Author Topic: 2013 attendee badge buy in Aug & 12/13 year olds  (Read 42521 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
2013 attendee badge buy in Aug & 12/13 year olds
« on: July 07, 2012, 05:21:57 AM »
In case any parents of 12 year old's missed this on the facebook page on July 6th 2013

Lisa McDowellComic-Con International
Thursday at 8:04pm near San Diego, CA ·
Just a heads up for all those who have kids using a child badge this year and turning into a Junior badge next year! ~They will NOT be eligible for the August badge-holder sale!!! You will have to Wait to purchase their passes!!! ~Wish I had known...I would have just purchased my kid a junior badge instead! Now I must roll the dice! :/
Like ·
Arthur Louis Fisher Jr. likes this.

Amber Jensen Good luck there for 2013, Lisa!!
Thursday at 8:06pm · Like · 1

Lisa McDowell No kidding right!
Thursday at 8:07pm · Like

Carlo Duya Well at least junior badges are the last to go.
Thursday at 8:20pm · Like · 1

Lisa McDowell I guess they are! Must think positive on that! Thanks! :)
Thursday at 8:24pm · Like

Alyssa Franks Lisa, did you email cci & was that their response?
Thursday at 8:58pm · Like

Lisa McDowell ‎@Alyssa...Yes! ~ Their exact response was... "Since your daughter did not purchase either a one day or four day badge to this year's Comic-Con she will not be eligible to purchase a badge during the preregistration for Comic-Con 2013 in August. She will have to purchase a badge at one of the later badge sales for Comic-Con 2013."
Thursday at 11:05pm · Like

Lisa McDowell ‎@Alyssa...I just e-mailed cci for a confirmation of this answer. Will let you know when they respond.
Thursday at 11:19pm · Like
David Ramirez I just got the same email stating Hello,

Please bear with us as we try to resolve this issue. We will be it touch with you after the show.

Thank you,

San Diego Comic Convention Customer Service Department
Thursday at 11:22pm · Like

Lisa McDowell Yup! That was indeed the 2nd response I got! Maybe they're not sure what they're going to do about this.
Yesterday at 12:51am · Like

Alyssa Franks my gut feeling is that if they can figure out a way, they will. they are all about families
5 minutes ago · Like
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Re: 2013 attendee badge buy in Aug & 12/13 year olds
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 09:38:25 PM »
Alyssa, thank you so much for posting this information. It will really help me out next year. I'm sorry there's not anything you can do now for this year for your son.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 12:34:29 PM »

Offline David

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 10:09:15 PM »
Just got this back from CCI I really do not know what to think.  :o I would like to argue my point with them and to let them know that its more than "some" juniors but i dont really want to piss any one off that may review these issues.
Hello David,

Thank you for your email inquiry. We are aware that there are some children who went to the 2012 show for free who are now juniors (age 13 - 17) who need to purchase a badge for Comic-Con 2013. At this time, these children do not qualify for the Comic-Con 2013 badge preregistration sale. However, if you are able to obtain badges for yourself or other family members during the upcoming badge sale, please contact us after 2013 preregistration is complete and we will review your situation.

Thank you,

Clay

Attendee Registration Department
San Diego Comic Convention
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 10:21:07 PM by David Ramirez »
Best part of San Diego Comic Con 2012 was waiting for My Little Pony Durpy Hooves for 6 hours with about 6 other fathers all getting them for their daughters.

Offline Khaaaaaaanh!!!

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 12:10:38 AM »
Interesting response. Sounds like they'd review on case by case basis.

Easy way to resolve this in the future is charge for children's badge so that there is a record of it. If the kids are taking up room in line and being allowed to purchase exclusives then they should be paying customers. 
...you had me at hello...

New to the forum? Look here!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 02:06:11 AM »
Or require 12 year olds to have a member id.  That way CCI would have a record of which kiddos are eligible for the pre-reg sale. (for the record, i don't object to charging for a kiddo badge)

i honestly think cci didn't think of this situation when they set up the current system and suspect this kink will get worked out for the following year.

Just got this back from CCI I really do not know what to think.  :o I would like to argue my point with them and to let them know that its more than "some" juniors but i dont really want to piss any one off that may review these issues.
<snip>

David, do not argue the point with them!  they have said, if you get a badge during pre-reg, they will 'review your situation'.  don't mess with that! Keep that email in a safe spot.  I know the temptation is to want a resolution now, but trust that it will work out.

