Author Topic: FoCC Hotel Exchange 2019  (Read 19938 times)

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
FoCC Hotel Exchange 2019
« on: March 01, 2019, 07:13:29 AM »
UPDATE 3/19/19

Everyone who is eligible should go to the Hotel Exchange section and fill out the necessary information. The form to do so will be taken down with no notice shortly after the lottery date is announced.

UPDATE 3/12/19

The FoCC  SDCC 2019 Hotel Exchange section of the forum is now open. We strongly recommend that if you are interested in participating in the Hotel Exchange that you check out this area immediately. There is a form that needs to be filled out before the actual lottery takes place. For more details, please see the SDCC 2019 Hotel Exchange section of the forums.

Please note that the Hotel Exchange section is a private area of the forum that is only visible to eligible members. Eligibility has already been determined and was made based on members' activity levels. If you are not able to see the private area, then you did not meet the criteria. The list of eligible members will not be changed, and no more people will be added to the area for this year. To be a part of the Hotel Exchange next year, please remain on the forum and contribute, to become an active member.

It is not in the nature of FoCC to exclude people. The forums are open to all and we encourage new members to join. However, over the past few years we have noticed a trend of people coming to the forum only for the hotel exchange and this caused some serious security concerns, since there is a lot of private information involved in these exchanges. Our priority (and the reason the Hotel Exchange was created in the first place) is to give back to the active forum members who contribute to the community as a whole. We strongly encourage new members to stick around and become involved in everything else the forum has to offer. This site is a great resource of information for all things Comic Con, and as SDCC approaches there will be many threads about a wide variety of topics, from programming and offsites to cosplay and packing. You do not have to be a part of the Hotel Exchange to be a part of FoCC.

We understand that some may be disappointed to not be a part of the Hotel Exchange. We hope that you will stick around and be a part of the exchange with us next year.

Original Post

Even though we don't yet have a Hotel Lottery date, we have volunteers who are already preparing for the aftermath of the lottery.  As you know, for the past few years FoCC has hosted an exchange area where those who have an extra hotel room can offer it up to our community.  There are also trades of the hotel rooms received in the sale.  This becomes quite a bit of work for the volunteers who are managing the process! Our usual volunteers are unavailable this year, due to life circumstances, so we have a team of newer people taking on this massive project. As a result, some changes are being made to the process, in order to make things easier on the volunteers.

Our focus is to make this hotel exchange available to our FoCC members who are active in the forum throughout the year.  Therefore, the hotel exchange this year will be in a locked area of the website that is only available to active members.  Of course, everyone is expected to participate in the sale if they want to be a part of the exchange.  Make sure that you stay active on FoCC to be a part of this year’s hotel exchange!

More information on the exchange will be posted as the sale date approaches.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 10:52:24 AM by Transmute Jun »

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
  • Liked: 1750
Re: FoCC Hotel Exchange 2019
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 07:35:54 AM »
Thank you for the update and special thanks to the volunteers who are helping out.
Time and Relative Dimension in Space - 'TARDIS' for short

Editor-in-Chief of the FoCC Blog

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 03:19:10 PM »

Offline RustyPonds

• Gaming Lounge
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 263
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 11:09:10 AM »
I got a pit in my stomach just reading the post title. Freakin hotelpocalypse...

Offline JKingoftheNerds

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 145
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 11:41:26 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I got a pit in my stomach just reading the post title. Freakin hotelpocalypse...

SAME, tbh. I felt the stomach drop the moment I saw the title. *prayer circle for the luck of all FoCC members attending this year*

Offline Kmd2103

• Gaming Lounge
  • I don't like...I obsess
  • Liked: 83
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 02:44:57 PM »
Thank you for the update and special thanks to the volunteers who are helping out.
Concur with @DRWHO42! This forum is amazing, and we (users) forget the many hours put into it by volunteers!
SDCC 2013-2018 #gameofthrones #netflixoriginals #sherlocked

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 03:26:53 PM »

I've said this before, but compared to badge buying, my stress levels for hotels is much lower. With badge buying, if you're shut out, then you're shut out. Your chances of going to SDCC drop to near zero (unless you win a contest or happen to have a Professional or Exhibitor friend with extra pass). But with hotels, I've been shut out before, and yet I still ended up with a downtown hotel, thanks to friends and strangers who had extra rooms, or just being persistent in constantly checking for room availabilities and pouncing on them w/o a second's consideration. And this goes for room availabilities for 1-2 nights... I've had to switch hotels mid-SDCC. And you have to remember, you WILL get a hotel room, because there's always going to be availability, maybe not Downtown where most of us want to be, but definitely around Hotel Circle. So chances of being homeless for SDCC are near zero.

