Author Topic: San Diego Convention Center to House Immigrant Children  (Read 2576 times)

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
San Diego Convention Center to House Immigrant Children
« on: March 22, 2021, 03:17:37 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Regardless of whatever personal views people may have regarding illegal/undocumented immigration, this worries me, because the issue is not going away anytime soon. Now I'm wondering if SDCC will be able to use the convention center in November.

Anyone local to San Diego have any insight on this?

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
Re: San Diego Convention Center to House Immigrant Children
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 04:21:59 PM »

Regardless of whatever personal views people may have regarding illegal/undocumented immigration, this worries me, because the issue is not going away anytime soon. Now I'm wondering if SDCC will be able to use the convention center in November.

at some point the convention center will have to resume it's purpose of bringing tourist dollars into SD. The businesses will not stand for the convention center being repurposed as a shelter when herd immunity is achieved. That would be the complete antithesis of 'give a man a fish, teach him to fish' story.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 08:15:55 AM »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 06:04:32 PM »
I don't see how this is a problem.  There won't be conventions at SDCC for months at best.  Having an event there in November is far from certain.  A large portion of the population has vowed not to get vaccinated.  Unless they change their minds, we won't hit herd immunity anytime soon.  It'll have to happen the old fashion way, that will take some time at great cost.

Even if comic-con was happening next month, I wouldn't be concerned.  If there's anything that a convention center is good at is moving on to the next event.  Sometimes I see convention centers setting up for the next event even before the current event is over.  I saw this at comic-con once.  This was only a couple of hours before it ended, but they were putting up the signage for the convention that would be there the next day.  Just think of housing children in need as a convention.  I wouldn't think twice about whether a convention could be held in 7 months just because there's another one going on now.

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 07:44:41 PM »

I don't live in San Diego, but based on what I read, this looks like revenue for the city, which I'm sure would be welcome.  If they stick with the timeline, it'll be ready for whatever CCI has in store for us in November.  Just speculation on my part.
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2021, 08:14:12 PM »
I appreciate the perspective. All I saw (from out of town) was how long the homeless were living in the convention center, and extrapolated the same amount. If you guys are confident that the center will be available for the November con, then I will trust in your (more experienced) opinions. ;)

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2021, 09:20:44 PM »
I think the homeless shelter kept on getting extended because nothing else was going to happen at the convention center anytime soon.
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2021, 05:33:03 AM »
I don't see how this is a problem.  There won't be conventions at SDCC for months at best.  Having an event there in November is far from certain.  A large portion of the population has vowed not to get vaccinated.  Unless they change their minds, we won't hit herd immunity anytime soon.  It'll have to happen the old fashion way, that will take some time at great cost.

Even if comic-con was happening next month, I wouldn't be concerned.  If there's anything that a convention center is good at is moving on to the next event.  Sometimes I see convention centers setting up for the next event even before the current event is over.  I saw this at comic-con once.  This was only a couple of hours before it ended, but they were putting up the signage for the convention that would be there the next day.  Just think of housing children in need as a convention.  I wouldn't think twice about whether a convention could be held in 7 months just because there's another one going on now.

good points
i guess the central issues will be the timing of herd immunity and the pivot from shelter to 'open for business'
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2021, 07:15:23 AM »
I think the issue will be holding the government to their time line.  The article said each child would be there 30-35 days.  There's no end date, and the federal government is not known for its efficiency.  Just sayin'....
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2021, 07:44:50 AM »
I think the issue will be holding the government to their time line.  The article said each child would be there 30-35 days.  There's no end date, and the federal government is not known for its efficiency.  Just sayin'....
my fear **exactly**
San Diego **needs** the convention center traffic for income. Frankly, imho, our recovery depends on it>

i want to be helpful to kids- that goes without saying but SD needs the convention center to do it's business.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2021, 12:03:35 PM »
I'm not concerned.  The effort to house the homeless at the convention center didn't end because they needed the convention center back.  It ended because they no longer needed the shelter.  No one was put on the street when the SDCC shelter closed.  The population had shrunk so much there that they could be housed elsewhere.  A lot of that had to do with many people being placed into permanent housing during the time the shelter was open.

The government, both local and federal, have every motivation to find better places for these children to live.  No one wants them warehoused.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2021, 05:16:03 PM »
1. I know who's developing education curriculum for the children  ;D
2. The 'next'/first scheduled event at the SD Convention Center is Aug. 2 - over 4 months from now.

While our government doesn't typically move fast (or do they: vaccination rollout has been pretty expeditious, I think?), the convention center does.  If the migrant children weren't being housed in the SD convention center, it would _STILL_ remain empty until at least the first week of August: so it's not like the city is losing money with this current plan.  I sincerely doubt the city will continue to hobble one of its largest money-makers for a likely unpopular reason: it would be a political-killer for city leadership.  If for no other reason, the mayor will not impede economic and local business recovery (when the city is ready) for Federal government migrant housing because I suspect he'd like to win a 2nd term (and/or not be recalled by GOP nutballs)

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2021, 02:14:55 PM »
NY Times interviews the mayor of San Diego.  I saw this on twitter.

Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2021, 04:18:51 PM »

FWIW while each child is one a time line (that seems to be being followed 'strictly' from what I've been told), the children are coming and going constantly: being flown in from all over the country and taken out as they are connected with families.  AFAIK the timetable of how long this will continue at the SD Convention Center, there are still dates the first weekend of Aug. on the calendar & since that's a paid private event I suspect no one wants to cut off cash flow to the con. center or kickstarting the local economy