Author Topic: WONDERCON Badges go on sale January 2013!  (Read 21604 times)

Offline karatekid

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 149
Re: WONDERCON Badges go on sale January 2013!
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2013, 02:01:47 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Last year, I think it's possible that the casual fan (whom I would bet are the majority of attendees at WonderCon) might not have been "looking" for it to be in Anaheim, if that makes sense.  For me personally, I live in San Diego and had never been to WonderCon before last year.  I've been going to Comic-Con for well over a decade, and have known about WonderCon's existence, but always associated it with San Francisco.  I knew there were construction issues, but a year/year-and-a-half ago I still assumed it was a No CA thing.  Once I started paying attention more to CCI on social media (here, twitter, facebook pages) last year, I was a little surprised to see the "there's construction, it won't be done in time so WonderCon will be in Anaheim" announcement.  I bought a pass (I think I bought it sometime in late February, maybe early March), went to WonderCon, and had a blast!

This year, now that WonderCon has been in Anaheim, I think more people will be looking for it to be in Anaheim.  Maybe Con-goers in So CA last year just thought of WonderCon as a No CA thing, and are now anxiously awaiting it to come back to Anaheim.  I know that's the case with me.

Intentionally or not, you're getting close to bring up the whole NorCal SoCal Wondercon bad vibe and controversy. I'm over it ... I really am! I have my 3 day pass and hopefully will be able to attend, visit family and have fun.
"Wax On, Wax Off"

Yzrfan

WONDERCON Badges go on sale January 2013!
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2013, 04:14:35 PM »
Sounds like its a win win for you. Get to go to an awesome con and see the family too.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 07:35:41 PM »

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 828
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2013, 04:24:10 PM »
WonderCOn badges are on sale now!

I got the E-mail pretty late.  It was sent out to me at 3:48pm PST, but I didn't get it until 4pm PST:

WonderCon Anaheim, one of the country's most exciting comics and popular arts conventions, will take place the weekend of March 29 - 31 (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday), at the beautiful Anaheim Convention Center. In addition to the Exhibit Hall, featuring comics and merchandise from many popular artists and retailers, fans can expect exclusive programming from the top comics publishers in the country, movie and television panels, anime, autographs, games, the Masquerade, and portfolio review. The Anaheim Convention Center is also within easy walking distance to Disneyland's free Downtown Disney district and The Shops at Anaheim Gardenwalk, making it an ideal location for a long weekend visit. WonderCon Anaheim offers the complete convention experience!

➢   WonderCon Anaheim 2013 badges are on sale now! Take advantage of our online registration discount by visiting You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login today. Purchasing a WonderCon Anaheim badge in advance will save you both time and money! All Friday and 3-day preregistered badges may be picked up early on Thursday, March 28 from 12:00 to 7:00 pm.

➢   New for 2013! Anyone who wishes to purchase, apply, or register for a WonderCon Anaheim badge must sign up for a Comic-Con Member ID.  A Comic-Con Member ID is free and available to all adult and junior (age 13 to 17) attendees with a valid and unique email address. Children (age 12 and under) may not register for a Comic-Con Member ID. You may register children onsite for free at the Attendee Registration Area in Exhibit Hall AB if accompanied by a paying adult. Visit You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login for more information.

We sincerely hope you will join us for WonderCon Anaheim 2013. For more information on WonderCon Anaheim exhibitors, programming, exclusives, and special guests, please visit You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Please check our website for WonderCon Anaheim hotel information.

Sincerely,

WonderCon Anaheim & Comic-Con International

Just purchased my 3-day badge.  It didn't take long for me to get in unlike a certain other event.

Jeez, I wish purchasing badges from the San Diego Comic-Con were THAT easy!
WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Yzrfan

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2013, 04:30:31 PM »
One time they were. Even though you got the email late, it was still easy to get badges for WC?

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 828
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2013, 04:39:31 PM »
One time they were.

Yep, before I even heard of Comic-Con!

Even though you got the email late, it was still easy to get badges for WC?

It was for me!  My guess is the only way WC would sell out fast if CCI manages to get some really high-profile A-listers before the show.
WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Yzrfan

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2013, 04:53:12 PM »
They already announced the premier of the new superman so I'm sure more big announcements will follow.

