Author Topic: Marvel Studios no-show for SDCC 2015  (Read 18737 times)

Offline tweetygal

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 59
Re: Marvel Studios no-show for SDCC 2015
« Reply #135 on: June 18, 2015, 02:04:07 PM »
Rats. Now I have to decide between Game of Thrones & AoS/Agent Carter. GAH.

Offline DaveG

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 552
« Reply #136 on: June 18, 2015, 02:44:02 PM »
I have the same dilemma, but will likely go for Agent Carter/Agents of SHIELD for two reasons. 
1.  The crowd for B20 won't be as bad as Hall H.  I'll still camp overnight, but don't think I need to start mid-afternoon the day before like I would for Hall H.
2.  I've been to GoT panel the last 4 years.  I think I can miss it this once.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #137 on: Today at 02:43:59 AM »

Offline catvonawesome

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 359
« Reply #137 on: June 18, 2015, 04:25:19 PM »
I was planning a day in B20 for Friday anyway, but this is definitely changing how early I planned to get in that line. Do not want to camp out.
Do these tacos taste funny to you?

Offline tweetygal

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #138 on: June 18, 2015, 05:23:19 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I have the same dilemma, but will likely go for Agent Carter/Agents of SHIELD for two reasons. 
1.  The crowd for B20 won't be as bad as Hall H.  I'll still camp overnight, but don't think I need to start mid-afternoon the day before like I would for Hall H.

The Fri Hall H line certainly is daunting but I just got into Game of Thrones and am quite eager to see the cast.  And I did attend the very first AoS panel. Hopefully it'll be easier making a choice once the full schedule is released.

Offline DaveG

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
« Reply #139 on: June 18, 2015, 06:41:20 PM »
If I hadn't seen the GoT panel before, that would have been my first choice.  HBO swag is the best.  They're one of the few networks that even bother with swag for their panels.

Offline susanml10881

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 130
« Reply #140 on: June 18, 2015, 06:59:06 PM »

Yep, B20 is going to be significantly easier to get into than Hall H this year looking at the programming.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Buying Group Coordinator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 7785
« Reply #141 on: June 19, 2015, 06:12:36 AM »
If I hadn't seen the GoT panel before, that would have been my first choice.  HBO swag is the best.  They're one of the few networks that even bother with swag for their panels.

I believe Syfy has given out swag too at their panels, but ITA that the GoT swag is excellent.

Offline tweetygal

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #142 on: June 19, 2015, 06:51:55 AM »
Would GoT still be worth it if it's the only panel in in the Fri Hall H line up I care about so far? Lol I am terrified.

Offline Car_Low

• Hall H
  • Liked: 476
« Reply #143 on: June 19, 2015, 06:56:08 AM »
Would GoT still be worth it if it's the only panel in in the Fri Hall H line up I care about so far? Lol I am terrified.

If you're willing to brave the Star Wars line. Only you can decide if your time is worth it. IMO the craziness of Star Wars being the same day won't be worth it for just GOT. There won't be much to show for GOT anyways.

Offline DaveG

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
« Reply #144 on: June 19, 2015, 06:59:55 AM »
The GoT panel is always entertaining, but they never really have anything to show regarding the following season.  I also doubt now that they're expanding into unpublished territory that they'll give much away plotwise.  But they do bring a lot of the cast and tell some funny and interesting stories.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Buying Group Coordinator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 7785
« Reply #145 on: June 19, 2015, 09:00:07 AM »
The GoT panel is always entertaining, but they never really have anything to show regarding the following season.  I also doubt now that they're expanding into unpublished territory that they'll give much away plotwise.  But they do bring a lot of the cast and tell some funny and interesting stories.

OTOH, you can see that at the playback. There's no line for the playback.

Offline DaveG

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
« Reply #146 on: June 19, 2015, 09:33:22 AM »
My general philosophy around panels is this.  The only reasons to attend a panel in person are 1. The feel of "being there", like a sporting event and 2. Pictures.  You can get #1 from anywhere in the room.  You can only get #2 if you have a good seat (i.e. camp out overnight) and/or a really good camera. 

