Author Topic: Wondercon: traveling advice?  (Read 15609 times)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Re: Wondercon: traveling advice?
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2015, 08:58:33 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I took a leap & booked a heated tent in Yosemite proper...  it's cancel-able & needed to get something on paper - Plus it gives me something to train for this winter.

i can cancel 7 days prior to arrival.  i'll see what the weather is trending & make a call then-  i'm sure i can find something else to do in CA ;)
Awesome!! :D :D

Offline dolphina

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Live Long and Prosper
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2015, 02:58:09 PM »
You are right, there is ALWAYS something to do in California and if you decide to stay in Yosemite you will love it, beautiful place and make sure to have a meal at Ahwahnee hotel, its fabulous, I remember seeing deer on the lawn when I was there having breakfast.
A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting”

Wondercon, SDCC, Comikazi, Blizzcon, SWCA, D23

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 12:51:50 PM »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2015, 05:06:29 PM »
You are right, there is ALWAYS something to do in California and if you decide to stay in Yosemite you will love it, beautiful place and make sure to have a meal at Ahwahnee hotel, its fabulous, I remember seeing deer on the lawn when I was there having breakfast.
Yeah, that's a fun destination even if you're not eating a meal!  Beautiful hotel (and the very obvious inspiration for the Grand Californian Hotel at Disneyland)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2015, 06:54:30 PM »
it's not completely set in my mind since i go back & forth between wanting a remote secluded cabin with gorgeous views & the challenge of Yosemite. thankfully, i'm much more of a mountain person then a beach person so either of those locations are possible in that area

i've got plenty of time to decided-  ;) <resisting the desire to hyper-plan>
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 07:05:57 PM by alyssa »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2015, 08:41:25 AM »
it's not completely set in my mind since i go back & forth between wanting a remote secluded cabin with gorgeous views & the challenge of Yosemite. thankfully, i'm much more of a mountain person then a beach person so either of those locations are possible in that area

i've got plenty of time to decided-  ;) <resisting the desire to hyper-plan>
HA!
My wife is a hyper-planner, and I'm a go-with-the-flow type.  It's taken us until the last couple of years(celebrating 17 years of marriage Saturday, 20 years of serious relationship this summer) to figure out how to mash the two trip-planning types!  FWIW my wife was AMAZING planning our trip last year to Sequoia, Yosemite, Sacramento, San Francisco, and back to San Diego (she's been awesome planning all of our trips); I'm very content getting in the car when she tells me to, getting out wherever she stops, etc.  Lol

FYI last February (22nd to be exact) my wife and some friends decided on the spur of the moment to drive over to Yosemite, from Fresno, while at a conference.  They drove over in the morning, ate lunch at the Hotel and wandered around the park, and drove back late afternoon.  So you can maybe do any of that stuff fairly on-the-fly depending on weather

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Crazy-Town Banana-Pants!
  • Liked: 684
Re: Re: Traveling Southwest to SDCC?
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2015, 12:18:59 PM »
since i've only got 2-3 days/nites there, i'm thinking it really needs to be one or the other, yosemite or sequoia.  I have been to yosemite once years ago but I've never done half dome.  question is, will it be do-able late march-  i am clueless abt snow pack out there.  anyone know?

I am feeling the need to book a place tho-  yes, the hyper-planer is nagging at my brain.

I may re-book my sdcc sw flights out of the closer more expensive city.
First, you will need a permit if you ever want to hike Half Dome, especially getting to the top. More info about it is here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login Permits do go fast so be on top of that when on sale. Also, because of the threat of snow during that time and as someone pointed out about El Niño, which is predicted to match or top the 1997-98 season, I doubt Half Dome will be open. Right now, certain parts of the park are closed until late spring/early summer. Half Dome usually opens up in May when the cables are up due to no snow. I like visiting the park in May--the weather is nice, the water falls are at their best, and certain parts are opening up again.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 12:25:59 PM by Mario Wario »
Twitter: @ScottyTheWise

2014: SDCC, LBCC
2015: WC, SWCA, WW Sac., D23, LBCC, Comikaze
2016: SVCC, WC, SDCC
2017: ECCC, WC, SVCC, D23, SDCC
2018: WC, SVCC, E3, SDCC
2019: WC, SDCC, D23
2022: SWCA, SDCC, D23
2023: SDCC

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2015, 01:02:00 PM »
Okay, I'm not an expert here, but.... my husband hikes up Half Dome every few years (he's done it a handful of times). He has never needed a permit. He takes the walking trail, and it is crowded with people.

