Author Topic: WonderCon Tips  (Read 54729 times)

Offline Sprzout

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 15
Re: WonderCon Tips
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 10:01:23 AM »
Panels didn't seem to be a problem at all. I got into the Geek & Sundry panel without a problem, and was sitting about 4 rows from the front to see Wil Wheaton talk about Tabletop.

When I went to the Spotlight on Ernest Cline panel, there were (sadly) only about 25 people in the room, and no lines.

Don't get me wrong, there were still lots of people around on the exhibit hall floor and in the panels, but they weren't SDCC crowded...I kinda liked it, and I think my wife will enjoy it this year when she goes for the first time.

Yzrfan

WonderCon Tips
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 10:06:48 AM »
Lets hope it stays the same this year.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 05:03:13 AM »

Offline beadrbop

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 86
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2013, 10:01:56 AM »
I had friends that flew in to see the Battleship panel with Alexander Skarsgard so we lined up at 6 am. Yes we were pretty much the first ones on line and did great great seats (front row). Definitely not the camping out experience like Comic Con. Saw all the panels on Saturday from great seats.

Don't remember a lot of swag but there were a lot of great vendors for buying art supplies like Copic Markers (at a great discount). Good poster vendor as well with a nice selection and they also had poster tubes that had a strap making it easy to carry.

Offline Hidajunshin

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2013, 12:33:42 PM »
Some good news: it would appear that WonderCon is the only thing happening at the Anaheim Convention Center that weekend.  No volleyball tournament! So at the very least, there should be more parking available.  I recall last year that the garage for the convention center was full with mostly those folks attending the tournament.

Yzrfan

WonderCon Tips
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2013, 12:53:52 PM »
 It will be nice that nothing else is planned at the convention center this year.

Online Kevin Rutan

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 360
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2013, 01:09:24 PM »
With nothing else planned that weekend at least there will be full access to all of the parking stuctures unlike last year. Very welcome news.
Geology isn't a real science. -Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Yzrfan

WonderCon Tips
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2013, 02:06:24 PM »
True. But the parking was still much better than at SDCC

Offline beadrbop

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 86
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2013, 09:44:09 PM »
Parking was a mess last year! I kept the car at the hotel and just grabbed a taxi or a ride from friends. Had some that could not get any parking and did do the shuttle. Hopefully they will have something available again if parking gets to be a mess. The cheer competition made it pretty crowded. I keep hearing the WonderCon commercial on the local radio station.

Offline dolphina

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Live Long and Prosper
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2014, 12:08:58 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Bring the swag and the nerds will come.
That will certainly bring me. In fact, for Dean Koontz he gave away one of his paperback books, which was nice to have while waiting in other lines.
A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting”

Wondercon, SDCC, Comikazi, Blizzcon, SWCA, D23

Offline lexiatcci

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2014, 09:09:31 PM »
That will certainly bring me. In fact, for Dean Koontz he gave away one of his paperback books, which was nice to have while waiting in other lines.
Did you know that ODD THOMAS (the movie) is available on Amazon for rental with good ratings. Might want to check it out.

Offline Jim Watari

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Twitter @jwatari
  • Liked: 584
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2014, 06:19:30 AM »
Did you know that ODD THOMAS (the movie) is available on Amazon for rental with good ratings. Might want to check it out.

They did a pretty good job with the movie and having Anton Yelchin as Odd helps a lot
The more things change, the more they stay the same

Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: It's okay, I'm a leaf on the wind!
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: What does that mean?

Offline BadWolf

• Volunteer HQ
  • It's all the same to the many faced god.
  • Liked: 691
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2014, 07:39:58 AM »
Parking was a mess last year! I kept the car at the hotel and just grabbed a taxi or a ride from friends. Had some that could not get any parking and did do the shuttle. Hopefully they will have something available again if parking gets to be a mess. The cheer competition made it pretty crowded. I keep hearing the WonderCon commercial on the local radio station.

Can you walk from Harbor and Katella to the convention center?

Offline lexiatcci

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2014, 09:21:16 AM »
I live about 30 minutes away and just drove in every day and parked across the street from the convention center in the Disneyland parking for $16/day, much cheaper than parking at th Garden Walk parking structure for $25/day and further away.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2014, 09:40:07 AM »
Can you walk from Harbor and Katella to the convention center?

Yes.

Here's a map:

You can walk east along Katella and to the Convention center from the Arena side. Or you can walk down Harbor and go in the 'main entrance'. Either way, you're looking at about 5 minutes (especially if you're doing your 'fast Disney walk').

We stay at the Paradise Pier (up West Dr./Disneyland Dr., just barely above the upper left corner of this map) and it takes us about 7 minutes to walk to the Convention Center, coming in on the arena side.

Offline Jim Watari

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Twitter @jwatari
  • Liked: 584
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2014, 10:01:00 AM »

What I found the last two years was that there was parking really close that most people don't know about. Look at the map posted in the previous reply. Find the Sheraton Park Hotel at the Anaheim Resort, the building south of the hotel is Morton's steak house and you can enter off of Harbor just before Convention way. Drive in like you are going to Morton's Steak house, drive past it (going west) and you will see an entrance for Sheraton Park Hotel parking. It's $20 per day, but it's right next to the Hilton. Every time I've gone in the morning, there are always spaces available because the entrance is only visible from the Morton's Steak house parking lot. The signs around the convention center will direct you only the convention center parking lots and those fill up fast.
The more things change, the more they stay the same

Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: It's okay, I'm a leaf on the wind!
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: What does that mean?