arts Conference, and much more over all 3 days of WonderCon Anaheim 2013. But here’s just a little taste of what’s to come at the show in the programming rooms!

FRIDAY, MARCH 29
12:30—1:30 The Latino Comics Roundtable-Featuring cartoonists Jose Cabrera (Crying Macho Man), Javier Hernandez (El Muerto), Rafael Navarro (Sonambulo), and Grasiela Rodriguez (Lunatic Fringe). Influenced in part from their Latino heritage as well as other significant sources, this group of independent artists share their perspectives on making comics in a multicultural society. Moderated by Ricardo Padilla (co-founder of the Latino Comics Expo). Room 213

2:00—3:00 Quick Draw!-It's another duel-to-the-drawing-boards competition as three of the fastest, funniest cartoonists working today vie for the nonexistent crown. They are Scott Shaw! (The Simpsons), Jeff Smith (Bone), and Bobby London (Dirty Duck), with some surprise participants as well. Ring-leading it all as always is the Quizzzzmaster of Quick Draw!, Mark Evanier. No wagering. Room 300AB

7:00—9:00 BBC America’s Doctor Who and Orphan Black Screening­-Join BBC America for an exclusive Supernatural Saturday screening of Doctor Who and Orphan Black. BBC America’s new Supernatural Saturday lineup launches Saturday, March 30 with Doctor Who at 8/7c, Orphan Black at 9/8c ,and The Nerdist at 10/9c. Doctor Who will kick off the screening with Steven Moffat’s new episode “Phantom of the Hex,” the first of eight epic new episodes starring Matt Smith and his new companion Jenna-Louise Coleman. Then, catch the premiere episode of BBC America’s new original series Orphan Black. Tatiana Maslany portrays Sarah, an orphan and outsider whose life changes dramatically after witnessing the suicide of a woman who looks just like her. She takes her identity, her boyfriend, and her bank account. But instead of solving her problems, the street-smart chameleon is thrust headlong into a deadly conspiracy. Please note: Doctor Who is TV-PG and Orphan Black is TV-MA. Room 300AB

SATURDAY, MARCH 30
12:00—1:00 Adventure Time-What could make WonderCon Anaheim 2013 even more wonderful? How about a totally mathematical Adventure Time panel with some behind-the-scenes superstars? Find out what’s in store for our heroes Finn and Jake this season with a peek at how the show comes to life, exclusive clips, and a Q&A with the audience. So come on, grab your friends! Room 300AB

1:00—2:00 Mainstream Monsters-Join moderator Mark Waid (Thrillbent) as he finds out what enables us as readers to root for “the bad guy.” Jeff Parker (Thunderbolts), Jane Espenson (Once Upon A Time), Brent Anderson (The Phantom Stranger), Jimmy Palmiotti (All Star Western), and Dan Slott (Superior Spider-Man) share with us their tips and tricks for making us pledge our allegiance to characters that may not always play the role of the hero. Room 300AB

6:00—7:00 Textures: A Coloring Workshop with Alex Sinclair-DC Comics colorist Alex Sinclair will show you how he uses textures to enhance his work on comic book panels, pages, and covers. He will share tips on how to use the Adobe Photoshop brush tool to its full potential and to help you create different textures. Alex will do various demos and answer questions about his techniques. [Alex colored the cover for the WonderCon Anaheim 2013 Program Book . . . click here to see it!] Room 210BCD

SUNDAY, MARCH 31
12:00—1:00 Nerdist Industries-Join Chris Hardwick (host of BBC America's The Nerdist and AMC's Talking Dead) and some very relevant-to-your-interests talent from across the many-headed beast that is Nerdist Industries. Chris and friends will engage in lively conversation about the big things to come for Nerdist in the near future. Surprises, big announcements and, of course, quemments await! Arena

12:30—1:30 Jeff Smith and Terry Moore-Don’t miss this opportunity to learn how two of the industry’s leading self publishers have been successful for more than 20 years. Jeff Smith (Bone, RASL, Shazam) and Terry Moore (Strangers in Paradise, Echo, Rachel Rising) will discuss their publishing process and how they have been able to remain independent throughout their careers. Room 208

2:00—3:30 LEGO Batman: The Movie-DC Superheroes Unite-The ultimate blend of action and humor guaranteed to entertain fanboys of all ages, LEGO Batman: The Movie-DC Superheroes Unite finds Lex Luthor taking jealousy to new heights when fellow billionaire Bruce Wayne wins the Man of the Year Award. To top Wayne’s accomplishment, Lex begins a campaign for President; and to create the atmosphere for his type of fear-based politics, he recruits the Joker to perfect a Black LEGO Destructor Ray. While wreaking havoc on Gotham, Lex successfully destroys Batman's technology, forcing the Caped Crusader to reluctantly turn to Superman for help. WonderCon Anaheim presents the West Coast premiere of LEGO Batman: The Movie-DC Superheroes Unite, followed by a star-studded panel featuring the preeminent voice of Lex Luthor, Clancy Brown (The Shawshank Redemption, SpongeBob SquarePants) and TT Animation’s award-winning director/producer Jon Burton, as well as renowned videogame/animation actors Troy Baker (Bioshock Infinite, Batman: Arkham City) as Batman, Travis Willingham (Avengers Assemble, The Super Hero Squad Show) as Superman, Christopher Smith (Mortal Combat vs. DC Universe) as the Joker, and Charlie Schlatter (Diagnosis Murder) as Robin. Special prizes for special audience questions from moderator Gary Miereanu. From TT Animation, creators of the bestselling video game on which the film is based, LEGO Batman: The Movie-DC Superheroes Unite will be released May 21 via Warner Bros. Home Entertainment on Blu-ray and DVD. Room 300AB

