Author Topic: Marvel Studios, Saturday, July 23rd, 5:30pm - 7:00pm, Hall H  (Read 4644 times)

Offline sisustylegirl

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 55
I feel like I heard Marvel isn't going to be doing anything at SDCC this year but can't quite recall.  Anyone know?

Obviously Fox isn't supposed to be there but that wouldn't take out the entire MCU, correct?

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
Re: Marvel 2016?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 09:09:52 AM »
I had not heard anything yet. They will still have a presence, maybe not a panel. In the years where it was reported they weren't bringing anything, they still had their booth and big displays and merch booth.
Ang

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 09:11:41 AM »
James Gunn's comments in an interview a week or two ago, hinted they might be there -- especially since last year, he was the one who dropped the bomb that Marvel wouldn't be there.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 09:17:38 AM »
I feel like we get more rumors of whose not coming versus who is coming now days.  I'm going to keep my fingers crossed for Marvel 2016 :)
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline tk415650

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 39
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 03:07:34 PM »
Doctor Strange could definitely use the hype before it gets released in November so I would expect a panel @ 6pm Saturday with Cumberbatch and Feige and of course Hardwick moderating.

Also count on James Gunn and some of the cast for GOTG 2 to appear as well.

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 04:14:14 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
James Gunn's comments in an interview a week or two ago, hinted they might be there -- especially since last year, he was the one who dropped the bomb that Marvel wouldn't be there.

I would love it if they showed up again. Marvel is what really pushed me to go to Hall H (not that there aren't other amazing things there.)
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 11:10:33 AM »
Doctor Strange could definitely use the hype before it gets released in November so I would expect a panel @ 6pm Saturday with Cumberbatch and Feige and of course Hardwick moderating.

I TOTALLY agree about that.  I think DOCTOR STRANGE is the least mainstream Marvel film thus far, and they HAVE to create buzz in order to get the hype rolling for non-comic fans who saw the first trailer and thought WTF (as my mom did, who for me is a good barometer for the general public tastes in movies).  The film finished shooting quite awhile ago, so there shouldn't be any problems with Marvel having an awesome sizzle reel for us.  Traditionally Marvel has done SDCCI the years the haven't done D23 so statistics says they will probably be there.

I also hope for a GOTG 2 appearance.  Last time around the hyped GOTG the summer before release, and even though CCI was a few weeks before the film's US release all they really did was announce a release did (which later changed) for the sequel.  IIRC Feige flat-out said they had already had GOTG at Comic-Con and didn't need to do it weeks before release (also, the film has getting incredible reviews and doing well over seas).

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 11:12:49 AM »

Also, with as popular as Spidey was in CIVIL WAR with fans, they might also do something for HOMECOMING.  That film comes out early next July (before either the next SDCCI or D23) so it would make sense they show concept art, maybe officially announce cast/villains, etc.

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 12:48:39 PM »
Homecoming would be Sony though.  And Sony might have a panel, but last year they skipped altogether, and the year before they were relegated to Indigo Ballroom.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 09:05:40 AM »
Homecoming would be Sony though.  And Sony might have a panel, but last year they skipped altogether, and the year before they were relegated to Indigo Ballroom.
Maybe
The Spider-man property, as far as I understand the deal, is 100% creatively Marvel Studios, while Sony is mostly the distributor.  When Marvel Studios had essentially a similar deal as:
* IRON MAN - distributed by Paramount
* IRON MAN 2 - Paramount
* THOR - distributed by Paramount
* CAPTAIN AMERICA - Paramount

Now they're all distributed by Disney (who owns Marvel).

The year before IRON MAN came out, there was a "mention" at the Paramount panel (gave out t-shirts, Favs came out to show the sizzle reel and hype the crowd, etc) and also had the big Marvel panel with the stars.  I would suspect if Sony doesn't have a panel this year (possible, but with their upcoming releases including SAUSAGE PARTY; MAGNIFICENT SEVEN; UNDERWORLD sequel; RESIDENT EVIL sequel; TRAINSPOTTING sequel; DA VINCI CODE sequel; BAD BOYS sequel; not to mention 'gambles' such as UNCHARTED; DARK TOWER franchise launcher I would think they'll be there) I think Marvel would still do a panel, since it's "their" baby right now at least

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2016, 01:38:46 PM »
Marvel sold the movie rights for Spiderman to Sony, that's why all of the past Spiderman movies have been made by Sony (same way Marvel sold X-Men and Fantastic Four to Fox).  Marvel had to make a deal with Sony to be able to use Spiderman in Civil War, both studios had to agree on the casting of Tom Holland, and the movie is being produced by Sony.  And the last couple Spiderman movies have been part of the Sony panel.  Marvel's getting a cut, but it is NOT a Marvel/Disney movie.

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2016, 01:53:26 PM »
The movie is basically be made by Marvel, with Sony's money and then distributed by sony with marvel getting a share of the profit.
If this movie get's in a panel, it is very likely it would be in the Marvel one and not Sony. 

Offline frgx

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 769
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2016, 08:22:09 AM »
Draw your own conclusions about a Marvel panel--

Offline RustyPonds

• Gaming Lounge
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 263
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2016, 08:49:35 AM »
But they had Ant-Man banners last year. So that really means nothing. With that being said though, I think they'll have a showing.

Offline frgx

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 769
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2016, 09:19:54 AM »
A Marvel panel is looking very likely--  :)

Scott Derrickson Teases Marvel ‘Doctor Strange’ Appearance--

"And now, director Scott Derrickson has all but confirmed the appearance with this tweet:"