Author Topic: SDCC vs NYCC  (Read 3536 times)

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
SDCC vs NYCC
« on: October 06, 2017, 03:42:46 PM »
I found this online and thought it was pretty good...

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
Re: SDCC vs NYCC
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 06:26:32 PM »
Visual for Kierkegaard with Cavil?

Also, +1 for "IMF-like detail"

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 08:57:20 AM »

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
  • Liked: 1750
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 06:39:00 PM »
Haha. Very interesting. I think I should add mine to the list

SDCC - tons of autographs options free if you win the drawing
NYCC - kisses money goodbye

SDCC - Gaslamp nightlife & EW party
NYCC - The City is your oyster - No EW party
Time and Relative Dimension in Space - 'TARDIS' for short

Editor-in-Chief of the FoCC Blog

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 10:58:38 PM »
(Inspired by panels I attended in Hammerstein today)

Language:
SDCC--No swearing.  There are kids in the audience.
NYCC -- Who the f*** cares.  The kids have heard worse.

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 05:22:06 AM »
Here’s mine

Restaurants: SDCC - Waitstaff dress up in superhero t-shirts, menu superhero specials, there’s superhero stuff all around

NYCC - Guy at the pizza counter asks if it is Halloween yet

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 11:24:38 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Here’s mine

Restaurants: SDCC - Waitstaff dress up in superhero t-shirts, menu superhero specials, there’s superhero stuff all around

NYCC - Guy at the pizza counter asks if it is Halloween yet

I like this because there is so much going on in the city, almost nobody outside of those who go, even knows NYCC is happening.   ;D
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 11:35:23 AM by marcia29 »
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 11:31:23 AM »
I like this because there is so much going on in the city, almost nobody outside of those who go, even know NYCC is happening.   ;D

lol...Even the people going don't know what is going on!
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 829
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 01:49:15 PM »
SDCC: Publicity all over the city.
NYCC: None.

SDCC: Some restaurants offer discounts with badge.
NYCC: No such luck.

SDCC: Multiple days in one badge.
NYCC: Separate days on separate badges.
WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 11:37:11 AM »
Visual for Kierkegaard with Cavil?

Also, +1 for "IMF-like detail"

I just come here to stare at Henry.
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 11:44:55 AM »
SDCC: Publicity all over the city.
NYCC: None.

SDCC: Some restaurants offer discounts with badge.
NYCC: No such luck.

SDCC: Multiple days in one badge.
NYCC: Separate days on separate badges.

Im guessing since SDCC has been around longer then NYCC that it has been able to grow and attract attention in ways that they work with the city and places around so everyone gets fair amount of traffic from the con being a week and so i guess they have meetings with city and all to have everyone see what they can do to be part of the fun. i have read places even decorate or fix up places for event and as said give discounts if not already and everyone gains something while the event is going for the week.

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 12:21:13 PM »
Im guessing since SDCC has been around longer then NYCC that it has been able to grow and attract attention in ways that they work with the city and places around so everyone gets fair amount of traffic from the con being a week and so i guess they have meetings with city and all to have everyone see what they can do to be part of the fun. i have read places even decorate or fix up places for event and as said give discounts if not already and everyone gains something while the event is going for the week.

It's not just that SDCC has been around longer, but in terms of big conventions and events, SDCC is a lot bigger for the city of San Diego than NYCC is for New York. This article does a good job of summing up the impact of SDCC to the city of San Diego:

There was another article I read where some businesses rely on Comic Con weekend to come out ahead for the year. So it absolutely is advantageous for restaurants to market to Comic Con attendees, to dress up their restaurants and give discounts. I've talked with taxi drivers, and they all agree SDCC is their busiest weekend of the year.

I've never been to NYCC, but my impression is that it's just another event in New York. If you weren't in the immediate area of Javitt's Center, you wouldn't even know there was a Comic Con. I've been in New York to run the New York Marathon, which is the largest spectator event in the world (over 2 million lining the streets to watch), and if you weren't in the right parts of Manhattan, you wouldn't even know about it.

Here's the bottom line: NYCC is just another convention for New York, but SDCC is a huge deal and big moneymaker for San Diego. And hence you see the level of support.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 04:01:29 PM »
It's not just that SDCC has been around longer, but in terms of big conventions and events, SDCC is a lot bigger for the city of San Diego than NYCC is for New York. This article does a good job of summing up the impact of SDCC to the city of San Diego:

There was another article I read where some businesses rely on Comic Con weekend to come out ahead for the year. So it absolutely is advantageous for restaurants to market to Comic Con attendees, to dress up their restaurants and give discounts. I've talked with taxi drivers, and they all agree SDCC is their busiest weekend of the year.

I've never been to NYCC, but my impression is that it's just another event in New York. If you weren't in the immediate area of Javitt's Center, you wouldn't even know there was a Comic Con. I've been in New York to run the New York Marathon, which is the largest spectator event in the world (over 2 million lining the streets to watch), and if you weren't in the right parts of Manhattan, you wouldn't even know about it.

Here's the bottom line: NYCC is just another convention for New York, but SDCC is a huge deal and big moneymaker for San Diego. And hence you see the level of support.

I have never been to NYCC myself so i can only go by what i read and u mention how i guess u not in right areas then it just like another day till u closer to place then u might see some change but not sure if people do cosplay around con in New York much if at all. i just know from reading stuff and other ways that SDCC is like 1 of the top 3 cons and guess to me any other cons are created or become a con for anyone who cant get to any beyond what is possible. but it cool so many try to be like SDCC but in their own unique way.

Offline Miclpea

• Hall H
  • Liked: 350
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2017, 04:04:43 PM »

I totally agree!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2017, 05:44:40 PM »
I think NYC and San Diego are just worlds apart. Nothing really phases the people in NYC.  In NY, on any given day, you can see Cumberbatch eating brunch, Liev Schreiber jogging around, or Clive Owen on broadway.  Heck, when Trump was in town a few months ago, the only time the visit even came into conversation was people asking how long he’d be around so they can decide if they need to avoid the area around Trump Tower.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2017, 06:27:35 PM »
I think NYC and San Diego are just worlds apart. Nothing really phases the people in NYC.  In NY, on any given day, you can see Cumberbatch eating brunch, Liev Schreiber jogging around, or Clive Owen on broadway.  Heck, when Trump was in town a few months ago, the only time the visit even came into conversation was people asking how long he’d be around so they can decide if they need to avoid the area around Trump Tower.

I guess unless u really notice a star then they just blend in with the crowd lol