Author Topic: SDCC 2020 Hotel Discussion  (Read 74468 times)

Offline RighteousRita

• Hall H
  • Liked: 455
Re: SDCC 2020 Hotel Discussion
« Reply #120 on: January 14, 2020, 05:55:58 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
My hubby saw Brent Spiner (Data from Star Trek) and Benedict Cumberbatch at the Hardrock last year.

How does the hotel lottery work again? 1st time goer this year! Woot!
CCI will make an announcement and send you an email as to when the lottery will take place. On the CCI website there will be a list of hotels and their prices available. You start to do your due dilly for which hotel is right for you. Once you click the link that CCI will provide in the email, you will be put in queue to enter all the info needed. The faster you are the more likely you will get one of the 6 hotels you ask for.

Offline Mistborn

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #121 on: January 16, 2020, 07:23:49 PM »
CCI will make an announcement and send you an email as to when the lottery will take place. On the CCI website there will be a list of hotels and their prices available. You start to do your due dilly for which hotel is right for you. Once you click the link that CCI will provide in the email, you will be put in queue to enter all the info needed. The faster you are the more likely you will get one of the 6 hotels you ask for.

Thanks Righteous Rita! I'm very new to all of this so I'm still trying to figure all of this out

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #122 on: Today at 07:13:54 PM »

Offline Hades

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #122 on: January 16, 2020, 07:56:02 PM »

To add to this, if it has not been mentioned before in this thread, you actually get the option to put in for 6 hotels downtown and 6 non-downtown if you so choose. While getting downtown is usually the better option, for me at least, it is always good to spread out to as many as you can to make sure you are able to get at least something. This is also covered in the email they send and the sample form they give you to look at so you can be fully up on it all. With a bit of prep and practice, it is something that you can get through in under a minute to better the odds as stated above. Even though they state it is based on the time you are let into the waiting room, every year there are discrepancies so take that into account too. It all can be stressful, but since they started this system I have yet to be left in the lurch. Knocking on digital wood and real wood to make sure I didn't just jinx myself.  :D

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
« Reply #123 on: January 16, 2020, 10:36:09 PM »
To add to this, if it has not been mentioned before in this thread, you actually get the option to put in for 6 hotels downtown and 6 non-downtown if you so choose. While getting downtown is usually the better option, for me at least, it is always good to spread out to as many as you can to make sure you are able to get at least something. This is also covered in the email they send and the sample form they give you to look at so you can be fully up on it all. With a bit of prep and practice, it is something that you can get through in under a minute to better the odds as stated above. Even though they state it is based on the time you are let into the waiting room, every year there are discrepancies so take that into account too. It all can be stressful, but since they started this system I have yet to be left in the lurch. Knocking on digital wood and real wood to make sure I didn't just jinx myself.  :D

Do you think our chances of scoring a room are lower if we request multiple rooms? I noticed people got rooms for groups, but I wonder if that worsens our chances.

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
« Reply #124 on: January 16, 2020, 11:01:28 PM »
Do you think our chances of scoring a room are lower if we request multiple rooms? I noticed people got rooms for groups, but I wonder if that worsens our chances.

Considering if they can't accommodate your request at a single hotel, I believe they move onto another hotel if possible. So I believe it can depending on when you get in. Of course, we're not sure for certain because who know with OnPeak lol. I once get a block of rooms at MGH that were distributed because I managed to trade for the Bayfront. But I think based on my timestamp I could've gotten the Bayfront if I'd requested one room. Unfortunately, I'll need two rooms this year so I'm already more worried for this year lol.

I do have a back-up from the Bristol for two rooms for triples each, so I'm less worried but I'm eagerly and dreading the announcement of Hotelpocalypse.
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline Hades

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #125 on: January 17, 2020, 09:54:45 AM »

Logically, it would make sense that chances could be lowered for multiple room requests. But I have yet to figure out how any of the policies work logically. I have never tried for a multiple room request before, so I have no idea. If you are worried about your group just having a place to stay, I'd say it would be safer to have multiple people put in for a single room request. You might get spread around the area and not in the same hotel, but you will have a place to sleep. If you are worried about staying in the same hotel, then obviously go with the multi-room request to better the odds. I truly wish I had better advice on it all.

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #126 on: January 17, 2020, 01:13:14 PM »
I agree. I've thought this for a long time and I know it's an unpopular opinion with some, but I'd really like to see possession of at least a single day badge being made a requirement to enter hotelpocalypse.

I don't think it's an unpopular opinion among attendees at all. But the hotels don't care because they have no reason to, and CCI doesn't seem to care either.
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
« Reply #127 on: January 17, 2020, 01:16:06 PM »
I don't think it's an unpopular opinion among attendees at all. But the hotels don't care because they have no reason to, and CCI doesn't seem to care either.

I think part of the issue with CCI wanting people to have at least 1 day badge to get into the lottery is that not everyone will have their badges confirmed by the time the lottery takes place, iirc that was one argument against it.

Edit: Believe me, I'd love for you to have to be a badge-holder to participate though...
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline dcole

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 32
« Reply #128 on: January 18, 2020, 12:13:20 PM »
I think part of the issue with CCI wanting people to have at least 1 day badge to get into the lottery is that not everyone will have their badges confirmed by the time the lottery takes place, iirc that was one argument against it.

Edit: Believe me, I'd love for you to have to be a badge-holder to participate though...
Who doesn't have their badges confirmed by the time the lottery takes place, though? First time pros? New staff? People waiting to see if CCI will auction off 4-day badges again? Otherwise, the overwhelming majority of badge holders were confirmed in November.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #129 on: January 18, 2020, 02:40:29 PM »
Who doesn't have their badges confirmed by the time the lottery takes place, though? First time pros? New staff? People waiting to see if CCI will auction off 4-day badges again? Otherwise, the overwhelming majority of badge holders were confirmed in November.

I think there are some press and guests and such. IMHO, CCI should just hold back a small number of rooms for these people and then let the lottery take place for badgeholders only.

Offline dcole

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 32
« Reply #130 on: January 18, 2020, 02:45:58 PM »

I think there are some press and guests and such. IMHO, CCI should just hold back a small number of rooms for these people and then let the lottery take place for badgeholders only.
Agree totally.

Offline dolphina

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Live Long and Prosper
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #131 on: January 18, 2020, 02:46:56 PM »
Agree totally.

You have my vote for this too
A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting”

Wondercon, SDCC, Comikazi, Blizzcon, SWCA, D23

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
« Reply #132 on: January 18, 2020, 08:39:31 PM »

I wish they would do this and they gave us hope by putting in the MemberID section a couple years ago. But I doubt they're going to do it /sigh.

Offline paul

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #133 on: January 18, 2020, 09:43:27 PM »
If you don’t have a badge and want to attend other comic con events I assume you can’t use the site for hotels. Are there any other sites recommended for hotels/places to stay?

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #134 on: January 18, 2020, 11:35:54 PM »
If you don’t have a badge and want to attend other comic con events I assume you can’t use the site for hotels. Are there any other sites recommended for hotels/places to stay?

For SDCC, (at this point) they have never required a badge to book hotels. But you still have to jump through the same hoops as everyone else.

None of the other cons I go to technically require a badge to book hotels either, though none of them are as crazy as hotelpocalypse (the next closest is probably actually FanimeCon but I don’t need a hotel for that.) You can book through the con’s website but they don’t ask for proof when booking or when showing up. (Sometimes they ask if I’m here for the convention, but it’s just making conversation.)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 11:40:49 PM by hikanteki »
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15