Author Topic: Salt Lake City Comic Con Issues Apology for Poor Planning  (Read 9240 times)

Offline ComicGirl

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 119
Re: Salt Lake City Comic Con Issues Apology for Poor Planning
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2014, 01:04:27 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

This guy has a nice unbiased view from an exhibitor standpoint as well. I guess he tried to post it on SLCC's Facebook page to give them feedback and they deleted it. Which is weird, because it's not all that negative and he said he would attend again.

Offline theresamather

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 34
Re: Sat Lake City Comic Con Issues Apology for Poor Planning
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2014, 01:06:33 PM »
Yes, bunyon treatment, and dentists, credit unions, Comcast, tele-marketing companies, credit card companies, several local TV stations, newspapers, etc... giving parts of it a disjointed trashy swap meet feel, all that was missing was the Slap Chop and Sham-wow booth.

It wasn't as bad a ratio as last year when I had a Deseret News subscription service booth next to mine. At least that guy was giving away fannish themed posters and stuff when people renewed their subscriptions.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #47 on: Today at 11:58:12 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2014, 01:08:15 PM »
I have heard the same thing about Comikaze.  I have never been so I can't confirm.

Offline theresamather

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2014, 01:15:26 PM »

This guy has a nice unbiased view from an exhibitor standpoint as well. I guess he tried to post it on SLCC's Facebook page to give them feedback and they deleted it. Which is weird, because it's not all that negative and he said he would attend again.

I read that earlier and agree with it. I want to love this show, I really do, but the way they're treating vendors is just flat out unprofessional and frankly, bizarre.

The fans, however, are enthusiastic, and ultimately are the reason I'm going to give it one more go.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Re: Sat Lake City Comic Con Issues Apology for Poor Planning
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2014, 01:16:57 PM »
Yes, bunyon treatment, and dentists, credit unions, Comcast, tele-marketing companies, credit card companies, several local TV stations, newspapers, etc... giving parts of it a disjointed trashy swap meet feel, all that was missing was the Slap Chop and Sham-wow booth.

But I love Sham-Wow! (j/k  ;D )

Thank you for your honest and open opinion, Theresa. It is very enlightening and interesting to hear about the con itself from your point of view. I can appreciate why you want this con to succeed and are willing to give it another chance.

Hopefully they will realize that to maintain growth and attendance they need to address some serious issues, both with attendees and vendors.

Offline theresamather

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2014, 01:20:42 PM »
I have heard the same thing about Comikaze.  I have never been so I can't confirm.

Honestly, I don't remember any, but it's been a couple of years since we went. That con I gave no second chance to. It was there for the sole purpose of selling Stan Lee autographs and photo ops. I broke even and considered myself lucky- I would never bother with that one again for a variety of reasons.

EDIT: this blog post sums up why, from an exhibitor standpoint, Comikaze is dicey for many of us. Some of my issues are different but this will give you the gist.   You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 01:39:08 PM by theresamather »

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2014, 01:22:13 PM »
Does anyone know if the center they use has different "Wings" or areas? Like with C2E2, the center they use has I think, 4 different areas and they've changed wings before based on the previous year and feedback. Could SLCCC do the same? Or are they kinda stuck with the bad floor plan/layout?

Offline theresamather

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2014, 01:37:30 PM »
They used both wings, the layout problems in my opinion were created by their own lack of organization or understanding of foot traffic patterns, not the shape of the center.

Offline ComicGirl

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 119
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2014, 08:55:05 PM »

I will have to agree to disagree with you here also. If it’s not about the name, then they have no case requesting they change their name. The request is clear: that SLCC immediately discontinues using any variation of “Comic Con,” removes it completely from their website, and hands over their current domain name (saltlakecomiccon.com) to CCI.

The bulk of the C&D appears to be them being upset at SLCC driving its car around San Diego. They didn’t like SLCC’s brand of Maverick advertising, but don’t have any legal recourse, because, driving a car with your show’s name on it on public roads is not illegal. They’d probably have a case if SLCC was doing an unauthorized form of advertising inside the convention center during SDCC, but saying “you drove your car around San Diego; therefore you cannot use any variation of Comic Con” is, in my opinion an extremely weak, even illogical argument. (Not to mention, I want to know who exactly assumed that just because they saw the car in San Diego automatically assumed that it was owned by CCI. It seems like a silly assumption.)

There are people who automatically assume that everything called “Comic Con” is run by the same organization, but once they find out that there are different people that put on different comic cons, they accept it easily. I don’t see a car swaying someone’s opinion, before or after.

Interesting takes on the C&D and wrapped car:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk