Author Topic: 2019 SDCC Mondo (and Mondo adjacent) Exclusives  (Read 11454 times)

Offline mattytreks

• Ballroom 20
    • mattytreks on twitter
  • Liked: 233
Re: 2019 SDCC Mondo (and Mondo adjacent) Exclusives
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2019, 09:50:22 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I have no problem waiting in lines if it means I can actually get something. Can't stand that everything went to lotteries.

I’m very much in this camp, as well.

I put in the hard work – and I reap the rewards.
Star Wars | LEGO | 1000toys | Batman | Voltron

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2019, 09:58:46 AM »
I have no problem waiting in lines if it means I can actually get something. Can't stand that everything went to lotteries.
Last year waiting in line wasn't a guaranteed way to get stuff though.  Between lines dispersed, random quick lines, capped lines and everything else....some of the drops were just blind luck.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 03:13:23 PM »

Offline LibertyRoxx

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 131
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2019, 10:07:07 AM »
I think too many variables are at play for Mondo to be included in the lottery. They bring A LOT of posters, so it is unlikely they can have a lottery for each one - and if they raffle full days, if people who won the lottery don't pickup or change their mind they'll have to have "open entry" like Hasbro has been doing and the line will be 200x worse once it opens to those without lottery pickups. Mondo has also conditioned their fans with "camping=success". After years of people camping, to flip on a lottery for everything has a chance to anger their base.

I think an "everything else" and "print" is a great idea, they were trying to do that a bit last year but it was still messy. I also think the ticket handout was a good idea too. My wish is still for scheduled morning drops for the sought after stuff, with badge checking to make sure vendors aren't gaming the system.

That last part won't happen. Much like Funko, Hasbro, etc they don't care who's buying it, just that it sells. If CCI was that concerned about it they would have tried to do something about it and they haven't.
SDCC- 2011-2019, 2022; DCC- 2014, 2017, 2022; SWC- 1999, 2017, 2022; Dragon Con- 2014; Gallifrey One- 2015, 2018-2019, 2022-2023; NYCC- 2010-2019, 2021-2022; ECCC- 2018-2019, 2021-2022

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2019, 10:33:11 AM »
That last part won't happen. Much like Funko, Hasbro, etc they don't care who's buying it, just that it sells. If CCI was that concerned about it they would have tried to do something about it and they haven't.
Almost all of those booths do not allow sales to Vendors anymore...

Offline mattytreks

• Ballroom 20
    • mattytreks on twitter
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2019, 10:45:56 AM »
Almost all of those booths do not allow sales to Vendors anymore...

In theory yes -- but LEGO, for example, had so many unclaimed exclusive sets and minifigures on Sunday afternoon that they could not sell or give them away, respectively, quick enough.

And I imagine at that point they just wanted to unload product in any way possible, be it to an attendee or a vendor.

What that means is product that could have gone to attendees much earlier in the con now went to vendors on the last day -- certainly an unintended byproduct of a lottery system.  And for the record, I didn't see a marked change in floor crowds last year; it was as crowded as ever.

Offline Zod1966

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 40
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2019, 11:24:49 AM »
In theory yes -- but LEGO, for example, had so many unclaimed exclusive sets and minifigures on Sunday afternoon that they could not sell or give them away, respectively, quick enough.

And I imagine at that point they just wanted to unload product in any way possible, be it to an attendee or a vendor.

What that means is product that could have gone to attendees much earlier in the con now went to vendors on the last day -- certainly an unintended byproduct of a lottery system.  And for the record, I didn't see a marked change in floor crowds last year; it was as crowded as ever.

I can attest to this.  I got a lottery draw to buy Lego on Sunday...and the line was stupid long.  Yet when I finally got to buy mine, they asked me how many I wanted.  I said just the one.  Isn't it limited to just one?  And the guy said nope you now can buy up to six apiece.  :-P

Offline drums12

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2019, 08:25:27 AM »
My whole issue with the "lottery vs the commitment to actually standing in line" is that now it allows more people to participate in other lines and panels that they previously wouldn't have been interested in. This just causes even more crowds in areas that could've been walk-up/walk-in.

That being said, the lottery is a blessing and a curse. My friend and I did end up getting the Deadpool and Star Wars Lego sets last year through the lottery system even though we didn't necessarily care for them, which is an entirely separate issue right there. :P

Also, not to derail the thread, over the last couple of years I've been noticing vendors using the term "exclusives" as more of a marketing tool.

