Author Topic: WONDERCON Badges go on sale January 2013!  (Read 21606 times)

Yzrfan

WONDERCON Badges go on sale January 2013!
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 12:29:32 PM »
True ill be all giddy when they go on sale. I know badges shouldn't sell out, but still worry about it

Offline karatekid

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 149
Re: WONDERCON Badges go on sale January 2013!
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 02:21:29 PM »
Wondercon badges have NEVER sold out .... except 2 years ago Saturday sold out literally a day or two before. So you were not able to buy at the door on Saturday but assuming you had at least planned a day or two in advance you were good. Now, that was WonderCon in Moscone Center in SF. Who knows about Anaheim. I imagine there might be a few more that go, but Anaheim Convention Center is also larger so can accommodate more. I imagine I'll buy a pass earlier than later but I won't be counting down to ticket sales like I do with Comic Con.
"Wax On, Wax Off"

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 03:39:06 AM »

Yzrfan

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 02:35:59 PM »
I hope you're right. I think the reason why some are concerned, including myself, is new closer proximity to Hollywood and major studios. And also with all the new hype for SDCC, how many times has it been mentioned on BBT and other shows and in countless interviews (how many times have you seen the SDCC eye in the background of an interview). Add in the new struggle it is to purchase badges for the big show. Plus for me SDCC and WC are my World Series, Superbowl,
MBA finals, and Stanley cup finals all rolled up in one. Just concerned about the unknown and assuming worst case scenario. I'm off my soapbox.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9691
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 08:36:59 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I hope you're right. I think the reason why some are concerned, including myself, is new closer proximity to Hollywood and major studios.

Although that wasn't an issue last year, when it was also held in Anaheim.

Yzrfan

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 11:13:31 AM »
True, but it was also the first year there and no one really knew about it.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2013, 08:26:51 AM »
True, but it was also the first year there and no one really knew about it.

Interesting. Why do you say no one knew about it? From my perspective (northern CA) everyone knew about it. Why do you think more people 'know' this year?

Yzrfan

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 08:51:04 AM »
Because with all the added press about the cons and with it being in Southern California, the Mecca of entertainment, the word has been getting out. From my understanding comikaze was kind of small the first year, but this year there was a good sized crowd. And also with the Avengers coming out and making a billion dollars and the "pop culture" being the new trendy thing, it's getting more people interested in the cons. Heck I was reading an article with Jamie Foxx on the Huffington Post, about Django, and he was talking about his experience at SDCC. I just think its accessible to more people down here and more people will be going to just say they've been a part of it. I'm sorry if I offended people by the comment but I'm just voicing how I see things.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2013, 11:17:48 AM »
I'm sorry if I offended people by the comment but I'm just voicing how I see things.

Oh, I'm not offended at all. I'm just interested, because I don't see it that way at all. From my POV, the media has been all over the cons (SDCC and others) for years now, and WonderCon, while fun, doesn't have nearly the glitz and dazzle of SDCC. I'm just not convinced there will be that much of a rush to attend. Sure, attendance will likely go up (it has every year, I believe) but I'm not anticipating sellout badges within days or anything.

OTOH, I'm not down in Southern CA, so your perspective of what's happening there is certainly valid. I guess we'll have to just wait and see what happens! ;)

Yzrfan

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2013, 11:24:04 AM »
Yes we do

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 6995
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2013, 12:49:20 PM »
badges will go on sale on Jan 22
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Yzrfan

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2013, 01:38:00 PM »
Thanks for the info

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2013, 07:38:28 AM »
Good to know! Thanks, Alyssa!

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2013, 12:04:29 PM »
WonderCOn badges are on sale now!

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1766
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2013, 01:38:33 PM »
Interesting. Why do you say no one knew about it? From my perspective (northern CA) everyone knew about it. Why do you think more people 'know' this year?

Last year, I think it's possible that the casual fan (whom I would bet are the majority of attendees at WonderCon) might not have been "looking" for it to be in Anaheim, if that makes sense.  For me personally, I live in San Diego and had never been to WonderCon before last year.  I've been going to Comic-Con for well over a decade, and have known about WonderCon's existence, but always associated it with San Francisco.  I knew there were construction issues, but a year/year-and-a-half ago I still assumed it was a No CA thing.  Once I started paying attention more to CCI on social media (here, twitter, facebook pages) last year, I was a little surprised to see the "there's construction, it won't be done in time so WonderCon will be in Anaheim" announcement.  I bought a pass (I think I bought it sometime in late February, maybe early March), went to WonderCon, and had a blast!

This year, now that WonderCon has been in Anaheim, I think more people will be looking for it to be in Anaheim.  Maybe Con-goers in So CA last year just thought of WonderCon as a No CA thing, and are now anxiously awaiting it to come back to Anaheim.  I know that's the case with me.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2013, 01:43:22 PM »
That's certainly a reasonable explanation, Perc!