Author Topic: SDCC 2019 Volunteer Discussion  (Read 57949 times)

Offline ccparka

• Exhibit Hall
    • Vertical Slice Media
  • Liked: 17
Re: SDCC 2019 Volunteer Discussion
« Reply #495 on: July 10, 2019, 06:06:41 AM »
Got mine at 6:30AM. So to get a jump start to Con, can we drop by the Marriott on Wednesday night to get our first assignment and then get our Thursday badge?

Offline quantumslip

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 66
« Reply #496 on: July 10, 2019, 07:17:45 AM »
First time volunteer...

• Where is the volunteer orientation document? They mentioned bringing some signed pages, but I have no idea where that is located. Was it supposed to be in email?
  • I have a badge already, and am not super picky about the time slot I would get, though I would have a morning/afternoon preference depending on the day. What would be the best time to go to minimize time waiting in line for an assignment??
  • Kind of related to above, in general are morning shifts more popular vs afternoon shifts?

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #497 on: Today at 03:57:26 PM »

Offline DianaOfThemyscira

• Gaming Lounge
  • formerly Xax
  • Liked: 83
« Reply #497 on: July 10, 2019, 07:36:55 AM »
1 - the email you got in November when you registered
2- no idea.
3 see above

Offline Sakura17

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 96
« Reply #498 on: July 10, 2019, 08:31:45 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Just got my barcode email, but I didn't see a link to the pages we need to print and bring with us. Did I miss it?  I searched my inbox and couldn't find anything for this year.

I got mine as well. Does that mean then we have no hope now of getting a pre-con shift?

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Crazy-Town Banana-Pants!
  • Liked: 684
« Reply #499 on: July 10, 2019, 08:39:13 AM »
The pages you need are in that one email you get after signing up. Not the barcode email.

But don’t panic if you can’t find the pages, each page will be available onsite. As for a pre-con shift email, no email by now = you weren’t picked.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 08:43:17 AM by Mario Wario »
Twitter: @ScottyTheWise

2014: SDCC, LBCC
2015: WC, SWCA, WW Sac., D23, LBCC, Comikaze
2016: SVCC, WC, SDCC
2017: ECCC, WC, SVCC, D23, SDCC
2018: WC, SVCC, E3, SDCC
2019: WC, SDCC, D23
2022: SWCA, SDCC, D23
2023: SDCC

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #500 on: July 10, 2019, 08:52:04 AM »
They sent us an email with the subject Welcome to the Comic-Con 2019 Volunteer Program once we registered. My email is dated November 1,2018. That email has the volunteer package attached with the forms you need to sign and bring in.

Aha!  I will search back further....Thank you! [member=3593]debster[/member] [member=2389]Mario Wario[/member]
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #501 on: July 10, 2019, 08:56:20 AM »
I got mine as well. Does that mean then we have no hope now of getting a pre-con shift?

I wouldn't say no hope.  A couple of years back, a second round of pre-con assignments came out about a week after the first.  I would say low hope.  About on the order of getting Conan tickets. ;)

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #502 on: July 10, 2019, 09:01:50 AM »
First time volunteer...

• Where is the volunteer orientation document? They mentioned bringing some signed pages, but I have no idea where that is located. Was it supposed to be in email?
  • I have a badge already, and am not super picky about the time slot I would get, though I would have a morning/afternoon preference depending on the day. What would be the best time to go to minimize time waiting in line for an assignment??
  • Kind of related to above, in general are morning shifts more popular vs afternoon shifts?
1 - the email you got in November when you registered
2- no idea.
3 see above
Let me help with these by adding to @DianaOfThemyscira's reply:

1. The volunteer badge bar code email is not the same as your volunteer registration email.  Your bar code email is for the purposes of getting your badge on-site at the Volunteers Department HQ area.  Your volunteer registration email is the one you received way back in November, the one that says you are confirmed to be a volunteer for Comic-Con 2019.  A quick search in your email inbox should help you locate it as well as the attachment for the pages you need to print out and bring to the Volunteers Department HQ.

Much like what @Mario Wario said, it is also true that the HQ will have some copies of the forms you need printed out for you, in case you lose yours or end up not finding it.

2. In the past, I've noticed that there are much less people in line in the late afternoon/early evening through closing time or so.  If you're not too particular about when your shift time slot is, I would recommend going later to select your next shift for the following day (or, alternatively, you could get there before they open up for the day and be the first to select your shift when they do open up, as that would probably have less people in line than the prime hours of late morning through afternoon).

3. Morning shifts and late morning shifts are more popular, due to the fact that people like being able to go to panels or events later on in the day without having to worry about their volunteer schedule.

Hope this helps!  ^__^/
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 09:08:20 AM by Zero »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #503 on: July 10, 2019, 09:04:40 AM »
Found the original Volunteer Program email.  Mine was dated October 18th, so I hadn't gone back far enough...Thanks all!
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #504 on: July 10, 2019, 09:05:30 AM »
2. In the past, I've noticed that there are much less people in line in the late afternoon/early evening through closing time or so.  If you're not too particular about when your shift time slot is, I would recommend going later to select your next shift for the following day (or, alternatively, you could get there before they open up for the day to select your shift, as that would probably have less people in line than the prime hours of late morning through afternoon).

I always sign up for the next day's shift right before VHQ closes.  There's never a line.  I've never not gotten a shift for the time slot I wanted.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #505 on: July 10, 2019, 09:07:27 AM »

I always sign up for the next day's shift right before VHQ closes.  There's never a line.  I've never not gotten a shift for the time slot I wanted.

Indeed! This is very true.  There was a time or two when I couldn't make it to HQ that early, so I had to go around closing time and it was super empty. XD
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #506 on: July 10, 2019, 09:10:15 AM »
Got mine at 6:30AM. So to get a jump start to Con, can we drop by the Marriott on Wednesday night to get our first assignment and then get our Thursday badge?

I always get my volunteer badge on Wednesday.  Why waste con time?  So yes, you can and get an assignment for Thursday.  For pre-con shifters, Wednesday is also the first day you can pick up your badge.  Before that you'll be badgeless.

Offline debster

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 569
« Reply #507 on: July 18, 2019, 03:37:46 AM »
I completed a pre-con assignment and gave them my assignment ticket. I didn’t get any info on getting a volunteer t-shirt, did anyone else? The guy took both parts of my assignment ticket.

Offline admiral-lira

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 46
« Reply #508 on: July 18, 2019, 03:46:09 AM »
I completed a pre-con assignment and gave them my assignment ticket. I didn’t get any info on getting a volunteer t-shirt, did anyone else? The guy took both parts of my assignment ticket.
I think you have to complete a normal shift in order to redeem the T-shirt.

Offline debster

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 569
« Reply #509 on: July 18, 2019, 03:52:36 AM »
I think you have to complete a normal shift in order to redeem the T-shirt.

Ah, okay, thanks for the info!