Author Topic: Marvel Studios no-show for SDCC 2015  (Read 34218 times)

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
Re: Marvel Studios no-show for SDCC 2015
« Reply #120 on: June 11, 2015, 01:52:05 PM »
I buy it. They just don't have enough to bring the wow factor this year. Best not come than to be compared negatively to DC. They will ready something in time for D23 I'm sure and there will be no competition there.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #121 on: June 11, 2015, 01:53:50 PM »
Marvel bailed the last time there was a D23 and they are doing it again the year there is a D23.   I do not think anything is going on here.

This is the same Marvel/DC debate that has been going on for decades.  People need a scoreboard to look at.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #122 on: Today at 04:25:33 PM »

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #122 on: June 11, 2015, 02:04:37 PM »
Marvel bailed the last time there was a D23 and they are doing it again the year there is a D23.   I do not think anything is going on here.

The article raises an excellent point that if this were the real/primary reason, then Star Wars likely wouldn't be at SDCC either.

Offline FlamedLiquid

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 128
« Reply #123 on: June 11, 2015, 02:13:01 PM »
Maybe after the Star Wars panel Chris Evans will come out with a teaser clip of Civil War such as WB did with Batman Superman last year but that'd be about all they'd do.

But I don't see that happening

Offline NYRider

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 185
« Reply #124 on: June 11, 2015, 04:16:54 PM »

This is the same Marvel/DC debate that has been going on for decades.  People need a scoreboard to look at.

I believe they had panel for Iron Man 3 at SDCC 2013, and they also went to D23 that same year.

I think they a bit bummed out about the tepid reaction they got last year for and they don't feel they live up with the fan/press expectations.

Offline FlamedLiquid

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #125 on: June 11, 2015, 04:24:35 PM »
I believe they had panel for Iron Man 3 at SDCC 2013, and they also went to D23 that same year.

I think they a bit bummed out about the tepid reaction they got last year for and they don't feel they live up with the fan/press expectations.

Iron man 3 panel was at 2012 con. Winter Soldier/Thor dark world/guardians was at 2013 con.

Offline riotgirl77

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 66
« Reply #126 on: June 12, 2015, 11:22:00 AM »
According to this tweet it looks like Daredevil won't be there either

Offline FlamedLiquid

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #127 on: June 12, 2015, 02:29:17 PM »
According to this tweet it looks like Daredevil won't be there either

Well that sucks. :(

But ummm her Twitter led me here:

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #128 on: June 12, 2015, 03:15:19 PM »
I buy it. They just don't have enough to bring the wow factor this year. Best not come than to be compared negatively to DC. They will ready something in time for D23 I'm sure and there will be no competition there.

But Marvel pretty much single-handedly INVENTED the hall H wow factor:
* they brought out producers & directors to talk about upcoming films without finalized scripts, casting, etc (including showing promo art for The Mandarin, which was the original bad guy for IRON MAN).  The sold thin air and a couple of drawings
* for IRON MAN they not only held their own panel, but they had a 'sneak peak' in the Paramount panel when John Favreau said they were going to show a sizzle reel, played the cartoon intro for a laugh, then showed the same sizzle reel they showed the next day at the Marvel Panel
* they had been shooting CAPTAIN AMERICA for only a few days, but delivered an entire edited seen (with pre-vis effects)!  Chris Evans said he hadn't even worn the finished Cap costume yet, that's how early in the process they were (he hadn't shot anything prior to Comic-Con panel)
* they made an AGE OF ULTRON trailer and made the AVENGERS 2 announcement almost a year before they even started shooting!
* they fabricated an ANT-MAN teaser for a week before the film even started shooing, bringing in the stars to record a few lines of dialogue and then showing a TON of awesome special effects shots edited together to make a fairly coherent sequence

There are plenty of examples of Marvel having no problems bring the wow factor with little prep, and I still call shenanigans with this excuse.  By Saturday of Comic-Con, nearly a month from now, CIVIL WAR will have been shooting for a little over 2 full months.  Given Marvel's track record of hype at Comic-Con, they could easily bring the "wow" to Hall H if they wanted; alas, as they did in 2011 the summer before AVENGERS came out, Marvel/Disney has decided instead to likely holdout for D23.
If there is no Marvel panel at D23 I will have no problems saying I'm wrong (as I gleefully did regarding STAR WARS: FORCE AWAKENS panel announcement), but I suspect I'm right.