I believe the permits are for people who want to climb up the vertical side. That's much more of a production, and requires special gear, sleeping overnight while hanging in midair, etc.

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Crazy-Town Banana-Pants!
  • Liked: 684
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2015, 01:16:16 PM »
Okay, I'm not an expert here, but.... my husband hikes up Half Dome every few years (he's done it a handful of times). He has never needed a permit. He takes the walking trail, and it is crowded with people.

I believe the permits are for people who want to climb up the vertical side. That's much more of a production, and requires special gear, sleeping overnight while hanging in midair, etc.
Hmmmmm, I do know the park rangers do push for every person to have one. Do they watch every spot? Not really. I believe when the cables are down you can do it without it, IF the weather is just right and are skilled at climbing/hiking. Could be wrong so double check on that. Without a permit during the season or not, you can do half way up to Half Dome. You talking about that? And yes, it can get crowded. Too crowded in my mind, especially during the summer time.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 01:32:57 PM by Mario Wario »
Twitter: @ScottyTheWise

2014: SDCC, LBCC
2015: WC, SWCA, WW Sac., D23, LBCC, Comikaze
2016: SVCC, WC, SDCC
2017: ECCC, WC, SVCC, D23, SDCC
2018: WC, SVCC, E3, SDCC
2019: WC, SDCC, D23
2022: SWCA, SDCC, D23
2023: SDCC

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2015, 01:53:43 PM »

It sounded weird to me too - I hiked Half Dome years ago with no permit - but he's right. I just checked Wikipedia and the Park Service website, and permits for the walking trail up Half Dome are now required seven days a week and have been since 2011. Supposedly a ranger is stationed at the top of Quarter Dome (the point where it switches from trail-hiking to sort of hauling yourself up a cable-and-board ladder) and will turn back anyone without a permit.

I haven't been in a few years though, so I can't speak to how strictly it's enforced.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2015, 03:47:25 PM »
Okay, news to me. I know my husband has done it at least twice since 2011 and has never had a permit.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2016, 05:09:52 PM »
plans are finalized, complete with plane re-booking, car rental adjustments and hotel changes. <whew>

i should have 2 full days in yosemite- i've got a cabin booked just out side of the valley- well inside the park.  I want seclusion & quiet between the two con's.
Thx for the suggestion of the nice hotel restaurant- I'll book a rez for dinner there one nite  :)

i've got plenty of time to look into half-dome/other trails. it'll be weather dependent too  ;)
thanks everyone for the assist in the planing stage-  it's super nice to get things sorted, set & off my plate of things to do!  i'm super excited
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 05:12:42 PM by alyssa »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline ceddyced

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 45
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2016, 09:05:25 PM »
plans are finalized, complete with plane re-booking, car rental adjustments and hotel changes. <whew>

i should have 2 full days in yosemite- i've got a cabin booked just out side of the valley- well inside the park.  I want seclusion & quiet between the two con's.
Thx for the suggestion of the nice hotel restaurant- I'll book a rez for dinner there one nite  :)

i've got plenty of time to look into half-dome/other trails. it'll be weather dependent too  ;)
thanks everyone for the assist in the planing stage-  it's super nice to get things sorted, set & off my plate of things to do!  i'm super excited
I'm looking to make a first trip to Yosemite during the summer, how did you book the cabin?
Destruct sequence 1 code 1 1 A.
SDCC 2000-2019

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2016, 04:49:22 AM »
i looked at both Airbnb & Vbro.  I ended up getting the cabin via the vbro site- You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
half down & half the month before.  the rental had lots of positive feedback's

Vibro seemed to have a bit more selections, but i've used airbnb before so trust it a bit more.

when are you going?

Offline ceddyced

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 45
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2016, 10:19:42 AM »
Planning for a trip during August.  Hotels seem to be outside of park and a cabin may be closer to the action.  Not looking forward to daily drives to and from Yosemite.
Destruct sequence 1 code 1 1 A.
SDCC 2000-2019

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2016, 10:22:35 AM »
Planning for a trip during August.  Hotels seem to be outside of park and a cabin may be closer to the action.  Not looking forward to daily drives to and from Yosemite.
I stay in a hotel in the town right outside Yosemite; it was about a 20 minute drive to the park, but town was close to grocery stores, restaurants, etc.  It was significantly cheaper than anything in the park, and though not as nice as the cabins look it was fairly convenient