If you're there for juicy information or stories, check twitter, it'll be posted seconds after announced.  Go to the playback or check you tube if you need to see it.  If you're there for exclusive footage, 90% of it will be released by the studio or network within days after the panel.  You might also find some lilegal footage on you tube.

I go for both #1 and #2, which is why I camp out.  I've gotten some good pictures over the years and have friends who say they see SDCC vicariously through my pictures.  Some will be disappointed if I don't have GoT or TWD pictures this year, but others will be very happy if I make up for it with Agents of SHIELD/Agent Carter pictures.

Other people may have other reasons for attending, but these are mine.

Offline mlgagne

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • By what right does the wolf judge the lion?
    • FoCC Blog Articles - mlgagne
  • Liked: 881
« Reply #147 on: June 19, 2015, 09:42:55 AM »

I really want to see the GOT panel because I'm so invested in the cast (I'm one of those people who goes out of their way to see their other films/projects because I enjoy them all). I just really want to see them in person! Though I suppose if Hall H ends up being too insane to bear, I may decide to try for autographs instead. We shall see...
SDCC: 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019
WonderCon: 2017 | 2018 | 2019
NYCC: 2012 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016
Walker Stalker Con: 2015 (San Diego) | 2017 (Atlanta)

Offline NYRider

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 179
« Reply #148 on: June 24, 2015, 11:40:22 AM »
The answer:

"Why isn't Marvel going to Comic-Con this year?

KEVIN FEIGE It was just timing. We had done that [media] event in October, when we announced so much. Everyone knows what we're doing over the next few years. I really have a belief: If you can't go to Comic-Con and overdeliver, then don't go"

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1029
« Reply #149 on: June 24, 2015, 01:20:41 PM »
The answer:

"Why isn't Marvel going to Comic-Con this year?

KEVIN FEIGE It was just timing. We had done that [media] event in October, when we announced so much. Everyone knows what we're doing over the next few years. I really have a belief: If you can't go to Comic-Con and overdeliver, then don't go"

And if there is no Marvel Studios panel at D23 Expo I'll buy this.  CIVIL WAR has been shooting for almost two months now, Spider-man was officially cast/announced today (and is reporting to set ASAP), and with the ginormous cast in the film there's no way that panel would NOT over deliver!  Having seen Marvel Studios over-deliver every panel they've presented except 2013, including screening an edited scene from CAPTAIN AMERICA when the film had been shooting less than a week, I still think the more likely answer is Disney is holding back for D23: especially with Star Wars & popular TV shows presenting at Comic-Con, Marvel Studios would be the big "exclusive" draw. 
I have no problem giving Kevin F the benefit of the doubt, even if he is infamously well-known for flat-out lying to the press/public when it suits Marvel Studios' needs.  But if there is a Marvel Studios panel at D23 I'll be calling BS

Of course, NONE of this really matters: there are already a plethora of great panels announced, with more to be known when the schedule goes live in a few days.  While this is a kind of an interesting story (Marvel Studios skipping Comic-Con for only the second time), all it really does is take attention away from all of the great stuff that WILL be in San Diego in two weeks.  Kevin has to be smiling like crazy at the amount of press NOT going to Comic-Con has generated for Marvel Studios: like, Marvel Studios is so huge that there lack-of-presence at Comic-Con is a big detriment.  I don't blame Marvel for sitting out Comic-Con, even if it's to benefit Disney's D23 Expo.  I'll have a great time at Comic-Con regardless of a huge Marvel panel.
I suspect Marvel will feel the need to return to Comic-Con to promote the heck out of DR. STRANGE, BLACK PANTHER, and some of their other unestablished projects coming out soon.  If Latino Review is correct that Affleck is directing a BATMAN film to open the same month as Marvel's CAPTAIN MARVEL, Marvel Studios will have a serious concern that their film will be far overshadowed by the immense popularity of Batman (especially if the other WB films do well leading up to The Batman in 2018).