I actually take this as a very positive turn of events,  CCI has acknowledged there is a problem and wants to keep a conversation going once the parent gets a badge.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 08:37:47 AM »
I agree, this is a positive response. Basically they're saying that if you get badges in presale they'll likely be able to arrange for your 12 (to be 13) year old to get one as well. That's certainly fair!

I have no problem paying for children's passes. What scares me about it is having to fight through the registration system for children... yikes! It's difficult enough just securing my own badge!

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 10:58:19 AM »
Just as a data point, i did go to the talk back panel.
I asked for 12 yo's who attended this year to be considered eligible for the pre-reg sale.

Offline depictprints

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 01:09:25 PM »
Got the same e-mail in my inbox too!  Very disappointing.  If I had known last year when I purchased passes that they were going to do this I would have purchased my daughter a Junior badge this year...was ready to purchase her one anyway seeing as the year before 12 year olds were a Junior badge.  I just hate the thought of having to have to purchase my daughters passes separately...what happens if I end up getting a badge and I can't get one for her?  She always goes with me.

Now what worries me is that I went to go post this e-mail info on the CCI Facebook site as info to others...but my post was removed.  Last thing I wanted to do was irritate CCI.  Crap!  Hope my names not on the list now for do now allow!    :-[ 

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 02:59:40 PM »
i think what they(CCI) doesn't want to happen is for people to use this as a way to get let jr's by-pass the 'must have attended last year' clause.

I don't mind CCI vetting families.  But i've also heard a *lot* of stories about the kindness of cci and how they really do work with people who are legitimately trying to work within the system but are stymied by a bit of software.

I do agree, tho, i wish i had know this last year but no one can see all eventualities and i believe this one was an honest over site.  I would even go so far as to say, 'I think if there was an easy way to do it, that wouldn't open the floodgates, they would do it.'

I wouldn't worry about the facebook posting- just take it as a guide, CCI doesn't want this issue to be a big Facebook thing.  Personally, if i see anyone posting about having a problem with this (a parent trying to get a jr badge), I will ask them to pm me & link them here/give them the info.

In other words, I think we can do this in a quite way & get all the families taken care of. The first order of business is to get the the parents taken care of!  ;)

« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 03:02:59 PM by alyssa »

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 04:53:18 PM »
The CCI web page has been modified to say the following (in the pre-registration section):

Professionals, guests of professionals (purchased and non-purchased), members of the press, trade professionals, guests of trade professionals, volunteers, staff, exhibitors, exhibitor purchased attendees, program participants, complimentary passes, and children of paid 2012 attendee badges will not be allowed to participate in online preregistration in August. Open online registration for these categories will occur at a later date.

Bolding is mine.

Offline David

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 04:54:55 PM »
Or require 12 year olds to have a member id.  That way CCI would have a record of which kiddos are eligible for the pre-reg sale. (for the record, i don't object to charging for a kiddo badge)

i honestly think cci didn't think of this situation when they set up the current system and suspect this kink will get worked out for the following year.

David, do not argue the point with them!  they have said, if you get a badge during pre-reg, they will 'review your situation'.  don't mess with that! Keep that email in a safe spot.  I know the temptation is to want a resolution now, but trust that it will work out.

I actually take this as a very positive turn of events,  CCI has acknowledged there is a problem and wants to keep a conversation going once the parent gets a badge.

Alyssa thats what i was thinking too, it is a positive that they will review on a case by case basis. So I will take it as that and keep all our fingers crossed.

Thank you as well for bringing this up at the talk back.  :)
Best part of San Diego Comic Con 2012 was waiting for My Little Pony Durpy Hooves for 6 hours with about 6 other fathers all getting them for their daughters.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 05:38:02 PM »
you're welcome
I wasn't very convincing but at least it got on the radar--

Offline depictprints

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 06:13:19 PM »
In other words, I think we can do this in a quite way & get all the families taken care of. The first order of business is to get the the parents taken care of!  ;)

Alyssa I don't mind doing this in a quiet way.  Will be happy to be as quiet as they want...will even show up at their offices incognito (which are right down the street from me by the way) if they want!!!   :-X   ;) 

Just don't want a very disappointed daughter.  But of course...First things first...must make sure I can get the tickets myself this time around! 

Offline runzwitscizzorz

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 06:38:21 PM »
Since I heard that you are supposed to purchases badges based on the age you are at the time of purchase not the time of attendance wouldnt that mean that if your child is 12 when you buy your badge that they would meet the guidelines for the free badge?

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 06:46:36 PM »
but the pre-reg sale is restricted to people who paid for a badge last year.

my son will turn 13 in early oct which will in all likelyhood be before the general sale...