Author Topic: 130,000 Attendees? NYCC  (Read 9630 times)

Offline ComicGirl

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 119
Re: 130,000 Attendees?
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2013, 02:30:22 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I missed that part of the OP! My apologies!

I think that NYCC/Javits does right though, is Artist Alley. I kinda wish SDCC could find a way to maybe have it in it's own space. I feel like it's shrinking every year :(

Totally agree with you here! The one thing I took away from NYCC that they did better than SDCC was Artist's Alley. I really liked the layout and it had more of a "freshness" than at SDCC. There was an air of excitement.

However, NYCC's exhibit floor was a bit of a disappointment. Booths like Geico, Verizon, Arizona Ice Tea, Chevy …. what do these entities have to do with comics or will NYCC just sell to whoever will give them the money? I hate being marketed to. I found it patronizing. There was also a hypnotist booth on the floor and a booth selling cell phone covers (that were not even pop culture related, just sparkly and covered with bling.)

I fear it won't be too long till NYCC suffers from fan accusations of selling out, much like SDCC succumbs to now when people say it's all about "hollywood." They really should take that crap off the floor.

Offline mllNY

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1089
Re: 130,000 Attendees?
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2013, 10:45:09 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Totally agree with you here! The one thing I took away from NYCC that they did better than SDCC was Artist's Alley. I really liked the layout and it had more of a "freshness" than at SDCC. There was an air of excitement.

However, NYCC's exhibit floor was a bit of a disappointment. Booths like Geico, Verizon, Arizona Ice Tea, Chevy …. what do these entities have to do with comics or will NYCC just sell to whoever will give them the money? I hate being marketed to. I found it patronizing. There was also a hypnotist booth on the floor and a booth selling cell phone covers (that were not even pop culture related, just sparkly and covered with bling.)

I fear it won't be too long till NYCC suffers from fan accusations of selling out, much like SDCC succumbs to now when people say it's all about "hollywood." They really should take that crap off the floor.

I feel your pain, especially when I've seen better booths in years past (IDW, Mondo, Hasbro, Lego, Bioware, Fox, etc..) and when you see 2 to 3 copmpanies get 3-4 big booth spaces. I really do hope that NYCC takes into consideration the show floor as much as it did the panels this year.

I mean I am going next year but it would be nice to see the show floor take a step back in a better direction
2023 Cons: Five Points Festival, SDCC, Toy Fair, NYCC, IX, PAX Unplugged

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: 130,000 Attendees? NYCC
« Reply #17 on: Today at 05:14:33 AM »