I can attest to this.  I got a lottery draw to buy Lego on Sunday...and the line was stupid long.  Yet when I finally got to buy mine, they asked me how many I wanted.  I said just the one.  Isn't it limited to just one?  And the guy said nope you now can buy up to six apiece.  :-P

I can vouch for this absurd line. The cool thing was, my friend and I had two separate times for pickup but we took a gamble and got in the line for one of those times. They ended up letting us through. It was overall a smooth process.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 08:42:01 AM by drums12 »
WonderCon 2011
SDCC 2012-2020 (9 year streak)
SVCC 2016
Fanime 2019
CorgiCon 2017

Offline TossedSalad

• Gaming Lounge
  • Greetings Programs!
  • Liked: 143
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2019, 08:21:17 AM »
My whole issue with the "lottery vs the commitment to actually standing in line" is that now it allows more people to participate in other lines and panels that they previously wouldn't have been interested in. This just causes even more crowds in areas that could've been walk-up/walk-in.

That being said, the lottery is a blessing and a curse. My friend and I did end up getting the Deadpool and Star Wars Lego sets last year through the lottery system even though we didn't necessarily care for them, which is an entirely separate issue right there. :P

Also, not to derail the thread, over the last couple of years I've been noticing vendors using the term "exclusives" as more of a marketing tool.

I can vouch for this absurd line. The cool thing was, my friend and I had two separate times for pickup but we took a gamble and got in the line for one of those times. They ended up letting us through. It was overall a smooth process.

It did feel like some of the smaller panel rooms were more crowded than the year before
Fun isn’t something one considers when preparing for Comic-Con, but attending does put a smile on my face

Offline rickythump

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2019, 11:27:16 PM »

LEGO ≠ Mondo.

Can’t even compare the two drop wise. I highly doubt Mondo would ever allow multiple print purchases per person/day, and they have never had any trouble moving the 3-4 sought after prints each year.

Mo checked badges for Garindan Mitchell and for Taylor GotG2. Can’t be out of the question since if it’s already happened.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 09:40:25 AM by rickythump »

Offline rickythump

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2019, 08:15:10 AM »

Another Matt Taylor sneak peak, still hoping this lands at SDCC with a cosmic colorway (like GotG).

Anyone have any specific properties they hope Mondo tackles on their wishlist this year?

Offline mattytreks

• Ballroom 20
    • mattytreks on twitter
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2019, 08:30:25 AM »
Anyone have any specific properties they hope Mondo tackles on their wishlist this year?

Gosh, let’s see...

• Games: Shadow of the Colossus and Dark Souls
• Movies/TV: Blade Runner, Pacific Rim, and Willow

Online alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2019, 01:20:09 AM »
I certainly don't have an 'in' to the workings of lottery vs 'line up' at sdcc BUT i can't see Mondo changing. They service the hardcore collector of prints. Lego has a broader fan base so it has to appear more 'fair'
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline TossedSalad

• Gaming Lounge
  • Greetings Programs!
  • Liked: 143
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2019, 01:31:35 AM »
I’ve fallen prey to the witchcraft that is Mondo after having some success last year. Between the posters and the vinyl, they just vacuum my money
Fun isn’t something one considers when preparing for Comic-Con, but attending does put a smile on my face

Online alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2019, 05:44:11 AM »
I’ve fallen prey to the witchcraft that is Mondo after having some success last year. Between the posters and the vinyl, they just vacuum my money
I tend to like bottleneck gallery a bit more, just because of the variety of prints. Plus i'm not so much into vinal/pins/tiki's etc all
That said i'm sure there will be one or two prints offered that I will **have** to get
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline rickythump

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2019, 07:21:38 PM »
We have our first confirmations for the SDCC Mondo releases, toy-wise.

Mondoid's Toy "Blue" Venom Variant
Jaw's Tiki Mug SDCC Variant

Edit:
Jaw's Tiki Mug SDCC Variant

Not sure what variant we will get for the SDCC exclusive, possibly white/red?

Blue Venom Mondoid

And a Sorcerer Mickey Tiki coming soon (not for SDCC) "very large, cool hat"
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 07:27:56 PM by rickythump »