Yzrfan

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2013, 07:43:07 AM »
I don't think that last years badge sales made it to the LA Times.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1766
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2013, 03:28:33 PM »
Intentionally or not, you're getting close to bring up the whole NorCal SoCal Wondercon bad vibe and controversy. I'm over it ... I really am! I have my 3 day pass and hopefully will be able to attend, visit family and have fun.

I'm with you: definitely not trying to stir up anything, or even drudge up the NorCA vs SoCA crap

Yzrfan

« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2013, 05:52:31 PM »
Who cares north vs south. It's not the civil war. Each place has its things. The north has the Bay Area and Rancho Obi Wan and the south had WC and SDCC! Just messing. Where ever the con is us nerds will travel.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 6995
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2013, 07:16:03 PM »
it really sounds as tho cci wants to get a fall con going in nor cal....iirc, we were calling it wonderCon north
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Khaaaaaaanh!!!

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2013, 08:28:41 PM »
it really sounds as tho cci wants to get a fall con going in nor cal....iirc, we were calling it wonderCon north

Yes and this event is labeled as WonderCon Anaheim so it looks like this one is here to stay so perhaps APE will be expanded to be a more traditional event.
...you had me at hello...

New to the forum? Look here!

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9690
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2013, 09:09:19 AM »
Yes and this event is labeled as WonderCon Anaheim so it looks like this one is here to stay so perhaps APE will be expanded to be a more traditional event.

My first instinct is to say 'the more Cons, the better', but I'm wondering if CCI could keep both cons (and SDCC) filled with high quality guests/panels.

Offline karatekid

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 149
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2013, 01:42:42 PM »
My first instinct is to say 'the more Cons, the better', but I'm wondering if CCI could keep both cons (and SDCC) filled with high quality guests/panels.

I totally concur. WonderCon is unquestionably a few steps below SDCC with programming, guests, vendors, etc. However, it's steps ahead of pretty much all the other cons. So a third mainstream con by CCI would likely be spreading it pretty thin to a point where it would likely be a step or two below WonderCon. At that point, it might as well be a Wizard World or similar. I'd still go because I'm a fan, but I think you'd have to be realistic of your expectations.

Now I do see a scenario if they timed it out strategically, maybe there's hope. If they put it just before the Thanksgiving rush, I could see there being guests/panels that cover the movies that come out during that popular time like Hunger Games and Hobbit, even Wreck It Ralph and Twilight (sorry) got released during that stretch. I could also see maybe some vendors showing up to capitalize on the holiday spending. Hmmm...maybe it could work?! Late October or early November?  ???

I'd rather WonderCon just come back to Moscone though!  ;)   
"Wax On, Wax Off"

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1766
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2013, 03:09:36 PM »
Now I do see a scenario if they timed it out strategically, maybe there's hope. If they put it just before the Thanksgiving rush, I could see there being guests/panels that cover the movies that come out during that popular time like Hunger Games and Hobbit, even Wreck It Ralph and Twilight (sorry) got released during that stretch. I could also see maybe some vendors showing up to capitalize on the holiday spending. Hmmm...maybe it could work?! Late October or early November?  ???

I'd rather WonderCon just come back to Moscone though!  ;)

That's the real trick, right: when to put the "new" Con.  When is APE?  Is APE different enough to not clash with a WonderCon North?

I personally think WonderCon doesn't need to necessarily cater to Hollywood.  It's OK if WonderCon is mostly comics with some movie & TV panels, but I think there's nothing wrong with WonderCon not have a star-studded, lots-of-Hollywood-panels/presence line-up.  Leave Comic-Con to cater to all aspects of pop-culture, & WonderCon can be it's own thing.

Kinda weird, though: with my argument above, WonderCon would really be a better name for the summer Con, and Comic-Con would be a more fitting name for the winter & fall Cons  :P

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9690
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2013, 04:29:41 PM »
APE is Alternative Press Expo. It's small press publishers/comics. I don't think there would be too much of a clash with WonderCon, although it could easily be integrated into a joint Con.