Author Topic: THOR/SUPERNATURAL  (Read 7518 times)

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
  • Liked: 1750
THOR/SUPERNATURAL
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2014, 11:28:48 AM »
Sorry but I have a different opinion. SDCC is the place to be for me if you want to see your favorite star(s) all in one place. Autographs may be rushed but there is time for pleasantries and a possible picture with them. Creation is good but autographs come at a price. Here is a partial list of the show casts I was able to score autographs from over 2 years:
Strike Back - also bumped into them on the exhibit hall floor and got a picture with them
Orphan Black - got a picture with them
Guillermo del Toro - also got a picture with him
Fringe
How I met your mother - had a chance to chat with NPH for a brief moment
Nikita - good chat with Maggie Q
Main cast from Godzilla
Elementary - finally had a chance to meet LL and JLM in person
Doctor Who - 2012
Almost Human
Intelligence - a bit rushed but had a chance to chat with Marg for a few seconds
....and these were all free

This year I will try for Supernatural
Time and Relative Dimension in Space - 'TARDIS' for short

Editor-in-Chief of the FoCC Blog

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
Re: THOR/SUPERNATURAL
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2014, 11:44:09 AM »
I agree with DRWHO_42. Granted, it's all about being at the right place at the right time but at a Creation event, you better be ready to shell out $$$ to meet those celebs. It's not like you can just walk up to them at those Cons.

At SDCC, I've never felt rushed during an autograph signing. I was able to chat with "Abbie" from NCIS and tell her about the time I dressed up like her for Halloween. I chatted with Sam Witwer from Being Human on the sidewalk about Dexter. Hell, I can't even tell you how many times I've had a chat with Zac Levi, dude is every where. And guess what? None of these cost money.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 12:27:40 PM »

angel_k

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2014, 12:27:58 PM »
I've found that off site events are great for meeting celebs.  :)  Geek & Sundry was great.  Celebrities just sort of popped in at random and then a bunch showed up for the open party.  I definitely recommend it, especially if you want to meet celebrities who are friends with Felicia Day (so like the Joss Whedon crew essentially).  I also just recommend that place in general because it's hella fun.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2014, 12:37:56 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I agree with DRWHO_42. Granted, it's all about being at the right place at the right time but at a Creation event, you better be ready to shell out $$$ to meet those celebs. It's not like you can just walk up to them at those Cons.

I've only ever been to the Star Trek Creation cons, but it is actually very easy to 'run into' the celebs and just talk. Yes, they charge for autographs and photos, but if they're not busy they're happy to chat. I've even had a couple call out to me and one who 'chased me down' because he liked my costume! Last August my husband struck up a random conversation with Richard Hatch and they talked for an hour about random stuff. Yeah, when Karl Urban, Alice Eve, William Shatner, Jeri Ryan, etc. are around they are so busy they only have time for the 'paid people', but the vast majority of guests love talking to fans. That's why they're there.

Offline dolphina

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Live Long and Prosper
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2014, 12:38:24 PM »
This will be my 2nd SDCC and I will venture out more this year and Geek & Sundry will definitely be on my "to do" list.
A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting”

Wondercon, SDCC, Comikazi, Blizzcon, SWCA, D23

Offline angi

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 73
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2014, 12:40:29 PM »
Yes, and after waiting in line, doing a lottery, or pure luck you can get those things.   Right place, right time.  How many people get that?  Not many.  SDCC is huge and the actors really are not that accessible unless...you're lucky or know where to look (and you're not going to meet "A" listers, sorry).

I was more or less trying to specifically address what the OP was asking for.  She wants to meet or get a chance of seeing these guys up close.  Her chances are slim at SDCC.  She is asking about two specific sets of actors.  My suggestion if she wants to see Supernatural actors up close, go to a con that is Supernatural specific.  I took my sister to one of those because she is a big Jared fan and we were in "ok" seats and maybe 15-20 feet from the actors vs. camping out for Hall H to sit and watch them on a screen?  She seems to be looking for a more personal or up close experience.  Do you have to pay at a creation con?  Yes, but seriously, I took my sister to one of those and there were maybe a thousand people in the room.  Jared jumped into the audience.  It's a much more intimate setting vs Hall H.  Also, not everyone is looking for "free."  Many people have no problem spending $50 for a autograph or picture with their favorite actor.

As for THOR, I kind of think she is SOL this year on that one. 

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2014, 12:53:00 PM »
I used to go to Creation events year (years) ago but there are none really in my area anymore. They are only focused on specific shows or genres but SDCC is such a wide demographic you certainly will have your pick of the litter.

There are also Tumblr meetups that are scheduled within a few weeks of the con that is another opportunity to meet or see some celebs. I missed the Amazing Spider-Man meetup due to a schedule conflict and could not attend the Sleepy Hollow meetup but from what I heard there were both really good. Nerd HQ (as some already pointed out on this and other threads) is a good place to hang out and see some folks. I saw Vin Diesel pull up before his panel and had a chance to shout my props - he waved back.

