Author Topic: Suggestions for Hotels with large rooms/suites  (Read 6230 times)

Offline Angie

• Ballroom 20
    • The NerdyGirl's Blog
  • Liked: 200
Suggestions for Hotels with large rooms/suites
« on: October 29, 2017, 06:59:12 PM »
I possibly have 6 people going with me to SDCC this year. I was wondering if any of you had experience with having that many people in one room, what hotel you stayed at, and what type of room did you get? Or would you suggest getting 2 rooms instead?

It seems the Hard Rock has some suites with couches available, but I couldn't find any others that seemed promising.

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 591
Re: Suggestions for Hotels with large rooms/suites
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 07:01:20 PM »
I’d think renting a house or apartment would be a better route to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 05:58:53 AM »

Offline geekyfamilyfriendly

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 07:52:44 AM »
Honestly, go to booking.com and look up whats avaiavle for your party. Do it now! Because they will start going fast, and thry are chepaest now, than they will be in a few months because open reg is going to happen by the end of the year.
I got a room for 4 and it should cost me about 1000, for 3 days, and it includes brekafast, granted my hotel is in hotel circle.

Offline draccy

• Sails Pavilion
  • I think therefore I nerd.
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 06:52:22 PM »
I think Air B&B is your best bet to make sure that you get a place big enough for 6. For a regular hotel room it's too many people. And for the hotel lottery, you have 0 guarantee that you'll get a suite.

Or do what geekyfamilyfriendly said.

Or you can go in on the hotel lottery and put in for 2 rooms, if your party's ok with being split (and spending more money on housing).

One of my friends somehow got half of a suite at the Manchester Grand Hyatt for her 4some last year, but it wasn't planned and kind of just happened when she checked in. That space would've fit 6 people without it being claustrophobic. But, again... she didn't request it or know it was happening. The hotel must've had a cancellation or something and they split up the living room space and bedroom space, and she got the bigger living room space and rollaway beds. But you can't count on that happening.

Offline susanml10881

• Hall H
  • Liked: 152
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 05:48:27 PM »
With that many, you may want to look into a rental with kitchen as suggested via Airbnb or the like. Hotel may be too cramped unless you're planning to like camp out for Hall H or something most days. Hotels usually cap the number of guests too although at con they are lax on it.

Offline Angie

• Ballroom 20
    • The NerdyGirl's Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 08:40:11 PM »
I've been looking at air b n b and the prices are too insane. People are asking $1100 a night. I think we may end up either trying to get a suite at Hard Rock (not likely, I know) or splitting into 2 rooms.

Offline lilredrubi74

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 141
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 06:45:43 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I've been looking at air b n b and the prices are too insane. People are asking $1100 a night. I think we may end up either trying to get a suite at Hard Rock (not likely, I know) or splitting into 2 rooms.
Have you looked at HomeAway? Sometimes the rates are more realistic on there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Violet

• Gaming Lounge
  • Gender Biased Reviews www.gbreviews.com
    • Gender Biased Reviews
  • Liked: 118
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 08:54:20 AM »
I'm surprised Embassy Suites hasn't been mentioned. I haven't stayed there, but you can get a room with 2 double beds that has a separate living room with a sofa bed.

Offline Angie

• Ballroom 20
    • The NerdyGirl's Blog
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 10:18:07 AM »
I will definitely look into embassy suites.

Has anyone ever tried for 2 rooms in the hotel sale under one submission? And if so, how did you do?

Offline Agoyo

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 30
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 10:38:40 AM »
I'm surprised Embassy Suites hasn't been mentioned. I haven't stayed there, but you can get a room with 2 double beds that has a separate living room with a sofa bed.

Embassy is definitely the best bet for having a bed for each person. 2 persons would have to go under the radar and not receive a bracelet for the happy hour and breakfast but that might not be a deal breaker for most.

Last year during the hotel sale the Manchester Grand Hyatt had a suite for $370 a night with free breakfast and warm snack food in the evenings.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 11:19:40 AM »
Has anyone ever tried for 2 rooms in the hotel sale under one submission? And if so, how did you do?

Yes, I do this every year. You just have to request 2 rooms on your lottery submission form. You will need the names of all occupants (just as you would for requesting only one room).

Offline Angie

• Ballroom 20
    • The NerdyGirl's Blog
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2017, 02:19:27 PM »
Yes, I do this every year. You just have to request 2 rooms on your lottery submission form. You will need the names of all occupants (just as you would for requesting only one room).

I am just worried about it hurting my chances of getting something downtown to request 2 rooms...but I guess if they go buy submission time it wouldn't matter any way.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2017, 04:23:53 PM »
I am just worried about it hurting my chances of getting something downtown to request 2 rooms...but I guess if they go buy submission time it wouldn't matter any way.

There is a *minor* chance it could hurt you. If you are requesting 2 rooms, and the hotel you want only has 1 room left, you'll miss out. But given that the hotel will have hundreds of rooms available, that's a pretty unlikely situation.

And yes, they go by submission times, so that's by far the more important factor.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 05:44:42 AM »
Embassy is definitely the best bet for having a bed for each person. 2 persons would have to go under the radar and not receive a bracelet for the happy hour and breakfast but that might not be a deal breaker for most.

[member=2705]Agoyo[/member] -They give out wrist bands for breakfast and happy hour?  This is the first time I've heard of that?  Do you get one for each day?  I have stayed at Marriott Residence Inns and they just...let you eat. lol.
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline waltbionik

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 100
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 07:48:18 PM »
I've stayed at the Embassy Suites with my brothers and cousins. 5 grown men easily fit into the 2 double-bed suite. There's also the new Springhill Suites. I stayed in one in Columbia, SC. It was pretty spacious and that may be another option.