Author Topic: Useful items to take to SDCC  (Read 154017 times)

Offline Ghost6

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 64
Re: Useful items to take to SDCC
« Reply #255 on: April 04, 2015, 09:03:45 AM »
Devorah-
    The walk to Ralph's from HRH isn't bad...last year we did our grocery shopping and just called an Uber to pick us up and take us back to the hotel.  It was $8. 

Offline brand4d2

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 291
« Reply #256 on: April 05, 2015, 06:14:28 PM »
For those that are going to rely on the trolley, I highly recommend the Transit app [url][/http://transitapp.com/url].  It gives you everything you need to know to navigate the San Diego Trolley system - route maps, stops, schedules. 

I tried it out last year and it worked wonderfully.   Often times I'd miss a trolley by seconds and the app would give me a fairly accurate wait time for the next arrival. 

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #257 on: Today at 03:59:53 PM »

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 829
« Reply #257 on: April 10, 2015, 12:44:52 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Anti-perspirent.
Purell anti-bacteria hand sanitizer.
Vitamin C tablets.
Smartphone charger.
DSLR camera with flash (puts your smartphone camera to shame).
Charger for your DSLR camera battery.
At least two memory cards for your DSLR camera.
Protein snack bars.
Bottled water.
Aspirin.
Immodium.
Pocket tissues.
Writing pen.
Sharpie.
Sun block.
Listerine breath strips.
An apple and/or an orange.
Collapsible camping chair.
Knapsack/backpack to carry your gear.
Scotch tape.
A few extra lanyards.
Notepad.
Small first aid kit.
A book.
Playing cards.
And try to bring enough cash & loose change with you before you leave for your trip as ATMs at the Convention Center charge ridiculous fees.

Two more things:

Plastic sleeves for your autograph pictures.
A poster tube.
WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline iogpsych

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #258 on: April 10, 2015, 04:52:52 AM »
This is a pretty cool back pack that could combine many of the needs of a con goer. Could make life a bit easier anyways. We'll tried to paste the link but it didn't work. It's on the think geek website and it's called the Bag of Holding - Con Survival Edition. Seems pretty cool. I usually make many trips back and forth to the hotel so I don't really bring much with me but I can see where this would come in handy for sure!!!

Offline admiral-lira

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 46
« Reply #259 on: April 10, 2015, 07:10:42 AM »

It's on the think geek website and it's called the Bag of Holding - Con Survival Edition. Seems pretty cool.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #260 on: April 10, 2015, 07:28:13 AM »
Yep, I got one of those bags, and used it at ECCC and WonderCon. It was a good size and held what I needed it to hold. I'm planning to use it at SDCC.

Offline ttttt2007

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #261 on: April 15, 2015, 08:48:07 AM »
Throlos socks (made in America) best padded socks ever

you can order a free sample pair at their site:

I am looking at these two chairs.... need to be small enough for check in luggage and carry around. Price is not an issue. My back is an issue...

I am mainly more concern at carry weight vs folded size for mobility. And keep my lower back not in pain.

REI Flex Lite Chair
used this for SDCC 2013, it is very comfy... but takes up room in my check suitcase
Folded dimensions:   15 x 4.5 inches
Weight:   1 lb. 10 oz.

Therm-a-Rest Treo Chair
This one is what I might try this year, smaller, but heavier. Folder into a large water bottle shape.
Folded dimensions: 10.5 x 4.5 inches
Weight:   2 lbs. 6 oz.

Offline imcla

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #262 on: April 15, 2015, 11:19:38 AM »
I would definitely buy the bag of holding if the shipping to Brazil wasn't twice as much as the bag itself.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #263 on: April 15, 2015, 11:55:47 AM »
I would definitely buy the bag of holding if the shipping to Brazil wasn't twice as much as the bag itself.

You might be able to buy it at the con. Thinkgeek usually has a booth with limited products available. Contact them and ask if they will carry it at SDCC.

Offline imcla

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #264 on: April 15, 2015, 12:04:50 PM »
You might be able to buy it at the con. Thinkgeek usually has a booth with limited products available. Contact them and ask if they will carry it at SDCC.
Oh, that's a good idea, thanks!

ETA: I contacted them, they don't know yet but they might take it. I'll ask again closer to the convention, and if they still don't know for sure I could order and have it delivered to my hotel and pay only for local shipping.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 07:11:27 AM by imcla »

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #265 on: April 16, 2015, 12:19:54 PM »
Oh, that's a good idea, thanks!

ETA: I contacted them, they don't know yet but they might take it. I'll ask again closer to the convention, and if they still don't know for sure I could order and have it delivered to my hotel and pay only for local shipping.

If you remind them again later, they might, After all, it is the *convention* bag of holding! It would make sense to sell it at a convention!

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
« Reply #266 on: May 04, 2015, 02:35:48 PM »
Two more things:

Plastic sleeves for your autograph pictures.
A poster tube.

This, I cannot support this enough. One of my best con purchases was at Wondercon a few years ago. One of the big poster shops was selling poster tubes that came with a water resistant, fabric case with an adjustable should strap. I've taken it to every con since and it's been great for posters or any smaller paper I want to keep safe. It wasn't expensive at all either.

My brother usually asks me to pick up some Mondo LE posters for him and I didn't have a tube with me one of the years I went. Walking around with posters and such is such a pain, especially when you're trying to get out of the packed hall without damaging them.
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline buffyandstuff

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #267 on: May 06, 2015, 02:24:27 PM »
Oh Wise Ones:

Will I need a folding chair if I'm NOT attempting Hall H? I will probably attend a few panels on Friday, but will mostly be wandering. I wasn't lucky enough to get a hotel downtown, so I will have to carry it all day if so.

Opinions are much appreciated! Thanks. :)

Offline jristen

• Ballroom 20
  • stardust and stuff
  • Liked: 760
« Reply #268 on: May 06, 2015, 02:54:16 PM »
Oh Wise Ones:

Will I need a folding chair if I'm NOT attempting Hall H? I will probably attend a few panels on Friday, but will mostly be wandering. I wasn't lucky enough to get a hotel downtown, so I will have to carry it all day if so.

If you don't plan on waiting in lines, I would say you're fine without a chair. There's seating in parts of the convention hall (food tables basically) and I've sat down against the wall on the upper corridors when I've needed a break from wandering. And there's always seating the MMM or Hilton Bayfront lobby if you just need a break. Not to mention, all the panels have seating.

If you could be in some moderately long lines and would really something, I'd recommend a stadium seat (Coleman makes one that costs like $12). Those only weigh a few ounces and can help support your back. For something a little more chair like, the Big Agnes Helinox chair weighs 2 lbs and folds up to be really compact.

On an added note, I'd make sure whatever shoes you're wearing have a nicely padded sole and good support - that can make all the difference. Also, if you do get a blister, the First Aid booth has band aids if you need them.

Offline nvj29

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 40
« Reply #269 on: May 08, 2015, 07:18:56 AM »
Oh Wise Ones:

As jristen said, if just wandering then no chair is needed, but if planning on waiting in lines to attend Hall H or Ballroom 20 a small compact chair is good. Last year was my first time attending and I knew I was going to be a line junkie for H and B20, so I bought a compact chair from Five Below. It was small enough to fit in my suitcase and light enough to carry all day without it getting in my way. Since the chair only cost me $5, I had no plans on bringing it back home. The chair lasted me from Thurs to Sat before it died, so if you need something simple and have a Five Below store near you, it's something to consider that you can toss later if desired. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Posts, retweets, live tweets & comments of all things related to Me & My Nerd. @MeMyNerd/twitter & Tumblr