Lat thought - you may bump into a celeb at a party or bar. Last year I was sitting next to Luke Wilson at a party and had a chance to share a drink and give him some props. Also even though I was not a fan of Teen Wolf I chatted with the some of the cast at the same party. They were all chill.

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2014, 12:57:05 PM »
I recommend NerdHQ for Supernatural. Granted, it's just J&J but it's only 250 people there and it's so laid back.

angel_k

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2014, 01:01:01 PM »
Yeah, Supernatural will be easier to meet people with than anything Marvel related.  Keep in mind Felicia Day is technically a Supernatural cast member and she RUNS Geek & Sundry so you have a super high chance of meeting her.  And Jared will most likely be at Nerd HQ and possibly Jensen.  Much smaller venue.  And Misha is almost always trolling around doing stuff.   At Nerd HQ you might not get one on one time, but you're in a smaller venue.  Much more intimate than even a Creation convention.  The only problem is nabbing tickets for it.  So while I definitely agree with you, angi, that it's not ideal or super easy, it's not impossible to meet these guys.

Offline angi

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 73
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2014, 01:20:45 PM »
I think maybe I am being misunderstood.  I am by no means saying she can't or won't see the Supernatural cast as SDCC.  There are ways to do it, but nothing is guaranteed.  I guess what I am getting at is if she wants a guaranteed event, go to a con specific to that show.  That's all :)

Like, I am not going to go to SDCC just for Doctor Who.  If I want Who only, I go to a Who con.  SDCC is like a big buffet.  You might not get exactly what you want, but you get a lot of everything. So she might try for her main interests but there's so much more.

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2014, 03:58:43 PM »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think maybe I am being misunderstood.  I am by no means saying she can't or won't see the Supernatural cast as SDCC.  There are ways to do it, but nothing is guaranteed.  I guess what I am getting at is if she wants a guaranteed event, go to a con specific to that show.  That's all :)

Like, I am not going to go to SDCC just for Doctor Who.  If I want Who only, I go to a Who con.  SDCC is like a big buffet.  You might not get exactly what you want, but you get a lot of everything. So she might try for her main interests but there's so much more.
Understood and agreed with regard to a SN specific con. Since Marvel is in this mix I addressed it in a broader aspect.

Offline jujubaSD

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 67
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2014, 05:55:15 PM »
Jared and Zachary Levi are practically putting it out there that they'll be back for NerdHQ. And Jared has been well known to pop into parties for sure. But of course, like it was stated, nothing is guaranteed at SDCC anymore just because of the sheer size of it now.

It's always a hard choice. Take a chance at SDCC where your chances are slim? Or pay nearly $150 (with unreserved seats) for a SN convention plus maybe an additional $300-$400 for a photo-op + autograph.

I'm not diehard enough to ever justify that much money for a 100% chance. Especially since I would have to also insert hotel and travel fees. If I had the money I'd be ok with it hahahah But, alas, I don't :( Especially since I've met many celebrities during Con week, regardless if I'm attending or not.

Thor is almost definitely out of the question. Marvel has already stated that their push this year is GOTG (from panels to collectibles). But next year they're slated for A2: Age of Ultron and Ant-Man. However the release date for Avengers 2 is pre-SDCC. So unless they push back the release date for Avengers 2 OR they're sharing some of the glory with GOTG...then there's still a small chance that at least Hemsworth might appear on the panel. I wouldn't be hopeful on it. But I also wouldn't completely eliminate the possibility of a few Avengers showing up as surprise guests.

angel_k

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2014, 06:26:41 PM »
Yeah I was wondering about that.  GOTG was at the Marvel panel last year and then it doesn't come out until about a week after SDCC this year so it'll have attended TWO cons.  I think it's possible that Avengers will be at this year's Marvel panel even though it doesn't come out until 2015.  It might be a super bloated panel, though.  Especially since GOTG is, like, RIGHT after the convention.  They might want to focus it more on that instead of just having a general Marvel panel.  This is all just speculation, though.  It's tricky with Marvel stuff because there's just SO MUCH.  I honestly think they should have multiple movie panels.  But that's just my opinion.  *shrug*

Offline jujubaSD

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 67
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2014, 06:58:42 PM »
Super bloated panel. I also forgot that I highly doubt that they would leave Ant-Man untouched since they've just recently revealed more about casting. I'm sure they'll want to leave some kind of reveal for that this year since it's slated for July 2015. Ah. It's starting to get just as hard to keep up with the movies and the rights to characters and movies, as it is to keep up with the discontinuity of the actual comics! *dead* o.O lol

angel_k

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2014, 07:21:53 PM »
oh god yeah I forgot about Ant-man too.  They really need to have at least two panels, maybe three.  I mean, there's enough material to fill up that much time.  But I guess it wouldn't be fair to other studios if one franchise monopolizes the room for the better part of a day.  It could support it as far as material goes.  I mean these are all individual movies with lots to say about them all.  But a bunch of people want their stuff in Hall H.  They have to share.  :/

Just give them an entire day lol.  "It's Marvel Day in Hall H guys let's goooooooo"