Author Topic: AMD Ryzen versus Intel Processor  (Read 9531 times)

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
Re: AMD Ryzen versus Intel Processor
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2022, 10:00:32 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Well it's really more than just a CPU discussion right? Need to look at the bigger build :D
Speaking of, what GPU did you land on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login?

I am between these two processors:

2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2022, 10:05:48 AM »
I am between these two processors:

Both excellent...and your graphics card?
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 04:53:25 AM »

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2022, 10:07:37 AM »
Both excellent...and your graphics card?

I replaced mine two years ago so I am just going to stick with it, crazy how it's a little over $100 more now.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2022, 10:35:46 AM »
If I am doing this right, here is what I am looking at (with the processor possibly switched out)

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2022, 10:47:24 AM »
If I am doing this right, here is what I am looking at (with the processor possibly switched out)

Comes up with "This part list is private"

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2022, 10:50:35 AM »
Comes up with "This part list is private"

How about now?

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2022, 10:53:28 AM »
Looks good!

Offline Car_Low

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 610
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2022, 01:55:29 PM »
or do I stick with a lower price knowing I may need to replace it a couple of years earlier.  My wallet is thinking on it.

The way I see it is buy what fits your needs now instead of spending extra money. Yeah you might have to replace it sooner but by the time you replace it there are better parts for cheaper you can buy with the difference saved from buying higher end stuff earlier.

If its between the two processers you listed just go with the 5800x unless you really need the extra cores for like rendering stuff should last you like 5 years at least. But your build looks good.

Throwing out another option out there if you are willing to spend a extra $50-100 for the 12700k and a z690 board it benchmarks better than a 5800x.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 02:01:11 PM by Car_Low »

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2022, 03:02:57 PM »
Thanks You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  that video was helpful.  I do think the intel 7i 12000K looks better than the AMD 5800 and really it's pretty much the same in cost.  Well unless you all decide this isn't the best build for the intel side.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2022, 04:30:31 PM »
Thanks You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  that video was helpful.  I do think the intel 7i 12000K looks better than the AMD 5800 and really it's pretty much the same in cost.  Well unless you all decide this isn't the best build for the intel side.

first thoughts without diving into the details of the parts
If the 12700 was avalible when i built I would have found the extra money.

Look hard at the features of the mobo- desplay ports? you'll need adaptors if you plan on useing your current monitors, wifi etc all

I'm not sure you'll need that big a power supply. There's a ps calculator out there somewhere. I can try and find it tomorrow.

64 gig of mem is a lot, if you want to shave cost right now, get a single 32 & plan on asking for the second stick for christmas ;)

and lastly
what do folks think about a basic water cool system like this You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline rbf32

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 23
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2022, 05:26:05 PM »

I'm not sure you'll need that big a power supply. There's a ps calculator out there somewhere. I can try and find it tomorrow.

and lastly
what do folks think about a basic water cool system like this You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

you're correct about the PSU, that build is approx 310w and the amd is 285.

as for the water cooling, i tend to prefer air cooling cuz it does a better job imo -- but that specific unit gets great reviews such as this one You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2022, 08:29:24 AM »
first thoughts without diving into the details of the parts
If the 12700 was avalible when i built I would have found the extra money.

Look hard at the features of the mobo- desplay ports? you'll need adaptors if you plan on useing your current monitors, wifi etc all

64 gig of mem is a lot, if you want to shave cost right now, get a single 32 & plan on asking for the second stick for christmas ;)

and lastly
I thought about water cooling for my rig, but the combination of (1) not-overclocking, (2) the great reviews of the fan that I picked up, and (3) just my own personal skeeviness of "water in my computer" idea, I leaned towards the fan.

Note on the memory...look at the specs of the board and stuff, as there have been at times a certain finickiness of using only single slots.  The standard is to use two slots at a time.  And when you do want to use the other two, getting the same speed, CL, etc., helps w/any issues.  Just my .02c.

I camped out on this subreddit (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login) a ton reading/asking stuff before I built mine.  There are a boatload of great resources here, if you haven't looked into this one already.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2022, 10:18:08 AM »
and lastly

Unless you are pushing the limits of overclocking, I don't think it's worth the cost or the hassle.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2022, 11:11:08 AM »
I am not worried about running my monitors since I am keeping my video card.  Both have HDMI ports.  Though at some point I would like to upgrade one of them, that is just because I saw Michael's though.

I did the two sticks of memory because like You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login said I have heard there are issues with just one and I could have done 2 16GB, however, I decided it just made more sense to get more than I need.  No one celebrates Christmas in this house, so it's all on me.  What I will get later though is another NvME when my wallet has recovered.

I know my fan isn't the top of the line but it has good reviews and it's something I can upgrade at a later time and I won't feel I wasted my money.  I honestly think having a spare is not a bad idea at the end of the day. I can't imagine I will ever be overclocking. 

I love this though, I am learning so much.  Though I admit a few times I had to ask a friend "what are they talking about"

Motherboards still confuse me though, I find those the hardest to pick out. 

Offline rbf32

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 23
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2022, 11:38:50 AM »
I am not worried about running my monitors since I am keeping my video card.  Both have HDMI ports.  Though at some point I would like to upgrade one of them, that is just because I saw Michael's though.

I did the two sticks of memory because like You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login said I have heard there are issues with just one and I could have done 2 16GB, however, I decided it just made more sense to get more than I need.  No one celebrates Christmas in this house, so it's all on me.  What I will get later though is another NvME when my wallet has recovered.

I know my fan isn't the top of the line but it has good reviews and it's something I can upgrade at a later time and I won't feel I wasted my money.  I honestly think having a spare is not a bad idea at the end of the day. I can't imagine I will ever be overclocking. 

I love this though, I am learning so much.  Though I admit a few times I had to ask a friend "what are they talking about"

Motherboards still confuse me though, I find those the hardest to pick out.

i had the same issue picking out a motherboard, at the end of the day I went with the things that were most important for me. usb ports, wifi and bluetooth. ended up with the tuf gaming x570 pro and i love it!