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 06:27:55 PM »
I've said this before, but compared to badge buying, my stress levels for hotels is much lower. With badge buying, if you're shut out, then you're shut out. Your chances of going to SDCC drop to near zero (unless you win a contest or happen to have a Professional or Exhibitor friend with extra pass). But with hotels, I've been shut out before, and yet I still ended up with a downtown hotel, thanks to friends and strangers who had extra rooms, or just being persistent in constantly checking for room availabilities and pouncing on them w/o a second's consideration. And this goes for room availabilities for 1-2 nights... I've had to switch hotels mid-SDCC. And you have to remember, you WILL get a hotel room, because there's always going to be availability, maybe not Downtown where most of us want to be, but definitely around Hotel Circle. So chances of being homeless for SDCC are near zero.

Agree 100%

That's my experience as well.

I stayed on Shelter Island my first year and the hotel was on the Shuttle route.  It was fine.   :)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 06:47:54 PM by sessionka »
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline Kmd2103

• Gaming Lounge
  • I don't like...I obsess
  • Liked: 83
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 06:29:37 PM »

Well-said! I've stayed at Hotel Circle, Harbor Island, and Downtown; each location has added to the SDCC experience in a different way!
SDCC 2013-2018 #gameofthrones #netflixoriginals #sherlocked

Offline ShannonCooper87

• Supporter
  • Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 65
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2019, 04:17:51 PM »

Our focus is to make this hotel exchange available to our FoCC members who are active in the forum throughout the year.  Therefore, the hotel exchange this year will be in a locked area of the website that is only available to active members.  Of course, everyone is expected to participate in the sale if they want to be a part of the exchange.  Make sure that you stay active on FoCC to be a part of this year’s hotel exchange!

More information on the exchange will be posted as the sale date approaches.

Curious what being active in the forum is, is it for example having a certain amount of post thought out the year? Just one post? Just checking the forum out?

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2019, 04:51:23 PM »
Shannon, it means having a presence here on the forum and contributing to the discussions.

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Crazy-Town Banana-Pants!
  • Liked: 684
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2019, 04:58:30 PM »
Indeed!

A major thank you to all!
Twitter: @ScottyTheWise

2014: SDCC, LBCC
2015: WC, SWCA, WW Sac., D23, LBCC, Comikaze
2016: SVCC, WC, SDCC
2017: ECCC, WC, SVCC, D23, SDCC
2018: WC, SVCC, E3, SDCC
2019: WC, SDCC, D23
2022: SWCA, SDCC, D23
2023: SDCC

Offline ShannonCooper87

• Supporter
  • Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 65
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2019, 05:02:52 PM »
Shannon, it means having a presence here on the forum and contributing to the discussions.

Thanks for that, I thought that might be the case.

And thank you to you and all the other volunteers who give up your time to help put these things in place.

Offline pegleg1204

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 29
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2019, 05:03:15 PM »
Thanks for the update.  I am dreading hotel apocalypse.  It is so stressful.  Haven’t been part of the exchange before but plan on doing it this year.  Last year I missed the sign up by two days. 

Offline TheNeck

• Hall H
  • Liked: 367
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2019, 08:55:35 PM »
thanks for the update TJ, and thanks to all the volunteers.

now that we have stayed downtown the last 3 years, my wife and daughter love being close, as do I. i too dread the hotelapocalypse. but at least i will be ready to go when it does happen. ;)
SDCC 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
SDCC Volunteer 2022, 2023
Fundays 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Wondercon 2015, 2018

Offline rodneytfreeman

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 69
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2019, 05:16:21 AM »
I'm grateful to the team of volunteers who run this. I haven't needed to use it, but I have been able to help someone when we went to SDCC our first year in 2016.
SDCC: 2016, 2019, 2020