Author Topic: Autograph Tips and Tricks for SDCC  (Read 138212 times)

Offline Car_Low

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 610
Re: Autograph Tips and Tricks for SDCC
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2016, 08:52:31 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Sometimes I see people lining up for comic signing like Jim Lee at the DC both with a stack the size of 3 phone books. This leads me to open a question about signing etiquette. Would it be frowned upon to bring a giant stack of comics to get signed by my favorite writer/artist? Or should I go easy on them and those behind with 3-5 comics instead?

Definitely go with the latter.  They will not let you sign that much comics especially at SDCC and especially for Jim Lee.

Offline PlasticManJr

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2016, 09:31:14 AM »
Would it be frowned upon to bring a giant stack of comics to get signed by my favorite writer/artist? Or should I go easy on them and those behind with 3-5 comics instead?

When the signing is limited to a short time period (e.g., one hour), whether the artist signs one guy's stack of 100 comics or one comic each from 100 people, for some artists it's all the same: one hour of signing. So it's not so much going easy on them as being considerate of the other people in line. (Some lines have limits. For example, Jim Lee at Wondercon this year was a three item limit.)

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 06:42:15 AM »

Offline dville

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 66
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2016, 10:38:20 PM »
Wouldn't it be easier to try to win an autograph session if they did this online?  The manual proceeds seems a bit antiquated.
If stupidity got us in this mess, then why can't it get us out?

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2016, 11:29:47 PM »
Wouldn't it be easier to try to win an autograph session if they did this online?  The manual proceeds seems a bit antiquated.

Quite possibly, it could be easier to win an autograph ticket if they did this via online lottery.  However, logistically, it's probably easier and cheaper for the studios if they do everything in person the old-fashioned way. 

In case anyone would be interested in reading additional text (that may or may not be related to autograph tips and tricks--hidden away in a spoiler tag in case anyone wants to skip it):

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
  • Liked: 1750
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2016, 10:53:59 AM »
I will say I have little trust in online drawings. The randomized engine is where I draw my concerns and there is no telling what the outcome really is. I participated in an online draw for NYCC a few years back and had no luck for the 10 offerings after many, many attempts. I have much better success in person.
Time and Relative Dimension in Space - 'TARDIS' for short

Editor-in-Chief of the FoCC Blog

Offline LuthienDragon

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2016, 10:52:43 AM »
I would love online drawings...makes me save up time and actually use my very-expensive hotel (here in Mexico our coin dropped drastically and is now, literally, worth half, compared to just last year.)
Last year, tickets to BOTH the signings I wanted to attend to finished 10 people before me, considering I had spent the night over camping I was pretty devastated. I just wished I have slept in a nice bed....

Offline vegasndn

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 160
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2016, 12:32:33 AM »
WB  autograph lottery is hard to not pull a winner so the popular ones go fast. Fox autograph is just pure luck a lot of losing tickets there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online TheNeck

• Hall H
  • Liked: 367
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2016, 06:49:46 AM »
WB  autograph lottery is hard to not pull a winner so the popular ones go fast. Fox autograph is just pure luck a lot of losing tickets there.

yeah the WB drawing is easy unless it is close to the end of them running out of winning tickets but if you are at the front of the line, we have always got a winner.
SDCC 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
SDCC Volunteer 2022, 2023
Fundays 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Wondercon 2015, 2018

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2016, 08:51:21 AM »
I once drew a loser at WB and the guys said, "That ticket seems faulty!" and grabbed it from my hand and threw it on the floor then said I should take another LOL. I think they really just want everyone to win so it's over and done with.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline vegasndn

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2016, 09:33:09 AM »
I once drew a loser at WB and the guys said, "That ticket seems faulty!" and grabbed it from my hand and threw it on the floor then said I should take another LOL. I think they really just want everyone to win so it's over and done with.
Lol. That's funny, no losing ticket here. I once pulled a losing ticket and the guy looked at me like wow dude come on

Offline vegasndn

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2016, 10:23:44 AM »
We tried Walking Dead autograph tickets and I don't think I saw anyone around us pull a winner, we went thru the line several times and didn't get a winner so my tip is not to do it get in line for panel instead

Online TheNeck

• Hall H
  • Liked: 367
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2016, 10:33:35 AM »
We tried Walking Dead autograph tickets and I don't think I saw anyone around us pull a winner, we went thru the line several times and didn't get a winner so my tip is not to do it get in line for panel instead

where is that at, you drew for tickets for TWD? at there booth or the sails pavilion? we might try this year.
SDCC 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
SDCC Volunteer 2022, 2023
Fundays 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Wondercon 2015, 2018

Offline vegasndn

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2016, 10:39:12 AM »
where is that at, you drew for tickets for TWD? at there booth or the sails pavilion? we might try this year.
It is not up in the sails pavilion just go to the booth and ask where the end of the line is, the line is usually capped but just hang around till they open up line again.

Offline Angie

• Ballroom 20
    • The NerdyGirl's Blog
  • Liked: 200
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2016, 11:36:18 AM »

I dunno I've always had good luck with Fox as long as you are near the front. I find that the less popular signings tend to churn out more winners. One year when they only had one show left they just started giving them away to the next people waiting in line.

Offline Volsspongebob

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2016, 11:46:30 AM »
I agree about Fox being easy at the front. We were near the front last year on Saturday and went three for three on pulling winners. Last year it was pull a colored checkers I believe. Then pick the show you want. On Saturday Gotham was first to go. Then Simpsons and Last Man on Earth werent too far behind. Also keep in mind that Fox is really late in doing their autograph pull as opposed to WB or Hasbro/Lego drawings.