Offline riotgirl77

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #129 on: June 12, 2015, 03:30:23 PM »
Well that sucks. :(

But ummm her Twitter led me here:

I clicked on the Twitter status link and it works for me....it didn't work for you and led you to the ebay page? lol weird

Offline FlamedLiquid

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #130 on: June 12, 2015, 06:19:05 PM »
I clicked on the Twitter status link and it works for me....it didn't work for you and led you to the ebay page? lol weird

No no lol. It took me to her Twitter but that led me to seeing her post about her selling that on eBay. :p

Offline susanml10881

• Hall H
  • Liked: 152
« Reply #131 on: June 13, 2015, 10:50:29 AM »

Yep. It was always about Marvel the past few years for Saturday. I heard people saying DC did better last year but all they did was show some footage and brought the stars on stage. They did not speak or anything. While RDJ dances down the aisle and Loki takes the stage. They're saving it for D23 and their own red carpet event like they had at Pantages.

But Marvel pretty much single-handedly INVENTED the hall H wow factor:
* they brought out producers & directors to talk about upcoming films without finalized scripts, casting, etc (including showing promo art for The Mandarin, which was the original bad guy for IRON MAN).  The sold thin air and a couple of drawings
* for IRON MAN they not only held their own panel, but they had a 'sneak peak' in the Paramount panel when John Favreau said they were going to show a sizzle reel, played the cartoon intro for a laugh, then showed the same sizzle reel they showed the next day at the Marvel Panel
* they had been shooting CAPTAIN AMERICA for only a few days, but delivered an entire edited seen (with pre-vis effects)!  Chris Evans said he hadn't even worn the finished Cap costume yet, that's how early in the process they were (he hadn't shot anything prior to Comic-Con panel)
* they made an AGE OF ULTRON trailer and made the AVENGERS 2 announcement almost a year before they even started shooting!
* they fabricated an ANT-MAN teaser for a week before the film even started shooing, bringing in the stars to record a few lines of dialogue and then showing a TON of awesome special effects shots edited together to make a fairly coherent sequence

There are plenty of examples of Marvel having no problems bring the wow factor with little prep, and I still call shenanigans with this excuse.  By Saturday of Comic-Con, nearly a month from now, CIVIL WAR will have been shooting for a little over 2 full months.  Given Marvel's track record of hype at Comic-Con, they could easily bring the "wow" to Hall H if they wanted; alas, as they did in 2011 the summer before AVENGERS came out, Marvel/Disney has decided instead to likely holdout for D23.
If there is no Marvel panel at D23 I will have no problems saying I'm wrong (as I gleefully did regarding STAR WARS: FORCE AWAKENS panel announcement), but I suspect I'm right.

Offline riotgirl77

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #132 on: June 13, 2015, 01:55:42 PM »
No no lol. It took me to her Twitter but that led me to seeing her post about her selling that on eBay. :p

Oh okay cool lol

Offline NYRider

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 185
« Reply #133 on: June 18, 2015, 01:21:29 PM »
Not Marvel Studios. But:

Steven Weintraub ‏@colliderfrosty 6m

MARVEL'S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. and AGENT CARTER will be at Comic-Con Friday with autograph sessions on Saturday.

Offline DaveG

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 572
« Reply #134 on: June 18, 2015, 01:44:17 PM »
Thanks.  There was second hand inference earlier that Marvel TV (i.e. Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter) might be in Hall H on Thursday.  If their panel is Friday then I'm guessing they'll be in B20 sandwiched between Minority Report and The Originals.