More panel previews on Monday, March 11, and check out the complete WonderCon Anaheim 2013 Programming Schedule later next week!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Devorah

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • If the apocalypse comes, beep me.
  • Liked: 1399
Re: Panel preview 2013
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 09:54:21 AM »
Orphan Black sounds suspiciously like Ringer.  Obviously some differences but overall a similar plot line.  Hopefully since it's BBC it will be much much better, since Ringer was a real letdown for this Buffy fan!  :P

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 09:17:44 AM »

Offline Jim Watari

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Twitter @jwatari
  • Liked: 584
Panel preview 2013
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 10:06:05 AM »
Orphan Black sounds suspiciously like Ringer.  Obviously some differences but overall a similar plot line.  Hopefully since it's BBC it will be much much better, since Ringer was a real letdown for this Buffy fan!  :P

I heard that its more than one or two twins, yeah I never finished watching Ringer either
The more things change, the more they stay the same

Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: It's okay, I'm a leaf on the wind!
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: What does that mean?

Offline skeletim308

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 10:09:29 AM »
Wow! Really Excited for the Doctor Who and Mainstream Monsters panels. Looks like there's gonna be a great line up.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 11:13:11 AM »
Looks good, but I'm disappointed there's nothing about a potential Star Trek panel. Still keeping my fingers crossed...

Offline oneroomdisco

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 197
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 05:26:44 PM »
I'm not super worried about the lack of Star Trek news yet (and it's what I want to see most at WonderCon), as they didn't really reveal anything exceptionally big in this preview.  However, if they start revealing Hollywood stuff on Monday and it isn't there, then I probably will be panicking and freaking out.

I've been waiting since 2009 for the chance to see this glorious cast in person!

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 06:21:41 PM »
I'm not super worried about the lack of Star Trek news yet (and it's what I want to see most at WonderCon), as they didn't really reveal anything exceptionally big in this preview.  However, if they start revealing Hollywood stuff on Monday and it isn't there, then I probably will be panicking and freaking out.

I've been waiting since 2009 for the chance to see this glorious cast in person!

This is why I'm cautiously optimistic. At WonderCon 2009, they had Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto and Zoe Saldana, along with JJ Abrams, all promoting the movie (it had a May release and WonderCon was in March). It makes sense that they'd do that again with this film!

Offline oneroomdisco

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 197
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 12:35:37 PM »
The second part of the panel preview is up...and still no movie news.  Urg.  Friday needs to hurry up and get here.

The Under the Dome preview sounds cool though. :)

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 12:41:26 PM »
My husband will be thrilled with Starship Smackdown! He was there last year when Neil DeGrasse-Tyson showed up.

I agree, Under the Dome looks really interesting. I think I'll go to that if it doesn't conflict with anything else. *whistles nonchalantly*

ETA   It's  interesting that Disney/ABC is hosting a panel... might be a good sign for Disney's participation at SDCC...
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 12:49:57 PM by Transmute Jun »

Offline RSilvaConFan

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 88
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 12:48:45 PM »
What is the seating capacity of room 300AB? - I can't find it on the Anaheim Convention Center Website - the room numbers for the 300's start at 303A, etc..... and they seem kind of small.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 12:53:03 PM »
What is the seating capacity of room 300AB? - I can't find it on the Anaheim Convention Center Website - the room numbers for the 300's start at 303A, etc..... and they seem kind of small.

Looking at this map:

It looks like 300 is the Ballroom. 2 sections (A and B) of the ballroom is a LOT bigger than all of those tiny 303+ rooms!

Offline RSilvaConFan

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 88
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 01:10:39 PM »
Sounds good to me! Last year they used the entire ballroom as one room for the bigger panels - it sounds like that will have the big stuff in the Arena this year - which is bigger than Hall H if the capacity numbers are accurate.

Yzrfan

Panel preview 2013
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 01:11:21 PM »
The only thing listed for the arena is the Nerdist on Sunday. I'm sure the week before CCI will announce the big panels. So far the area floor area is bigger and seems like CCI is pushing for this year to be its biggest. Give it some time and we all will be in sitting with our mouths open because of the panels.

Yzrfan

Panel preview 2013
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 01:18:04 PM »
Already in excited about the doctor screening, adventure time, arrow, and leaked BSG panels. And I'm bummed I have to miss the Nerdist (the whole Easter thing). I was lucky enough to go to a filming of the Nerdist for BBC America over the weekend. One word Awesome! Don't know of I'm looking into things but the day of the WC Nerdist is also the season finale of Walking Dead. Saw a couple panels at D23 last one and it's a big place. I'm think it might be a Talking Dead Nerdist.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 01:20:10 PM »
Sounds good to me! Last year they used the entire ballroom as one room for the bigger panels - it sounds like that will have the big stuff in the Arena this year - which is bigger than Hall H if the capacity numbers are accurate.

That makes sense to me. I'm looking forward to see what else is coming, if the 'big' rooms haven't been announced yet!